“Fifth visit to the Kissos”
Review of Kissos Hotel

Kissos Hotel
Ranked #46 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Fifth visit to the Kissos”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

As the title say`s this is not the first trip to this hotel, I went by myself for a week in May 2013 to meet friends who live there and have a little R and R. My wife and I have been going to Paphos for almost 15 years now and love the place, we dont always stay at the Kissos, because we like the freedom of a villa and car but this hotel was the first one on the island that we stayed in.
I went there because the staff are friendly (especially Tina), the hotel is tidy, it is situated in a central position for most things, yet not rowdy. A good all rounder.
I went on B&B option this stay, and yes, the food is not gourmet, but it`s not bad either, it`s a 3 star hotel, and a good one at that, this is value for money at the top end as far as I am concerned.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a decent hotel but does not want to pay an arm and a leg in the process. I can not fault it, and i`m a Yorkshireman !!
Give it a try, you wont be disappointed !
P.S. the picture is me aged 10.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank y0bytyke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Polish first
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I don't understand the hotel star rating system; I have stayed in many hotels all over the world, and in my opinion, some of the 4 star establishments don't even warrant 2 star (especially the Italian hotels)! And yet here is the Kissos with only 3 stars when I would happily give it 4! I suppose it's down to facilities - the Kissos doesn't have room service, a 24 hour Coffee Shop, mini bar, free toiletries, etc. etc., but what it does have is very friendly and courteous staff and simple but well maintained facilities. The hotel is situated a short walk from the Kings of the Tombs Road and on this road, you will find a good selection of bars and restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets, shops, car and bike hire plus the bus stops to take you into town or out to Coral Bay. (Walking into the harbour takes about 25 minutes or so.)
The check in at reception was great with a receptionist who was friendly and amusing and full of recommendations of place to eat (my arrival was late in the evening). The reception area was spacious and cool and my standard room on the first floor was a short walk up the curving marble staircase! The twin bedded room was quite spacious and spotlessly clean with a small balcony looking across the car park - not as bad as it sounds; I had no noise from the car park and the road outside was very quiet. The bathroom was again spotlessly clean with shower over the bath and nice towels. Small tablets of soap are provided but you may want to take your own favourite shower gel, etc. I like a firm mattress on the bed and it was fine for me but some people may find it too hard but I understand that mattress toppers (and additional pillows) are available from reception. The furnishings were basic with a lot of natural wood but all in good condition and the room lighting was excellent - no problem reading in bed! If you want to use the mini safe and fridge, you have to pay €4 per day (May/June 2013) but you can then fill the fridge with whatever you want. (The fridge is situated in a wooden cabinet so you need to wedge the door open slightly so that more air can get around the fridge otherwise it overheats and works practically continuously - not something you want to hear when you are trying to sleep!) The air con. is efficient although a little noisy - I found that I didn't need it on during the night as by leaving the window open slightly, the breeze kept the room cool.
The breakfast was extensive with a Full English on offer or a Continental or you could have some of one and some of the other; some mornings there were fried eggs, other mornings scrambled. The quality of the food was not top notch but certainly passable. Tea and coffee were good but as for the toast, those conveyor-belt toasters hotels use are completely useless! I didn't try the rest of the meals on offer but dinner is served in the spacious restaurant and a buffet lunch is served outside on the Terrace next to the pool.
There were plenty of sun loungers around the pools (all clean and very well maintained) and a nice seating area next to the pool.bar. In the grounds of the hotel are a tennis court, a French Boules area, short mat bowls and crazy golf. There is also an indoor games room. Entertainment is offered on a couple of nights a week but there is plenty of other places to go nearby the hotel.
This was my first visit to Paphos (and in fact to Cyprus!) and I would have no hesitation in staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank CalBristol
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I have just returned from ten days at the Kissos Hotel in Paphos Cyprus and I can tell you it was money well spent, i did read a couple of reviews before we went that were not very nice, but i can honestly say we absolutely loved it and we will have no hesitation in booking it again in the future.
We were dubious at booking a three star hotel as usually go for four, but on arrival at the hotel we were so pleased. It was better than many four star hotels we have been to abroad.
It was spotlessly clean and the staff just could not have been more helpful with any thing we asked for, nothing was too much trouble day or night.
The rooms were not luxurious but were clean and up to date and we certainly had no complaints.
Things like kettles, fridge and safe had to be paid for which was €20 but the air conditioning is free.
The food was very good and there was a wide variety every night so you would always find something to your liking, and my son absolutely loved the many desserts on offer.
The entertainment wasn't fantastic but as you were only five minutes walk from the main strip there was plenty of choice outside the hotel.
The pool was very clean and there was never a shortage of Sunbed's whatever time of day.
The excursions were many and really great value. Most were around €30 and all picked you up and returned you to your hotel, it was cheaper to book them with an operator based on the strip than with your tour operator. A trip to the monastery is well worth it as it is beautiful, and also the Wave dancer half day cruise is fantastic.
We had never been to Cyprus before and were obviously worried with the money situation, but there was no problem at all and it is such a gorgeous country, with the friendliest people we have ever met, we will definately be going back and I would definately stay at the Kissos Hotel again as it was really great value for money.

Room Tip: A pool view is much nicer as road on otherside.
3 Thank sharon b
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Husband, daughter, daughter's partner, granddaughter and I visited the Kissos Hotel 25th May to 1st June this year to attend a family wedding at a neighbouring hotel. We paid an acceptable price for this 3 star, half board accommodation and everything except the food was exactly what you'd expect in this price group. Our first meal at the Kissos was breakfast and we walked into a nicely laid out restaurant, clean and tastefully furnished and our hungry (had arrived very late night before) hopes rose - oh dear, what a disappointment awaited us! The fare, although a wide variety of the usual breakfast items was on offer - fruit, cereal, bread/toast, yogurts, juices and a range of 'hot' items, was of such a poor quality even the toasted sliced bread was unappetising and hard to swallow! Perhaps dinner would be better we thought - in vain as it turned out! The following 7 nights - no that was 6 as we opted to eat at a lovely cafe up the road on our last night just do we could face the flight on a full stomach! The quality of food overall was very poor and, although nicely presented etc., made us wonder if the hotel was on some kind of economy drive (I had spoken to a fellow guest who was on her fourth return visit there and she said she had never known such bad food). I wouldn't describe our family group as any kind of gastro gourmets but neither are we particularly fussy or hard to please and was shocked to read other reviewers of the same week describe the food as 'excellent'!

Well, that's enough of the (only) negative view of this hotel, although the entertainment could have been better - now on to the many good points. The staff are really the making of this hotel, courteous,friendly, very helpful and so hardworking (noticed a distinct lack of numbers with many doubling up duties every day). Decor and comfort were excellent as was overall cleanliness. Both pools were cleaned daily and comfortably shallow for even cautious non-swimmers. The big pool was seldom overcrowded and the lagoon pool was beautifully tranquil just to float along! Our room was spacious enough and serviced each day to a high standard (my daughters maid even tidied their piles of clothes to not look so messy!), beds very comfy and fridge and safe available at a combined price of e4 per night.

Location was ideal for us as we'd been to Paphos the year before and stayed further down the same road but closer to Coral Beach. The Kissos is within easy travelling distance - local buses every 15 mins or so and very cheap - of Paphos town and harbour one way and Coral Beach the other.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay apart from the food. Would we return? Yes, if we wanted a value holiday but would stay bed and breakfast only - plenty of good eateries within easy walking distance!

Room Tip: We requested and got a pool view which was just right at the time we stayed. However, high season w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Barbara E
Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed a week in this hotel with my mum. Lovely clean and well looked after place, with plenty of good food to choose from. Had half board deal that turned out to be flexible in that we could swap our evening meal for a lunch if we wanted. All meals were buffet style with great choice. Rooms were clean, but beds were rather hard, though Mattress toppers can be requested via reception to rectify this. Staff were all very friendly, helpful and extremely hard working! Air conditioning was free- which was a real godsend! The pools were spotless and very well maintained, with plenty of sunbeds which were cleaned every morning! The lagoon pool is every bit as lovely as it looks on the photos, and the premier rooms either side of it are definitely worth the extra euros,as they are larger, and fridge and safe are included in price. Main hotel charges 4euros per day, which I thought was a bit steep! Great holiday. Would go back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing car park are quieter. Overlooks quiet side road and still got sea view. Rooms by lagoon...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Clare H
wolverhampton
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We have just got home after a week at the Kissos. I can honestly say we had a really lovely time. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff; they were very friendly and attentive. There was a very good selection of food and plenty of it. On arrival for our first meal, the restaurant staff noticed my mom walking with sticks and immediately arranged for us to sit near the buffet area. The pool area was very well equipped and plenty of sun beds. The hotel was spotlessly clean. We were a group of 6, with an age range of 7 to 74 and this wonderful hotel had something for everyone. We are planning on returning in September.

7 Thank vickypj
Rustington, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I booked a weeks holiday in the kissos for myself,daughter and partener.it was a twin room which sleeps 3 adults.i expected a twin room with a pullout bed in the lounge area.i was horrified to find it was just one small room with2 single beds and a camp bed.i would not expect my partner to share the same small room as my daughter.the only alternative we had was for my partner to have a room on his own.they would not take anything off the price of the room even though he had paid already paid.they were very unsympathetic.it turned out to be a very expensive holiday and my partener did not think he would be spending every night alone.i was disgusted. everything in the hotel was very basic and the entertainment was almost non existant.im so glad it was just for one week.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms..a very small room is supposed to sleep 3 adults and the 3rd bed is a camp b...
1 Thank julielen