I booked the Crown Resort Horizon Paphos for a 9 day break over the Christmas period for myself, wife and mother in law as we could not face Christmas in the UK following the death of my father in law earlier in the year.
I was advised by my travel agent that the hotel catered well for the traveller seeking a Christmas break and that the all-inclusive package included a full entertainment program which was just what we wanted to take our minds off other things. Weather was not really an issue we just wanted to be entertained and to be in different surroundings.
The Hotel was rated a 4 star and to be fair it is. Rooms are more than comfortable, clean and well equipped. We had two adjoining rooms facing the pool and sea, very nice. Balcony was a little small but we did not have much cause to use it. The external pool looked great as did the view across the gardens and I am sure these are a big attraction during the summer however it was too cold to use during the Christmas break which was pretty much what we expected at this time of year.
The indoor pool was pleasant warm and inviting as was the Jacuzzi /waterfall area. Although not large, this area was never crowded during our stay and we used it frequently. The internal facilities also included segregated steam rooms and saunas for men and women together with gymnasium for those seeking a good workout. The Gym was well equipped and never crowded.
On the downside the men’s steam room only seemed to work intermittently during our stay and the engineers seemed to be constantly tinkering with it until one morning I was told that it had broken and would not be fixed until parts could be obtained. Not great for a four star especially when the hotel was fully booked.
In General the hotel was as advertised except for the entertainment which I have to say was sadly lacking. As one 85 year old guest said to me “I going to Benidorm next year it’s to quirt here!”
Yes there was entertainment every night of sorts, magicians, Dancers, live music etc. but on most nights it was for only 45 minutes between 21.45 and 22.30 the hotel then fell silent save the moaning of the guests. Early to bed I guess
Quality of the entertainment was not the best either nor was the location of the stage.
The main thoroughfare had been transformed into the seating area with the stage in the middle which meant that the acts had to perform in three directions simultaneously and that unless you were seated right at the front you could not see or hear very much of what was going on.
I expect the setup is totally different during the summer.
The in house animator did try to extend things a little with a pre-entertainment game of Bingo. Just the one mind you at 21.30 – 21.45 and whilst she tried there was little more to occupy the guests during the day apart from a game of darts, snooker. Etc. All credit to her she did try hard to get people interested but there was just a lack of enthusiasm.
What it needed!!!!
1. A little low key piped music during the day? Instead of the deathly silence
2. A full evening’s entertainment programme even if it’s just music from 20.00 – 24.00 especially at Christmas.
3. Additional activities during the day including use of the equipment when the animator is off duty especially when the weather is a bit inclement.
4. More bar staff to reduce queuing at peak times
5. Put the peanuts out!! Don’t make the guests ask for them
In my opinion there was just a lack of atmosphere and Christmas spirit within the hotel, sure the food was good as was the service and the staff were polite and attentive but it reminded me more of a business hotel rather than a Christmas holiday destination. Attention to detail comes to mind. Where is the fun!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Bookcyprus.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Booking.com, Cancelon, Priceline, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Crown Resorts Horizon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crown Resorts Horizon Hotel Paphos
- Crown Hotel Paphos
- Crown Horizon
- Crown Hotel Horizon