“Good but lacking a Christmas spirit”

Crown Resorts Horizon
Ranked #65 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Kent
“Good but lacking a Christmas spirit”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I booked the Crown Resort Horizon Paphos for a 9 day break over the Christmas period for myself, wife and mother in law as we could not face Christmas in the UK following the death of my father in law earlier in the year.
I was advised by my travel agent that the hotel catered well for the traveller seeking a Christmas break and that the all-inclusive package included a full entertainment program which was just what we wanted to take our minds off other things. Weather was not really an issue we just wanted to be entertained and to be in different surroundings.
The Hotel was rated a 4 star and to be fair it is. Rooms are more than comfortable, clean and well equipped. We had two adjoining rooms facing the pool and sea, very nice. Balcony was a little small but we did not have much cause to use it. The external pool looked great as did the view across the gardens and I am sure these are a big attraction during the summer however it was too cold to use during the Christmas break which was pretty much what we expected at this time of year.
The indoor pool was pleasant warm and inviting as was the Jacuzzi /waterfall area. Although not large, this area was never crowded during our stay and we used it frequently. The internal facilities also included segregated steam rooms and saunas for men and women together with gymnasium for those seeking a good workout. The Gym was well equipped and never crowded.
On the downside the men’s steam room only seemed to work intermittently during our stay and the engineers seemed to be constantly tinkering with it until one morning I was told that it had broken and would not be fixed until parts could be obtained. Not great for a four star especially when the hotel was fully booked.
In General the hotel was as advertised except for the entertainment which I have to say was sadly lacking. As one 85 year old guest said to me “I going to Benidorm next year it’s to quirt here!”
Yes there was entertainment every night of sorts, magicians, Dancers, live music etc. but on most nights it was for only 45 minutes between 21.45 and 22.30 the hotel then fell silent save the moaning of the guests. Early to bed I guess
Quality of the entertainment was not the best either nor was the location of the stage.
The main thoroughfare had been transformed into the seating area with the stage in the middle which meant that the acts had to perform in three directions simultaneously and that unless you were seated right at the front you could not see or hear very much of what was going on.
I expect the setup is totally different during the summer.
The in house animator did try to extend things a little with a pre-entertainment game of Bingo. Just the one mind you at 21.30 – 21.45 and whilst she tried there was little more to occupy the guests during the day apart from a game of darts, snooker. Etc. All credit to her she did try hard to get people interested but there was just a lack of enthusiasm.
What it needed!!!!
1. A little low key piped music during the day? Instead of the deathly silence
2. A full evening’s entertainment programme even if it’s just music from 20.00 – 24.00 especially at Christmas.
3. Additional activities during the day including use of the equipment when the animator is off duty especially when the weather is a bit inclement.
4. More bar staff to reduce queuing at peak times
5. Put the peanuts out!! Don’t make the guests ask for them

In my opinion there was just a lack of atmosphere and Christmas spirit within the hotel, sure the food was good as was the service and the staff were polite and attentive but it reminded me more of a business hotel rather than a Christmas holiday destination. Attention to detail comes to mind. Where is the fun!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a pool view unless you like car parks
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank KentSteve33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2012

After having a fabulous new year holiday 2009 we had no hesitation in booking a family holiday again for new year 2011. What a treble error. Whilst we cannot complain about the restaurant,
bars, and general activities all gave us exceptional service the entertainment for new years eve
will always be of great dissapointment to us all and the English guests at the hotel.
The evening started with very sedate cypriot duo, Then their was two inexperience dances followed by the resident DJ whos choice in music was at best in appropriate for new years eve ok for a funeral. We spoke to the manager George who said that the entertainment manager was in hospital and that this was the best he could do!!!!. New Years Eve !!! Whilst there was a dull in the entertainment Georges wife and family member got up to do a cypriot dance and was must better than the paid entertainment !, I suggested she got everyone on the floor but she did not feel she could do this . We tried to provide our own musice but our mp3 players was not suitable for the hotels music equipment. mid-night came and went before we realise it as their was no count or everything else. The entertainment went dead !. We asked George what he was doing at 2pm for the Englist New Year as the entertainment says dancing till dawn.!!! George said that he was going and that we could do what we wanted without music!! Lucking enough a family member had a lap top which my family and the Other Englist guest used to let in the new year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank june s
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2011

After spending the whole of January (three years running) at the Crown Resort Horizon we decided it was time for a change . . . Mistake! This hotel gave us a fantastic month-long break from the cold and gloom of the UK. The buffet breakfast and the evening meal always had something to please our palette. The daytime activities included Archery, Air Rifle Shooting, Darts, Bowls and Deck Quoits and a great time was had by all. The indoor pool, spa and gymnasium were excellent and a great way to lose the breakfast calories. After dinner there was always entertainment . . . Some like the magician were excellent, some not so good. Just outside the hotel is a bus stop with direct route to Paphos Town which proved helpful when shopping as most of the local shops are closed when we visit.
The downside of our holiday is the usual complaint of any European country, since the introduction of the euro the cost of everything is astronomical.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank guggah
mid wales
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I booked this trip as an independent traveller, Booking Easyjet flights, Transfers through resort hoppa, and accomodation through hotels4u. This was a repeat of 2010 trip to the same hotel, Last years trip was so good I thought I must do it again, but not expecting as much as I didn't want to be let down.
The Stay at resort started with hotel check in at the reception, How suprised I was when I was greeted by a welcome back sir I hope you had a good flight. I had arrived at 10.40pm so the restaurant had closed but was advised I could get Sandwiches at the bar until 12 mdnight.
After quickly dropping Bags in the room I headed to the Bar. I had booked my stay as all inclusive.
Not only did the staff remember my visit the previous year, but a number of the guests who obviously come back year on year. (always a good sign).
Now to the hotel itself, every morning their is a full choice for breakfast which includes, fresh and tinned fruit, cereals, yoghurt, sliced and crusty bread and rolls, cheese cold meats, bacon, sausages (2 types), tomatoes, beans, Eggs (scrambled, Boiled, Fried. Pastries and cakes not to mention different fruit juices and various teas and infusions plus coffee.
A excellent choice of meats, fish, as well as local and international dishes plus a good selection of desserts, cheeses, fresh salads. etc. served both lunchtimes and evening dinners. add to this a variety of snack cooked fresh between meal times. in short something for everyone.
Entertainment was also first class throughout the day and evening.

Room Tip: I choose a Basic room which better than most hotel rooms I have stayed in with two large single beds...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
12 Thank costadelboy01
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This is my third time here. Hotel has changed a little. Cut backs are now evident. Kettle in room now has to be paid for. Night time entertainment is now not as good. Towels in spa, have to be paid for at 2 euro a time. But I took mine from my room and no one said anything, after all a shower is a shower, be it in my room or in the spa. The water jets in the jacuzi are blowing cold, not heated anymore. The steam room broke down a couple of times, the spa manager didn't seem keen to fix it right away. There is a comprehensive gym, which at times is a little full, with paying non hotel patrons.
But the hotel is cleaned spotlessly everyday. The rooms too are done well, however, they forgot to do mine twice. No real hardship for me though. They are of a very good standared too. The food is very good with a good range of choice and is a la carte. Could have done with being a little warmer, most people had something to say about that.
The majority of the staff are friendly but one or two coud do with lessons in civility.
There are vast lawned gardens with sun chairs on, no need to go to the beach. The beach is not the greatest anyway.
A big problem is the price of all drinks, tea, coffee and alcohol. if you are not all inclusive. The price of a large larger ( about a pint) is 4.50 euro. The same drinks on the bars outide the hotel are around 2.00 euro. I don't particularly want to eat or drink in great quantities, so don't go A/I. If I want to drink I would go out of the hotel, where you can get all drinks at a reasonable price.
I took my bike and did some fantastic cycling, but you need to be a excellent rider to go north, it is all up hill into the mountains. I left my bike on my room balcony, no one seemed to mind.

Room Tip: If you are not paying for a sea view room, then opt for the garden block at the rear, and then you h...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank red968
hants uk
Reviewed December 20, 2011

My husband and I went to Cyprus for 11 nights staying at Crown Resorts Horizon in Coral Bay, Paphos. The hotel is about 30 minutes by bus from Paphos town. Buses run right outside hotel every 15 minutes-2 euros for all day/travel anywhere ticket. The hotel is superbly appointed with large outdoor swimming pool and beautifully appointed gardens. It also has indoor leisure centre which is excellent with pool/jacuzzi/steam/sauna and beauty treatments.
The hotel is on 3 floors with seaview rooms as well as side seaview rooms - the former costs an extra £10 per room per night. Rooms spacious with king sized bed. Good sized bathroom with shower in bath-beware of very very hot water coming from shower unexpectedly. Satellite TV which only gives BBC world/CNN/Eurosport in English.
Food is superb-all buffet style. Breakfast cereals/toast/full English/cold meats etc. Lunch always had soup/a great selection of salads,hot dishes to include at least 3 different meats plus pasta and choice of 4 or so desserts. Same type of food for evening with even greater choice. Evening entertainment included Bingo, quizzes, live singers, karaoke.
We were on All Inclusive so all drinks were included which was excellent as drinks expensive (e.g. gin & tonic 5+ euros)
Staff mainly Romanian, Bulgarian or Polish. Mostly very friendly. Reception staff could have been more friendly.
Lots of ramps for wheelchair users and in fact there were quite a number of disabled people staying at the hotel.
Nearest beach about a 10 minute stroll away.
However, all in all excellent hotel which we would highly recommend.

Room Tip: all the rooms seemed well appointed but if you want superb views take a seaview room for the extra...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hsheffield
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Was supposed to be me and my boyfriend on this holiday but circumstances meant I took my Mam instead.
Hotel staff were lovely, didn't have any bad experiences with them at all.
Was quite disappointed with our room. Had paid for an upgrade to a superior room with limited sea view. What I got was a fairly standard room with no view of the sea and a strong smell of the previous occupants cigarettes. Turns out what made it superior was the dressing gowns and slippers we got.
Mattresses were ok but the pillows were flimsy when I asked for additional pillows I had to wait till the next day to get them. Despite it being only 6pm when I asked the receptionist.
Maid service was good (even though my Mam made our beds before we went for breakfast. Old habits die hard I guess...).
The food was great, clearly they catered for the British tastes but I would have liked more traditional Greek Cypriot food to choose from. However, they really made an effort to ensure there was lots of choice.
There were only a few of us there who were under 50 and I think this time of year (December) the hotel attracts a lot of retired couples who want the sun instead of the ice over Christmas.
They have staff who organise activities through the day and evening and I was grateful for this as the weather was nice it wasn't "Piz Buin" nice and it was good to have stuff to do around the hotel when you couldn't sit outside sunbathing or splashing about the pool.
Hotel have a few cats that look forward to meal times and by the end of the week I was quite brazen in scooping up some tuna and fish from the buffet to pass on.
The spa was great, pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna was fully utilised and for the red hot blooded women out there, you could watch some of the local young men flexing from the comfort of the pool and jazuzzi.
I would go back to the hotel and I would like to see it in the summer as the gardens and outside pool area are really beautiful and well kept.
The 615 bus route drops you outside of the hotel every 20 mins and takes you all around Coral Bay. If you buy a 2 euro day ticket you can hop on and off all day. I would definitely recommend a trip to the habour and the markets.
Rented a car from a car hire place in Coral Bay and would recommend this if you are planning on driving as we managed to knock a tenner off the original price and it was cheaper than going through the travel rep
. I found driving round really easy and even if no one in the car can read a map you can't get lost.
If you know any older couples who want to get away for the winter than this is the place for them. There is a lot of single people over 50 too so if you were thinking about going on your own you will love it. My Mam is planning on taking my Dad there next year.

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading your room unless you go for the Presidential Suite or Executive Suites...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends