“Too many faults with the building, rooms, definitely not enough staff - it was a nightmare”

Basilica Holiday Resort
Ranked #24 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have visited the Basilica many times in the past but this was my last. I had 14 day holiday last September and it was ok but just ok. This time it was awful. It needs pulled down.

Reception staff nice but different stories from different people. I should have had reception on speed dial. I became truly annoyed with the number of times I had to have maintenance people in my room - none could speak english or very little. Water flooding kitchen and bedroom area from air-conditioning system. Had to be repaired 3 times. TV - what TV? 8 stations 4 russian, 3 others all foreign and one in english - Sky News - it worked for 2 hours the first night I was there and never again during my 14 night stay. I was in the Harbour Suites (!!!!!) second floor - filthy, stinking with cats smell and I had to walk along it holding my nose. Someone threw bleach on it the next day but it had no affect at all. This used to be a good central hotel and if sometrhing went wrong it was sorted very quickly. Alas not now.

I feel desparately sorry for the 2 lovely girls in reception, Joy and Ellie, who did try their best but I asked to see the Manager many times and he was not available EVER!

So please take heed before booking THE BASILICA HOLIDAY RESORT !!!!!!!!!! Some Resort!

Room Tip: Very hard to find one!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank catswhiskers_12
There are newer reviews for Basilica Holiday Resort

Reviewed August 15, 2012

we were very surprised by the room s quality.They actually looked much better in pictures.
Beds were not very comfortable either. But the location of the hotel is very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank zaher s
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Myself, my wife and 3 teens stayed here for 7 nights July/August this year. The flats were clean and had everything you needed for a self contained apartment. The aircon in the boys room didnt work for the first 2 nights and i had to remind the reception staff numerous times before it was fixed. The kids enjoyed the pool although it gets very very warm mid afternoon. Good location, opposite a supermarket and 2 mins from the harbour. The price i felt didnt completely justify the quality of accomodation regardless of it being mid season and for 5 adults but we enjoyed it overall.

Room Tip: Away from the road.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Simon H
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Day 1 - Noisy room next to the street. Beneath the balcony there is bus stop. Couldn't sleep during night. Balcony window/door tired and giving no hopes for silence.
Day 2 - Room not next to the street but just above 4 engines of air co which were buzzzing and trembling. 5 cockroaches killed during one night...
Day 3 - Relatively good room.
We stayed 10 days, 10 breakfast - the same!!
Nobody mentioned prior the arrival or during reservation that we will be taken to another hotel for dinner (by car). Maybe it was good to send us to another, better hotel for that. I can't imagine food in Basilica.
Mainly at the weekends, the pool is full and overcrowded. People. lads, teenagers, workers are coming from the city and treat it as as a public pool. Noobody check if you are a tourist or resident of basilica!! No safety at all. Our towel was stolen when we went to eat sth to the room.
They should decide whether it's a resort or long term rent...no standard at all.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank ksiszu
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed here for 1 week and found the rooms very nice. Do not expect anything more than a clean room and bathroom as there are no frills but we has everything we needed. The beds are nice and clean and the sheets were changed every other day.The staff are very friendly and if you have a problem they are only too please to try and solve it for you. The pool is lovely. Not a dug in one but it stands proud of thefloor and has a splash pool around the edge.
The location of the Basilica is perfect just a 2 minute stroll to the sea front and to the left is the harbour and the right has bars and restaurants along the sea front. All in all a bit tired but clean and good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank avy01
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Have just returned from a 10 day stay at Basilica. Not a good start as arrived at 1:15am to be sent off to the sister complex at Paphos Garden as there was a problem with our room! Complained the next morning a were transferred back to a 1 bed apt in the Harbour Suites.

Rooms were very tired and in need of an upgrade and thorough clean although not a bad size. Kitchen consisted of a double unit only with a sink and 2 rings on the top of it and a cupbourd and fridge below -no work surface at all. Good job we eat out a lot! Air con in the bedroom wasn't working and never got fixed even though we complained. On the 3rd day I was in the bath when a COCKROACH climbed out of the overflow hole!!!!! I was totally freaked out and wanted to move out.

Despite the negatives the pool area was lovely and it is in a great location near to the harbour.
Sadly at lot of the apts are let out to the migrant workers (mainly Bulgarians) and therefore not as many holiday makers as we would have liked.

All in all I don't think I'd go back unless it has an upgrade but would say if you don't mind very basic accommodation in a good location then maybe give it a go.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the Harbour Suite rooms as they seem a bit better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank StephA58
Reviewed August 16, 2011

When we book a holiday we are always looking for VFM having a family of five it can get a little expensive.

When looking at the Basilica we read all the reviews and to be honest we could have been swayed either way on booking here as people either liked it or didn't. The one deciding factor that swung it was the location to the harbour, attractions and all the restaurants.

Having know been I must say we were more than delighted with the complex and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

The rooms are functional if a little out of date but hey we only ever sleep there anyway plus we were upgraded from a two to a three bed apartment on arrival.

The staff, especially on reception, were friendly and chatty and the pool was just what we needed after a long hot day and a good size supermarket directly opposite for all those bits and pieces you need.

If you are booking for a family give a serious look at the Basilica

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family