SENTIDO Thalassa Coral Bay
$102
$103
$90
  • Pool
Theo Sunset Bay Holiday Village(Kissonerga)(Great Value!)
$83
$109
$92
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Capital Coast Resort & Spa(Paphos)(Great Value!)
$108
$102
  • Pool
Queen's Bay Hotel(Kissonerga)(Great Value!)
$74
$71
  • Breakfast included
Corallia Beach Hotel Apartments(Paphos)(Great Value!)
$65
$63
$178
Travelocity
$44
$42
  • Pool
All reviewsbeach barcoral baysunset roomambrosia restaurantsunrise or sunsetfish restaurantpool guymini barthomas cookupgraded to a suitepool arearelaxing holidaysmall hotelspa treatmentsbranded drinksbar staffsea view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We hired a car from Lefkosia, and drove around Cyprus hoping
to get lost,we ended up in Paphos with nowhere to stay.
We ended up in front of this hotel by taking a wrong turn, but god
was it a fantastic find.
From the minute i walked in the front door, the lady at the desk was ever so helpfull.
Being our honeymoon she instantly upgraded us into a two bedroom suite. Normally priced at $600-$700 euros, we got
it for $200 euros. Absoulte bargain!!!! eventhough it was not
peak season being the end of May, we still found the hotel full of guests and coral beach pretty full with people.
Any body looking for somewhere to stay minus little screaming kids..highly recommend this hotel, we travelled for 6 weeks all over europe and stayed in over one dozen hotels and this by far is the nicest hotel we stayed in.
1..VIEW 10/10
2..SERVICE 10/10
3..BEACH 10/10
4..FOOD/POOL 10/10
5..GYM/ROOM 10/10

You may think i work for this hotel, but trust me i don't. (i wish i did!).
Have a lovely stay.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stelios1980
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Selected this hotel because is small and no children under 12. The hotel lobby is elegant and the staff courteous and helpful at reception. There did not seem to be a shortage of sun loungers by the pool, and they were beautifully presented with 2 towels per lounger, plus a parasol per pair of loungers. Gorgeous pool and gardens. Lovely to have a pre-dinner drink or post-dinner nightcap sitting outside the bar area and enjoying the view across the bay. Our room was nice and spacious with comfortable bed,a/c and a terrace. I think we had the simplest room available even though we had paid more than anyone else for our holiday, but that was probably due to my choice of travel agent. The spa is excellent with a wide variety of treatments. Breakfast is superb and the restaurant overlooks the pool. Lunch can be taken by the pool and was very nice. For us, the evening meal was too much but if you like fine dining, you would be happy. There are 2 restaurants and in the seafood one, it was OK to order just one course or 2 starters. The only slight downside to our holiday was there was a dearth of other places to eat locally, as hotel food becomes a bit samey for 3 meals a day. The staff at the hotel were attentive at all times. Because the hotel is small, it was easy to strike up a conversation with other guests, and the hotel encourages this by having a drinks party and a social evening, which you can take or leave. I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a luxurious, get away from it all, break.

• Stayed: June 2007
5  Thank jessica35
Reviewed August 21, 2007

This is a hotel in an excellent cliff top location with its own beach, beautiful sea views from every room and a superb pool location and ambience.

It styles itself as a 'boutique hotel' which within that term's popular understanding it is not, but I can see what they are trying to do and in some ways it had that feel (thankfully with a little more personal anonymity than a boutique hotel).

The gym is excellent. The spa also looks good for those who like that sort of thing. Internet accesss is free in a private booth in the lobby. The decor inside and out is well thought through and coherent and the hotel is very nicely dressed without being ostentatious. Breakfast is very good. My wife and I loved our stay.

It does however have unfortunate service problems. Although the staff are unfailingly polite and attempt to be helpful, they do need a degree of training. Pool service is very, very slow and trying to find a pool side waiter is difficult. The bar staff do not know their menus and take an age to prepare drinks.

Checking in was smooth and a delight, although escorting a guest around the room, finishing with a handshake, was a little intrusive and odd. Checking out was a trial with the receptionist attempting (badly) to juggle several distractions (from maintenance men to bar staff to cleaners) on her own. Thus it took around 15-20 minutes to simply pay the bill, and I sat there feeling rather stupid! This could have been solved through simple prioritisation and proper customer service and attention.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely yes, no doubt, we loved it - but sort your staff training programme out!!

Finally, stay away from the local strip unless you like your venues to be hideous and cheesy, lobster-coloured, tattoed, shirtless, Brit-infested places. Take yourself up to the villages in the hills (eg Peyia) and have a cheap Cypriot taverna meal. A delight and not a Brit in sight!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SteveCardiff_UK
Reviewed August 15, 2007

My new husband and I stayed at the Thalassa for 14 nights at the beginning of August for our honeymoon.

We were astounded by the overall quality of the hotel, it's staff and the services provided.

Having arrived late due to flight delays we were greeted at the front door of the beautiful lobby. Whilst we were checking in, 2 ice cold towels were presented to us to freshen up. We were then given a brief but informative tour of the hotel and it's facilities. We were taken to the room and again were shown around (as a honeymoon couple we were upgraded to a suite - nice!). The room itself was lovely, a massive bed - comfy too! Fresh fruit, champagne, etc waiting for us. All rooms at this hotel are sea view..... go for a higher floor if you can to maximise your view!!

We have found on previous trips to other hotels that there is a fine line between good service and attentiveness, and being intrusive. The Thalassa staff were perfect. They were there when you needed them, but remained in the background at other times. The Thalassa offer a Bultler Service at an additional cost. We didn't utilise the services of a butler. What extras they bring, I'm unsure - but what I can say is that the general staff will do absolutley anything for you and we felt no regrets that we opted out of the butler service.

Food at the hotel was brilliant. 5* food with a 5* price tag - well worth considering the full or half board option if you don't intend venturing into the town for meals too often! The hotel do try and keep things varied with BBQ's, themed nights etc in the restaurant.

Particularly nice touches were the frsh fruit 'kebabs' brought around the pool area at 1130 every morning, Rolandos the pool attendant would be there in a flash to help move your sunbed / umberella or refresh your towels. If you dozed off under your umberella, he would move it to keep you in the shade whilst you were sleeping without disturbing you - again, nice touch. Previous reviews have said about the lack of poolside drinks being offered - that is certainly not the case now.

Stavros - the front of house manager was fabulous, I can't speak highly enough of this chap.

It was also my birthday whilst we were away and everyone made a real fuss - I even had happy birthday played to me on the violin by one of the waiters.

The Spa at the hotel we feel is underused - Treatments are good and the gym sauna jacuzzi etc are all well maintained.

I could type forever about the whole experience but I fear I may waffle on longer than I already have!

Other tips - If you visit any of the outdoor historical sites (Tomb of the Kings / Paphos Mosaics) there are a few essentials, good shoes, pleanty of water, sunscreen, hat. None of these are available inside and it's very hot.

Restaurants in Coral Bay (15 minutes walk or short taxi ride) - Varied in quality and price - we would recommend the Sea Elephant, Andria and La Trattoria La Vigna.

Beach - Does get very crowded - lots of water sport activity.

Transport - Taxis / walking / bus every 20 mins or so for 80 cents will take you all the way to Paphos.

Thalassa is the sister hotel of the Coral Beach Hotel next door which you can use their facilities if you like. We popped next door once during the day. Looks very nice, but as it accepts children under 12 (unlike the Thalssa) has a whole different feel to it even though it is still 5*.

Overall - A faultless hotel with stunning views and some of the hardest working, friendliest staff I've seen in all my travelling days.

.......And I really did cry when I left.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Pinkmooner
Reviewed June 21, 2007

We stayed at the Thalassa for 17 days in April/May for our wedding and honeymoon and had a fantastic time. The hotel is lovely and in a beautiful location.

On arrival we were greeted by name at reception (by George), offered a drink and advised that due to the late hour (11.30 pm) a cold plate had been placed in the room for us. What a lovely touch. There was also a bottle of bubbly which we had been told was part of our package, so we were disappointed when it appeared on our bill. (It was removed when we asked.)

Due to our honeymoon status we were upgraded to a suite and as previous reviews have said this is made up of two rooms joined together by an open doorway, one as a lounge area and one as the bedroom. This means that you have two bathrooms, which we appreciated. The complimentary toiletries are excellent. The decor is very minimalist, but Greek in style and the rooms immaculately clean. The bed was large and comfy, as were the sofasetc. I couldn't fault the room and the balcony was very spacious with a table, chairs and deckchairs.

We were on the sunrise side of the hotel overlooking the pool and fabulous beach. We had no problems with noise from the day trip boats because they come for about an our around 11-12 noon and we were always by the pool by that time. (What are Ipods for anyway?!)

The staff are lovely and can't do enough for you - Natalie, Georgina, Olga, George to name but a few. We loved the little fruit skewers that the pool guy brings round in the morning. The drinks are quite expensive, but when you want an ice cold coke or beer by the pool, who cares?!

The pool area gets a bit busy especially at the weekends when lots of Cypriot customers arrive, but we always got a lounger. I do think the hotel needs to stop the sunbed reserving, though - some guests just gave tips to get the beds reserved early, which I wouldn't do on principle. The hotel is very multi national - both the staff and customers which I really liked - I don't really like places that are just full of Brits.

The breakfast was extensive - with a wide choice of hot and cold dishes, my only slight grumble was the occasional flies around the fruit buffet. The omelettes made to order are delicious. The staff also come and warn you when the buffet is closing so that you don't miss anything.

We often ate lunch by the pool and would have done this everyday except we found the menu a bit limited and quite expensive. On our first day 2 sandwiches, a bottle of wine and water came to about £40! After that we just had a glass of wine which was actually better value. The beach bar also opened about 10 days into our stay and we enjoyed lunch there, but again the menu was limited for me because I don't eat meat.

We ate several evening meals at the hotel - in the Seafood and main restaurant, but did find both to be quite expensive at around £80 for two (three courses and wine) which was about double the norm for Coral Bay. The food was good, though. The service in the restaurants was disappointing - for example, at the seafood restaurant the staff make a big show of putting your wine in an ice bucket that you can't reach from the table, but then never top your glasses up! (Even when we repeatedly stood up to refill our own glasses)

The hotel does have a few service issues and they have tried to resolve this by having a very visible "Front of house" manager Stavros, who is very pleasant and friendly. However, we were never very sure what he did and the constant bon homie and hand shaking was exhausting................

We enjoyed the manager's free drinks reception (twice) again this was a nice touch, but we didn't make the wine tasting because it was too early in the evening (would have meant dragging ourselves away from the pool before the sun disappeared)

We didn't hold our wedding at the Thalassa because they didn't reply to my email enquiry for about 3 months, by which time we had booked elsewhere (but I think it would have blown the budget anyway!!!) However, there does seem to be a general problem with emailed communication, as my friend emailed asking for champagne to be placed in our room on arrival. She only got a reply days after we arrived telling her our arrival date and we never got the champers! The hotel did press my dress for me at a cost of 60 CYP - that is £72!!! They also let us have a room for the groom and best man to change in at a cost of £42 - maybe it would have been a nice gesture for that to have been complimentary? I also had a pedicure for the wedding which cost £40 - shame no one could see my feet!

So the extras are all expensive, but this is a gorgeous hotel and we had a wonderful stay. The views are fantastic - see my photos. I never tired of seeing the sunset colours on the sea and the cliffs on the other side of the bay. The hotel is in a great location as there are a few bars and restaurants nearby (Keralam Indian is the best I have tasted outside India) or you can have a longer walk into Coral Bay. (Or pay £5 for a taxi) Coral Bay itself is just a typical small resort with lots of restaurants and bars, but not too big to enjoy it all.

I hope we go back one day, but know we will never recapture the magic of our first stay here.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple