“Tiny, tired, cold room”
Review of Venus Beach Hotel

Venus Beach Hotel
Ranked #71 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My wife and I visited in November, very poor week weather wise which may have tarnished our view of the hotel. We were upgraded to a partial sea view room that was tiny and very 'tired'. We were refused any further free upgrade although the hotel was only half full. The bath plug didn't fit, the grout was all mouldy and the towels tiny.The sun didn't shine all week and the room was very cold. The room was close to the road and the traffic noise made sleep difficult as did noise from the bars across the road.
The buffet style dining worked well and the food was very acceptable but there wasn't a lot of choice, very similar dishes day to day although every night had a different theme.On the Sunday night they tried a la carte dining. This was a disaster, the staff couldn't cope and in the absence of my meal arriving (although my wife's eventually did) I settled for some cheese and biscuits!
The public areas are beautiful, all very clean.Staff very good.
The hotel is in a lovely position and the walk to the harbour is very pleasant (about 45 minutes). Buses cheap, can go anywhere for 2 Euros a day
This was our first Cyprus visit for 10 years and everything has become SO EXPENSIVE. Coffee a least 3.50 Euros a cup, you have been warned!!

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing top floor room
3  Thank Martinthecritic

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Before I start this review I should say that we were due to go to Ascos Beach hotel which I love. But at the last minute they decided not to open!! So we were moved to Venus Beach hotel.
So my review may be biased as I wanted to be at the Ascos!!
But once I got my head round this fact it got better!
The reception, bar and pool area and dinning rooms are very nice and kept spotless.
The bedrooms are OK nothing special.
All in all the hotel is dated and needs decorating. This was meant to be a 5 start but not sure how or why it got these 5 stars.
The indoor pool is tiny more of a giant bath! and isn't open Saturday afternoons or Sunday! not very good the hotel should advertise this.

Breakfast was nice and lots to choose from.
Lunch was disgusting and some choices not edible! But they didn't lay on a buffet it was just an A4 sheet which you had to choose form a couple of options. The lunch time waiters were also the rudest waiters I've ever met!
Evening meal started off being a let down but as the week went on, it got better and better finishing off with a 6 course gala meal on New Years Eve.

Entertainment ! Not sure it can be called that! I know these hotels never have the best but this lot really take the biscuit. For 3 nights we have "live music" not sure it could be called live, it was the same bloke on a keyboard and basouki. For 2 nights running we have the same Cyprian dance troop doing the same routine (one of these nights was New Years Eve) yet we had watched them the night before!. 1 night Kareoke and one night Casino night.
That was our evenings.....
Daytime was the usual darts and french bowls.
Pino the entertainment manger was a lovely bloke and did his best but the hotel really needs to move with the times!!

The waiters and waitresses in the bar were lovely and friendly.

We were all inclusive and it was a tad annoying that we had to sign for everyhing, even a glass of water! Wristbands would have been easier.

All in all it was OK but we wouldn't return.
there were a few repeat guests, but there was also a lot of guests that had been moved form their original hotel, so it makes me wonder how empty this hotel might have been.

We have a lovely week, you have to make the most of what you have. We met some lovely people and will remember our week.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kefaloslover
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Rooms needs deseprately some refurbishment (hey are just od and dirty). Meals for dinner were almost the same each day.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Tomasz O
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We have just returned from a very enjoyable 7th visit to this hotel, where we feel very comfortable and 'at home'. The hotel is very clean and the rooms clean and comfortable. All members of staff are courteous,friendly and efficient, nothing is too much trouble. The well prepared,varied, buffet style food suits all palates. The hotel is located in a fairly quiet area just outside the harbour, with a regular local bus service to the harbout or to Coral Bay stopping right outside.
Alternatively there is a lovely (mostly paved) coastal path taking you to the harbour or towards Coral Bay. Entertainment in the hotel is fairly 'low key' but there are local bars offering entertainment too.

Room Tip: Side sea view or sea view rooms best
7  Thank Valerie H
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We were disappointed with the facilities overall but the staff were very friendly and the hotel was exceptionally clean. The food was geared towards The English palette which was disappointing as we would have preferred to have more regional dishes served. Definitely not a hotel for the young or for families but nevertheless an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Being Cyprus in November we were a bit cold (we're locals!), and the air/con didn't switch into heat mode! They take a photo copy of your credit card which isn't destroyed when you leave. I paid via Amex which has the security number on the front, so wasn't happy. They told me the copy would be destroyed in one month when the payments have been confirmed.

Overall teShort notice trip, for 1 night, got a very good deal. 26% compared to the room rack rate. Very clean, room size seemed slightly larger than average/typical set up. Breakfast was pleasant enough too.

Being Cyprus in November we were a bit cold, and the air/con didn't switch into heat mode! They take a photo copy of your credit card which isn't destroyed when you leave. I paid via Amex which has the security number on the front, so wasn't happy. They told me the copy would be destroyed in one month when the payments have been confirmed.
The hotel needs a facelift to justify its 5* status, the ratings are based on our experiences of a 1 night stay with a very cheap price. I can imagine if I had been writing this as a family or been here for 2 weeks things may have been different.

Room Tip: I asked if i could have a double rather than twin and tis was provide with a double mattress and not...
1  Thank Leonardius
Reviewed December 1, 2011

This was our first visit to Cyprus as I always wanted to visit. I got the Hotel and Package off the internet. My comments are. Hotel very good we had a large upgraded room facing the Sea . The room was excellent but we did not get the sun until 4.15p.m. ( Room 436). Nice lounges but not much in the way of Entertainment but that was because we were there in November. All members of staff very helpful which is not what I read on other peoples comments. The Hotel was on the West side of Paphos and very Quite but a Bus Service outside the Hotel which cost 2 Euros all day took you into PAPHOS and Coral Bay and to the Market. Only downer as far as my wife and I were concerned Evening Meals which could have been better. I would still give it 4 out of 5 overall.

Room Tip: On the 4th or 5th Floor but even Rooms 420 going down.
2  Thank Terence D