“A mixed bag of positives and negatives” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The King Jason Paphos

The King Jason Paphos
Ranked #1 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
liverpool
“A mixed bag of positives and negatives”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

We agree totally with the previous Mixed bag review.
Positives : Lovely Bar area, well stocked shop, friendly staff and attentive manager when any problem was solved immediately, spacious appartrment/Studio, weather fantastic, trips were great, Thompson rep superb.
Negatives: Pool constantly warm and full of inflatables, if you want to swim not a chance for ball games and lilos!! Sometimes it was like a warzone!! Needs to be supervised a little. The indoor pool lovely and cold but again surrounding area unlean and smelt of toilets! Husband used the gym a few times but no air conditioning!!! Cleanliness poor, lots of kids including my own suffered ear infections from the pool, appartments dirty and bathroom didnt see a cleaner for the two weeks. Towels and beds were changed every three days. Floors smelt of either cat urine or dirty mops, not sure!! Bins emptied every other day which is ok for a small family of 3 like ours but I dont know how larger families who maybe cooked in the appartment coped??
Other reviews have mentioned the friendly welcome of a fruit juice and wet wipe...great! The waiter took our cases on a trolley all of 30 yards and waited for a tip whilst we started to unpack!! He didnt show us around the appartment or anything!! As we'd only just arrived we had no small change and felt forced to give a 5 Euro tip!!!! Not a good start! Cats were around a lot but didnt really bother us apart from the smell! The location was awful, in the middle of residential area that is like squalor!! stinking bins, filthy roads and pavements, poorly lit and just awful!! Once you get past that bit its a short walk to the harbour which is nice
The fee of 49 Euros for a 2 week safety deposit box was a rip off and the prices to eat out in Cyprus has gone up dramatically but then thats the same every where I suppose.
Recommend the Cruises from the harbour...great value for money. The jeep safari day was expensive but worth every penny as you see a lot of the island and its great fun too! The tiger boat ride was fantastic if you like near death experiences...but it was amazing!
All in all I would not go back to this accomodation or in fact Cyprus. been to cyprus twice and thats my lot im afriaid. Would not recommend the King Jason but then I know a lot of people loved it so maybe its down to expectations. For a supposed 4 star mine were quite high and it didnt match up at all.

• Liked — Bar area
  • Disliked — unclean!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank joycikins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

on ariving at the king jason for our first visit we were met with drinks and face refreshers witch we welcomed as it was so hot we were shown to our rooms by a porter who carried our bagsto our rooms, when we entered our room we had a bottle of brandy left by the manager,and dressing gowns and slippers the pool area and rooms were very clean but be up early to get sunbeds as us english seam to be worse than the germans.the manager and staff were so friendly .we read on trip adviser about all the cats around the apts but much worse than we expected, one boy was bitten while we were there and his parents had a big medical bill to pay,we were also followed to our room buy two cats on leaving the apts its about 15 minutes through the residential area and over a few mattreses to get to the town and a busy dual carrigeway. the apts food was nice but a little pricey on a night time there is no entertainment so people just tend to come back and go to there rooms.....the king jason were lovely but would not go back because of the area and how for they are away,

• Disliked — the area and the cats
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank safcftm
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

Just returned from a two week stay in a one bedroomed aprtment on a B&B basis. Two adults and two children. I called this review a mixed bag because there were a lot of positives about the holiday but there was also some negatives. Lets start positively :- very friendly staff/manager/fellow guests/spacious rooms/well resourced with cutlery etc/good breakfast.Excellent kids rep/ small groups at kidzone activities.As previous reports you either love it's position or hate it. There is a walk to the main Kato Paphos area but once there there are lots of restaurants/bars/shops.The walk is not the most scenic. We shared eating experiences with other guests and everyone had different views on different places. We had two great meals in Argo and Thessolonika. Smaller than other establishments. Chloes certainly got rave reviews but expensive. The restaurants at the harbour are more expensive so travel further back and we found we were paying the same for a family of four as we had done last year in Crete. Back to the hotel. The general areas were kept clean but by the end of two weeks I was ready to get the mop and windowlene out in the apartment. The air com is very intrusive and we had to pay extra for the second unit to be turned on in the living area where the children slept as it was so hot at night. Other areas of the hotel are needing upgraded the gym/indoor pool/and facilities to change if you needed showered before you left/ I had to dry my hair next to the tread mill because no other plug worked. Also we paid for a safe deposit box for the two weeks only to find when you left your uggage on the last day it was in the general reception area where anyone could access it - we kept all important belongings with us at the pool. Talking about the pool there was great discussion about the cleanliness. Many children had ear infections and the local chemist and medical clinic were busy with the guests. Many people return to the King Jason year upon year and like a previous reveiwer it is all about expectation. We also go 4/5 star and this is certainly not to this standard. However friendly you want to be doesn't make up for basic cleanliness and up todate equipment anf facilities. We had a good holiday , the children made friends and we saw alot of the attractions some by foot and others with a car it was so easy to get around. We hired a car for three days and had plently of time to visit the north, The Troodos and a castle trail from Limassol to Paphos ( Kourion was fab)The water park was great just right for the younger age group both my kids aged 7 &10 could access all the slides they wanted although perhaps too small and unexciting for teenage children. Flights there and back were on time and previous concerns about the airport were unfounded. ( Wacky Wednesday when most Uk flight arrive). To sum up a good holiday was had , we paid too much for the standard it was. Have been to Paphos , seen it and probably won't be back.

• Liked — friendliness
  • Disliked — needs an upgrade
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Kaz97
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the King Jason, and I have to say I totally agree with everthing the previous reviewer had to say.
We too stayed in a studio appartment. The rooms were fine, quite large and the self catering facilities were excellent. Micowave, proper oven/grill and two ring electric hob, kettle etc. We didn't do much cooking although I made cheese on toast one lunchtime and the grill took about half an hour to melt the cheese! Probably would have been quicker to put the cheese on the bread and stick it out on the balcony to melt, it was soooo hot. I never actually saw a thermometer during the day but the radio station we were listening to was giving reports that it was between 35 and 40 degrees everyday! One night we were walking about Paphos town about 2.30 in the morning and we saw a thermometer which said it was 27 degrees and it certainly felt that kind of temperature even at that time of night! Anyway back to the King Jason, there were also plenty of cutlery/plates etc and they even provided washing up liquid, sponge, cloth and tea towel. We had room number 23 which I think was not in the best location. Our balcony looked straight out onto the outside seating area of the bar which although presented very nicely meant our room was not that private as anyone siting in this area could look straight into our room so we had to keep the curtains closed all the time. Also this room is directly above the games room which has an air hockey table and occasionally we would be woken up at about 8am to the 'ting' 'ting' sound of the air hockey disc being hit from one end of the table to the other, a litle annoying, but if you tried hard enough you could just about ignore it!
The air conditioning units in the rooms leave a lot to be desired, they look as if they were made in the 1920s & are the old single unit kind that are mounted in a hole through the wall as opposed to the normally found more modern split system where the workings are in a seperate unit outside and I have never heard air conditiong to be as noisy as this, it was really rattally and just loud could put up with it in the day but there is no way you can sleep with it on, unless you are a very heavy sleeper & possibly deaf. Maybe not so bad if you have a seperate bedroom with the unit in the lounge but we had a studio apartment, We ended up leaving our air con on all day so the room was really cool by bedtime and able to turn it off and stay cool long enough to get to sleep. (noticed some rooms did have the more modern split system air cons they are probbably replacing the old type as they die off but i recon 85% of rooms still have steam age technology!)
There is a hair dryer in the rooms but it is not great. I'm glad that I still took my own, There was also an Iron & ironing board if you miss it that much .
I would say the room furnishings/decor were more of a three star standard than four. The bathroom in our studio apartment was nothing stunning but was very clean & acceptable just quite plain and a touch dated to be called 4 star maybe.
I think the bar area indoor & outdoor seating areas were four star standard and level of service from staff was four star also. We too met Colin on reception and he really is a lovely helpful guy.
Andreas the manager is really great, he was always around making sure everything was just right and he always had time to stop and talk to you. On arrival as we checked in we were offered juice and refreshing wipes and when we got to our room there was a bottle of Cava waiting for us. It was also our first year wedding anniversay during our stay and we had told Andreas about this. On the day of our anniversay when we came back to the room there was a very impressive basket of fresh fruit inc watermellon kiwi fruit etc & another bottle of Cava and a card to wish us congratulations, which we thought was really nice of Andreas to have arranged. He really is a major selling point of this place as are most of the staff here.
Location wise, we thought it was ideal, it is about a ten minute walk to bar street and 15 minutes to the harbour. The King jason is located in a residential area just one block off a main road, so not the prettiest of places as you step outside the main entrance just like any other residential street in the area but it is quiet. You are close enough to everything you need but out of the noise. There are a few restaurants/bars within a two minute walk, Mr Chicken being one of them had a really nice chicken salad here. There is a main road that runs along the back but I have to say we didn't really notice it. There is a raised sunbathing terrace/lounging area at the end of the swimming pool which the road backs onto and you could hear some road traffic noise from here but it was not a problem.
The grounds to the King Jason i.e paths and bar and swimming pool areas are well kept. Clean, tidy with pretty plants and flowers dotted about.
It did get busy around the pool, and people were reserving sunbeds from about 7am! but we always managed to find sunbeds even if it meant a bit of manouvering to put two next to each other. The swimming pool is really warm. We thought it must be heated, but it wasn't it is just heat from the sun! There is no pool bar which is a little annoying everytime you wanted a drink you had to walk to the dining area bar or go to the onsite shop. Not a major problem only prob 30 mtrs away just think it's an extra service they could offer.
The restaurant onsite is ok. It is expensive and the food is average. If you can be botherd to walk two minutes down the road it is worth it because the food is of the same standard, if not better at Mr.Chicken (it is better than the image conjured up by the name-honest!) and it is much cheaper. The restaurant onsite only serves food for set times aswell I think breakfast was 8 til 10 then lunch 1 til 3 and dinner 6 til 9. A bit restrictive we thought as when on holiday you tend not to conform to the usual set feeding timetables.

We also tried to keep our room on but couldn't because it was so busy and the next guests were arriving so soon after our checkout time. Which is 12 midday, not bad I thought, many palces we have stayed at it has been 10am or 11am room vacate. so cases are left in reception if you have a later take off time and there are male & femail shower / washroom facilities next to the downstairs gym & swimming pool not the greatest, again clean but just a little dated, I tried to slide the shower door closed and the whole thing tiltled out of the runner! So it was shower with the door open but it didn't realy matter.

So to sum up, we had a really lovely week here. It is not five star luxury but a good tidy acceptable standard, so make sure you do not pay five star prices to stay here.
It is in a excellent location if you want to be just that little walk from the harbour & bar street where all the action is . The staff are great and the main bar/pool/reception areas are worthy of four star status. I would definitley stay here again.

• Liked — A fair quality for a fair price in a good location with a very helpful & friendly manager
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah_JaneKent
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

Stayed at these apartments at the beginning of July ’08 mainly on the recommendations here on my trusted Trip Advisor.

Although not the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in, not the best either. I was on a SC basis on a package with Thomson so cannot comment on the food in the hotel. We were given room 58, a one bed apartment which was spacious enough on the second floor. This was one of the rooms which did not overlook the pool area so not much to look at view wise, although being on the top floor at least the small balcony was fairly sunny.
The rooms definitely need updating, although reasonably clean, and the kitchen had a small fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster and a small oven/grill. I only tried to use the grill to cook some bacon but it took forever so would not like to try to cook something more substantial. Anyway there are plenty of eating out options around in Paphos.
Strangely though with three appliances there was only one socket to plug them in so you could not put the kettle on and toast bread at the same time. You had to unplug one thing then plug another in which was a little annoying. Maybe they should put a multiplug there.
Aircon was free but noisy and did wake me up a couple of times although very effective. I was there with my daughter so let her have the bedroom to contain her mess LOL. The sofas in the living area were actually only single beds, not real sofa beds so although ok to sleep on not the best to sit on. The bathroom was nice enough and some toiletries were supplied.
As mentioned before the maid does not come around every day (especially on Sunday) and does not do much cleaning, maybe changes the towels and the bed sheets once a week and quickly mops the floor.
Like others I found the hotel reception to be pretty friendly and helpful. The grounds are fairly well kept and the pool area was pretty clean. It was peak season when I was there so it could be difficult to get a sunbed especially if you wanted two together.
One thing I kinda resented for a supposed 4T place was that you had to rent beach towels at 4 euros per week each so for a family of 4 that’s 32 euros for towels for two weeks. Bring your own is my advice. I have never encountered this before. A deposit perhaps, but not actually charging you to use them. They will change them for clean ones on request though.
Cats, what’s all the fuss about. Yes there are a few cats around, I saw maybe 5 or 6 but then I like cats. Even fed a couple of them. Lots of cats mean very few rats and mice. I know what I would prefer!
Location of this accommodation was the most disappointing factor for me. I knew it was not right in the tourist area but I thought I read that you just had to cross the road and you were basically in Kato Paphos. Strictly speaking that is true but it’s a 20 minute walk in 35C heat to the start of the harbour and 15 minutes to the start of the bars etc so bear this in mind. There are a couple of places at the end of the street to eat but I would avoid Romano’s (I think that’s what its called). Ate there the first night and the food was awful. Otherwise the area around the hotel is pretty desolate, a mixture of local dwellings, half completed buildings and blank dusty plots. If you are looking for picturesque views then forget it. It’s also dimply lit at night on the quiet surrounding streets.
There did not seem to be any entertainment or nightlife in the complex itself, bearing in mind this is in peak season, you really have to go out of the hotel to a bar or something.

The only internet in the hotel was one computer downstairs from reception which cost 2 euros per 10 minutes. Ok I’m not gonna spend hour on the net but I personally like to use it for checking restaurant recommendations, places to go etc. I have never been to Cyrpus before and could have really used a wi-fi conection even if I had to pay for it. There is an internet café close by across the dual carriageway but I went there only to discover they had no internet. Pub with no beer springs to mind.

So in conclusion re the hotel. Good if you want to laze around the pool all day and don’t expect too much luxury. I took a look at the guest book and one comment was that it was the best hotel they had ever stayed in. Well not quite for me but maybe I have higher expectations.

I am not rating the hotel re this but as for Paphos and Cyprus in general I was a little disappointed. Ate in quite a few places and maybe it was just my bad luck but the only decent meal we had in seven days was in Chloe’s Chinese on the seafront in Kato Paphos which I highly recommend. Food and service were excellent even when we went in at a couple of minutes to 2300 and that’s when they shut. Meal for two with wine was 75 euros. Not cheap I suppose but I really don’t mind paying that if I enjoyed it.
Had lunch on our last day in a new Cypriot place opposite Chloe’s which they were still building the day we got there. I had pork kebab which came with rice, chips & over boiled frozen mixed veg out of a packet, a pet hate of mine. My daughter thought she was safe with a chicken salad but it came smothered in marie rose sauce so she didn’t eat it. Beautiful location right by the sea but really these places need to sort the food out and it’s not even that cheap that you can forgive them.
They have all but finished the promenade which I previously read had been under construction and it looks very nice. All they need to do now is throw the timeshare touts manning it in the sea to stop them pestering you.
Does anyone know of a decent sandy beach in Cyprus because even after searching for a couple of days in a hire care I could not find one from Limasol to the north of the island and certainly not in Paphos unless you count pebbles and rocks as a beach.
I was also unimpressed by the Tomb of the Kings, supposedly a world heritage site. I am normally very interested in old relics (ask the ex wife) etc but hmm.. this really is just a sandy old graveyard isn’t it? Palatine Hill or the Palace of Knossos it ain’t. Also drove on the recommendation of a friend to the fantastic Baths of Aphrodite about an hour from Paphos. Basically a small pool of water surrounded by rocks. Maybe she did have the odd shower there who knows. Seemed to me that someone had just stuck a sign up and started printing tee-shirts.
At this point I gave up on investigating the ancient history of Cyprus.

Now I may sound like a right moan in this report but if you read my others hopefully you will see that I like to be positive when its due but I don’t think Cyprus is my bag and I probably will not be back. I know lots of people love it and go back every year but some people love S&M bondage sessions as well. Don’t let me put you off and the weather was fantastic when we were there.

• Liked — The pool and area
  • Disliked — The general location and the rooms need updating
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank RonaldoC
Leicester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

Having returned from the Louis King Jason.
The Room,
We had a studio apartment. The room wasnt a bad size, but slightly basic. The curtains didnt fit properly nor did the shower curtain. The aircon was free but noisey. The beds were very soft and moved around when you was in them. The maids only came in every other day.
The pool,
I found this about the best part of the hotel. It was clean and really warm, around the sunbeds was cleaned everyday. The gym equipment looked quite dated. Also to use the steam room/Sauna it was a 13 euro charge per hour. The jacuzzi was absolutely freezing, but was nice to jump in on a hot day.
Also I read on this site that the hotel was suplosed to be overrun with cats, but I only saw 4. Which was no problem at all they just left you alone, but was very friendly.
The shop/Reception,
I found this slightly overpriced but then I have never found a shop in a hotel that isnt. It had a fair selection of goods, from milk to bread, beer to wine, icecream etc.
On reception there was an old boy called Colin who was an absolute diamond, nothing was too much trouble and he was always willing to help. The manager Andreas I only met him twice as I only used the hotel as a base I found him very polite and easily approachable.
Hotel Location,
Its nicely located in a quiet area, however you do get a little road noise. 10 mins walk from the main bars and 15/20 mins from the harbour. It is located in a housing estate but no bother.
Checkout,
If you decide to book this, and your flight is late make sure you book before you arrive as you cant do it once in resort as I found out. They dont have a courtesy room so you have to leave your cases by reception.
But you can shower downstairs not the nicest of places.
Overall,
I would personally give this a 3 star rating just doesnt cut it for me.
The main question is would I stay here again? Yes I would but not for the money I paid.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — Maid service every other day. Noisy air con and maids noisey early in the morning.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mistyboy22
Plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

Working out in Cyprus, we have stayed in the majority of Paphos hotels for weekned breaks. Mainly in the tourist area, this was a break from the norm as the King Jason is not on the main tourist strip - and thank goodness. Quiet, secluded, very personal and intimate it is a lovely place to stay. Really friendly from arrival, with complementary cocktails in the evening, the self-catering apartments are large and very comfortable with every thing you need. Centred around a large pool, there are plenty of sunbeds with a seperate raised area with lovely double sunbeds under canopys for te romantic touch. Breakfast was basic but with everything you need to set you up for a relaxing da by the pool!! Has really proved that if you break away from the main tourist areas there are great places to stay that offer a more personal touch where you are not just another tourist passing through. Well worth considering for a break in Paphos.

• Liked — Great friendly welcome and pool
  • Disliked — Only booking for two nights!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family