“Don't believe the bad reviews!!”

TUI SENSIMAR Pioneer Beach Hotel by Constantinou Bros
Ranked #23 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed at the Pioneer Beach Hotel from the 29th of August '07 to the 8th of September '07 and had an amazing time!!!

We were on honeymoon and having read some of the reviews before we went, we were slightly apprehensive about going. This however was totally unneccessary as it is a fabulous hotel!

On arrival we were greeted by friendly reception staff, who offered a quick and efficient check-in. Our bags were brought to our room by a porter which was lovely! We had a double room with a sea view on the third floor which was immaculate. Room size was great and the complimentary slippers/dressing gowns provided were a nice touch. Air conditioning was great and had different settings. We would set it to high during the day for maximum effect and put it on low overnight for a comfortable sleep. Was a little noisy when on the high setting but was well worth it!! Room was cleaned and hoovered daily which was great, and bedding/towels were changed at our discretion.

The rest of the hotel was also immaculate and the staff were always very friendly towards us. Don't know who the moany staff are that other reviews talk about!!! Personally we couldn't fault them.

The pool was lovely, especially with no children around. However people did tend to reserve beds around the pool area. We never had a problem finding beds however and always got one either around the pool, on the grassy garden area or on the beach.

We stayed Bed and Breakfast and are glad that we did this because there are soooo many places to eat out between the hotel and the harbour. The hotel is in a quieter area however this was not a problem. The harbour is a good 40 mins walk away, but the bus service was perfect for getting there. Only took 5 - 10 mins on he bus and cost between 70 and 80 cents each. Occassionally we got a taxi back at night as the bus stopped at 11pm and this cost around 5 Cypriot Pounds. If walking to the harbour it is more or less on a straight path with bars and restaurants along the way. Breakfast in the hotel was ideal, and provided a great selection.

Being on honeymoon we treated ourselves to a massage in the health spa which was lovely. I paid 25 Cypriot Pounds for a head, neck and shoulder masage (45 mins) and my husband paid around 35 Cypriot Pounds for a full body massage (45 mins). Very relaxing and well worth the money!

We stayed at the Pioneer with Olympic Holidays and went on their trip to Famagusta (the ghost town) which we would recommend. It was amazing to see if you're into stuff like that!

Overall, we had an amazing stay at the Pioneer Beach and would return in a second! Maybe we have lower standards than other reviewers or maybe we are just easy to please!........Who knows, but we definitely disagree with a lot of the bad reviews that have been posted and if you are worried about going here........don't be!

There is just one tiny thing I would suggest to other females or anyone who will want to use a hairdryer when they are there......take your own. The one in our room used to cut out after a while and would take a while to cool down and restart again!

14  Thank xthemullysx
Write a ReviewReviews (2,098)

Reviewed September 9, 2007

I travel a lot and this hotel was comfortable compared to some of the properties I have stayed in this year!!

We were expected, and check-in was non-fussy and completed in minutes, just what you need after a days traveling! We were the only ones checking in though....

The hotel only has 3 floors and so it wasn't ages for the lift to arrive. No porter available to check the bags to the room so we lumped them ourselves. First impressions were ok. The room was large enough and clean. Twin beds (as the norm) and a TV. Bath with shower over and a notice near the loo telling you not to put paper down or it will block the drains.

We as most people were on a B&B basis and there is not a lot round the hotel, it took us 40 minutes stroll to get to the 'Tourist area' with a KFC,Starbucks and Pizza Hut (lovely, not) so the first 2 nights we had the buffett. After that we hired a car and the food front looked up enormously as did the entertainment available. The food was fine but a little confused. They had obviously tried to get a good mix of international flavours but the selection was a bit miserable. Veg was carrots and beans and the usual chips were high in priority!! Some of the dishes did look as if they had been warmed from an earlier time (but I really don't think this could have been the case). Breakfast was quite a nice array of fruit of which some was canned, but the orange slices although fresh were rank!! Bread galore, including over done crusty crossiants, an 'is it raw today or cooked' egg selection and other cooked items. The food was all in big vat type containers which reminded me of school dinners. the coffee pots were filthy and we did not touch them, opting instead to make our own from the selection available. After that we hired a car and the food front looked up enormously as did the entertainment available in the evenings.

The maid service was a revelation! I have no recollection of staying anywhere that gave such a prompt and good service as this hotel. The island as many places in the world now has a policy that embraces the need to conserve resourses. Towels will be changed at your prompt - you place them on the floor of the bathroom, and the beds unless you specify by leaving a card on the pillow, will only be changed on every 4th days stay. We were so impressed with the maid we gave her a massive tip at the end of the stay.

The upgrade offered by our tour company for a total of £50 was a bit of a rip! Fresh fruit and sparkling wine and a taxi to and from the airport. The Fruit was: 1 orange, a Kiwi and 2 apples. The sparkling wine was a grand £2.50cyp from the local supermarket!! The taxi was metered at 5.70 from the airport to the hotel....

Staff were courteous and although the waiting staff in the resturant/breakfast room were a bit grumpy they did the job. The majority of the patrons at the hotel were English and they are sometimes the most arrogant and selfish people I have ever come across but on our floor (3) there was a coffee table and sofa near the lift where people would leave mags and books, suntan lotion and in our case we left 2 bottles of water on our last day for someone to use.

In all it was a pleasant stay that was boosted by the excellent service and helpfulness of the reception staff, who even at one point rang the tour operators emergency and office numbers for us - nobody ever answered the emergency number for the tour operator though - just for the record!! The office number was only in operation for a couple of hours a day. Need anybody from Olympic Holidays on a Sunday? Tough they are too busy laughing at you in Paphos Airport because your flight has been delayed by over 5 hours. Seriously, the tour operator staff thought it was hilarious but that's another story......

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MaxwellLancashireUK
Reviewed September 7, 2007

We have just come back from The Pioneer Beach, and what a fabulous hotel it is. The staff were very friendly, the food was fab and the room was clean. We arrived at night and the staff were welcoming. We had a room on the second floor which had a side sea view. It wasn't the best view but we never had time to sit on the balcony so it didn't bother us. The room was very clean and the hospitality tray was topped up daily. We had twin beds which were easy to push together and once we did, housekeeping made it up as a double.
Breakfast was plentiful with a huge choice as was the evening meal as we stayed half board. I would recommend this as Paphos can be quite pricy. There are several themed nights which are good. The restaurant for these is moved outside around the pool - great atmosphere.
The biggest selling point for this hotel is the fact that it is child free. If you want peace and tranquility this is the place.
The only down side is the lack of sunbeds. There are loads of them but you have to put your towels on them by 6am or you don't get one. There are loads of things to do in Paphos. The mosaics are fab and only cost £2. Beware the heat though. It gets incredibly hot walking round them! The best trip we went on was on a catamaran ( don't think you spell it like this though). We did a day cruise to Latchi and came back on the sunset cruise. There was an open bar, lunch and dinner were provided and the boat stopped off for snorkling and swimming in some stunning coves. It wasn't packed either. 35 of us were on it going and only 12 back.
Overall the holiday and the hotel were great! We had our flight grounded on the way back and were put up in another hotel for the night, Iberostar Ledra Beach ( a 4 star) and it wasn't a patch on the Pioneer! - but that's another review!

10  Thank Ayjones
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My partner and I (both age 30) stayed at this hotel from 29th August to 5th September 2007.

I was apprehensive about the hotel after reading reviews on this site where people had found that the hotel catered for the 55+ age group, but am pleased to report, this wasn't the case! A good mix of ages, mainly couples (no children allowed in this hotel which was nice and peaceful).

Immediate forst impression was a 'fusty' smell when entering reception (and when entering the room for the first time) . Reception staff friendly and efficient on check-in.

The hotel decor is very dated, with most furniture looking very 70's. However, no complaints about the cleanliness, bathroom was very clean and presentable, beds comfy.

Air-conditioning in room was very noisy and kept me awake, even when switching it off, a droaning could still be heard.

Beach lovely shape, with plenty of subbends, but a shame about the abundance of cigatette buts littering the sand.
Pool very clean, pool bar staff very friendly and proffessional at all times.

We stayed B&B so can only comment on the breakfast: Staff generally ok but often grumpy! and not very prompt at re-setting tables. Food: really good choice of cooked breakfast ( deep-fried sausages and bacon), cerials, breads, toast, jams, olives, fruit (some fresh, but mainly canned). Flasks on tables with coffee and hot water were dirty and again, 70's inspired!

Things went a little wrong when we requested an extended check-out. This would prove to be the most accurate test of service as it appeared to be a busy time for check-outs. We paid for an extention in a new room, only to be put off at hour-long intervals until 3 hours later when we finally got it! Staff apologetic.

Overall an everage stay, the hotel served a puropse but I wouldn't stay again.

If you enjoy a quality meal with excellent service (£40-50 sterling for two with wine), visit Oleastro or Cavalini restaurants, about 15 mins walk from the Pioneer Beach hotel- highly recomended, food is fantastic and service impecable.

We did have a couple of disaster meals- at the Poseidonas Fish Tavern (at Paphos Harbour on a balcony overlooking the harbour) here if you order anything described as Garlic on the menu it will be smothered in lots cheap tasting garlic mayonnaise, with a pile of frozen veg to the side! Service was non-existant with the main course arriving before we'd finished the (equally poor)starters!
Also avoid Plaka Restaurant which is 100 yards further down from the Cavalini (mentioned above). Eager owner beckoning people in and there's no wonder! I'll just say this; Garlic mushrooms?...5 (yes, I counted!) slices of mushroom in a tasteless white sauce piled on top of a soggy wedge of bread to 'pad' out the plate and main courses that looked like they'd come from a microwave packet. Appalling.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WORKER_ANT
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I dont see how people can say this was a good hotel,read on and find out.

Well what can I say about this attempt at a over rated 4 star hotel, its more like a very average 3 star.
This hotel is just a three-story travel lodge nothing more so don’t get your hopes up.
I have stayed in 3,4 and 5 star hotels around the world and have seen better 3 stars.

THE HOTELS WEB SITE
First of all do not get fooled by the web site ,or the literature in it, it is very misleading and nothing like what you see

THE BOOKING

When we booked with our tour operator I asked for a double, on the print out it said a twin, I asked the girl saying we want a double, she assured me this is how the confirmation is printed and we would get our large double room with a large balcony, I also insisted we wanted a late check out time as our flight was 10.30 pm, hence we did not want to leave our room at 12.00 noon and be hanging around for 8 hours until our taxi arrived, again we were told no problem just ask for this on arrival at the hotel.

On the night of arrival we were taken to our room, shock a very small poky twin room my girl friends heart sank, I was not going to let this go. So I explained what we had paid for £1600 sterling and this was not right, the receptionist very moody almost had ago at me and told me this is the only room they had, I kept cool and after insisting she found my double, again a very small room and tiny balcony, anyhow we were tired and decided to take this and resume our chat in the morning.

Next morning I went down to try and get the room we wanted they would not budge a inch very rude and unhelpful, ok the case of the late check out, I asked for our late check out as promised by Thomas Cook, what a surprise they would not give us that either, so instead of the 9 day holiday we booked we ended up 8 days The final day we were out of our room by 12 noon, so a day wasted hanging round the hotel lobby, no place to have a nice shower or rest before our flight, at 2.30pm they decided to give us a room, a bit late as the day had gone and all the excursions we wanted to go on had left. Thanks Thomas Cook for letting us down.

THE HOTEL
Ok the hotel, The pool was murky every morning we went down for a sun bed they were all gone people would go down at 5-6 am and grab all the sun beds, great.
The beech, once you swam out 50 odd meters it was nice but the beech was covered in seaweed and very rocky and you end up stubbing toes and scrapping knees.
As far as the sports and leisure facilities are concerned forget it, a sand covered tennis court and a cowboy water sport chap who I never saw, sitting under a make shift lean to.The sauna, solarium, Jacuzzi and steam room all was at an extra charge.

Breakfast, if you like stale bread, cold coffee and grumping staff, and you had to pay for fresh orange juice fine go for it if you like that kind of thing, there was no coffee shop open in the day to grab a snack just the pool side one which was hot and humid and the food looked a few days old I had a salad which was not good, the evening buffet well same again not great.
Its just basically horrible stale greasy fry up a glorified greasy spoon
A four star hotel should not allow guests bare footed and wearing only swimming trunks and bikinis with feet on the tables into the foyer.

The manicure room with filthy and dirty and the staff were not well presented at all, the out side pool bathrooms were smelly and dirty with about a cm of urine covering the floor were the toilets had leaked, bins overflowing.

Our room was hovered once in 8 days, we had to ask for clean towels, the linen would not have been changed unless we stripped our bed and put it by the door, our pillows were not once changed in the nine days, the air-conditioning was very noisy and not working well so nights were very hot, water was spraying out of the air conditioning in the foyer, I could go on.
Oh well that’s my review of the Pioneer Beach Hotel You decide, I just advise you not to take a chance and stay there.

7  Thank tequila1
Reviewed August 27, 2007

WE stayed here for our honeymoon. if you do stay make sure you go half board or full. The food is out of tis world. buffet style with many choices. hotel very clean. and staff speak good english. water park is set behind hotel. bars supermarkets 15 min walk. great place to stay.

3  Thank amfortune
Reviewed August 17, 2007

My husband and I have just had a few weeks at the Pioneer Beach hotel,we enjoyed it no end! We are both in our (very) early fifties (the new 30's I believe)..... It was good to be in a hotel with no kids, nothing against them... but much more relaxing,no screaming or splashing around the pool.
Since getting home my daughter has seen the brochure and our holiday snaps and fancies it for her and her partners next holiday. We noticed during our stay the majority of guests were mostly 30 something. A few younger and a few older... but I would class this hotel suitable for all ages! (whatever others say)...

There were a couple of people complaining about lack of entertainment in the hotel, we didnt find this a problem at all as there is plenty going on in Paphos town just a short bus ride (or taxi) away! I suppose it just depends on how much you need entertaining!

We also heard 1 woman moaning there was nothing she liked for breakfast there in the morning.... "I would love to know what she normally eats"!!! THERE'S ALWAYS ONE!
We would certainly go back again, and we never normally go to the same place twice.

"Nice one" all the staff at the Pioneer..... And thank you!

6  Thank cybilbasil