“Disabled? This is the place”
Review of Avanti Hotel

Avanti Hotel
Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We have just returned from 2 weeks stay at this hotel. After reading so many mixed opinions of how fantastic to how awful this place was, we decided to take a chance as it fitted the bill with myself being disabled. I took my own mobility scooter with me for the first time ever and booked a private taxi transfer with a platform lift from Paphos Airport to the hotel (30 mins ) using CA Taxi of Polis. It cost e150 payable by credit card 14 days in advance of the holiday but what a godsend it was. I didn't have to get off of my scooter once I left the aircraft until I reached the hotel room. The hotel lent me one of their wheelchairs for mealtimes so it was easy to transfer over and to be able to sit at the table to eat and have the freedom to go outside and about on the scooter. (Warning - Some of the drop kerbs there are so steep, they're unreal, but there are more friendlier ones nearby. We managed the 25 minute walk to the harbour area with no problem)
We arrived at the hotel well before the coach transfer and it just took a few minutes to be checked in by Donna at reception, a very helpful English lady We were given a ground floor room on the pool side (sunny side) of the hotel with a large bacony, table and 2 chairs. The room itself was spacious, clean, large comfortable beds, good decor, safe, fridge, hair drier, keetle, sheets were changed regularly. The carpets has one of two small stains/marks as did the walls with the odd scuff but to us were perfectly acceptable when you think how many different people stay in that room. Breakfasts and dinners are buffet style. Breakfast choice was full english, continental, fruits, breads, toast, croissants, fruit juice, tea, coffee etc etc. Dinner was held in the Alcyon restaurant which was very nice. There was different soup each evening, a selection of cold meats and salads and about 14 hot dishes each evening. Deserts held a choice of Gateau's, Ice creams, Fresh fruit and Cheeses and biscuits. Although there wasn't a vast array of dish after dish of food, what there was was of very good quality and very well cooked and meats very tender. Every aspect of the hotel is accessible for the wheelchair or scooter user with the sole exeption of the rear of the hotel gardens with had about 4 or 5 steps down to the pavement, but you coiuld go out of the front main entranbbce and could reach this point with a 5 mninute walk. My mobility scooter measures 24" wide x 48" long and just about squeezed in the lifts lengthwise. Anyone with a longer scooter would not be able to use the lift to get down to the basement for the indoor pool, games room, sauna jacuzzi etc but could by going down a long ramp to the outside pool and then using a side door. Evening entertainment wasn't that good but adequate usually a quiz, karaoke, a couple singing, disco etc etc. From 8.45 - 9.45 there was a happy hour 4 evenings a week which bought you 2 cocktails for e3.75 . Daytime there were boules, darts, aerobics, volleyball provided enough people joined in. The outside pool was big in size with plenty of sunbeds available. The pool bar and the air con in the rooms we found out after arrival didn't operate until May. I would definitely return again at some future stage.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,966)

Reviewed March 26, 2009

Poor things first! This is a hotel that penny pinches at every opportunity. it advertises leisure facilities but all except the indoor pool incur a charge - even the jacuzzi, GYM and sauna have to be paid for! I have never been to a hotel where residents must pay to use the gym - and its not cheap and nothing spectacular. Ditto the internet in the foyer is very pricey and charged per 10 minutes) (better to cross the road to the internet cafe - nice people and much cheaper). The safe hire costs a staggering £14 per week. But most pathetic of all you get a kettle in the room and 2 tea baga, 2 coffees and 2 mini milks on arrival but they will not replenish the tea and milk - they even say so in the room manual. Location: rooms that overlook the pool are fairly quiet but most outer rooms (the majority) overlook the car park or 2 very busy main roads - a friend of mine who is a good sleeper was frequently woken by traffic in the night despite sleeping with his windows closed. There is also a huge industrial air extractor on top of the roof which goes from 8.30 am to about 10pm so beware the top floors if you like to sit on your balcony - its makes a horrendous din. The gardens are certainly nice but then there is a busy main road and beachside hotels and restaurants before you get to the beach - if you wish to stay in Paphos I would encourage you to stay at one of the hotels actually on the beach so that you can see and hear the sea from public rooms and gardens rather than the sound of traffic. Like a couple of other reviewers I saw 2 huge cockroaches - one outside the bar and one by the lift on the first floor - and this was february. but i guess there may be little the hotel can do about that (except spray more?). On the plus side my room was always spotlessly clean which is very important to me (yes there are carpet stains but these look more like bleach stains - maybe even the sun as most are by the curtains - and anyway it doesnt take an uncaring guest long to stain the carpet). And most unusually the reception staff were really helpful and friendly - almost unheard of. Breakfast was disappointing - the bread always tasted like it was yesterday's and never crusty- suspect its been in the freezer rather too many weeks (one loaf was still frozen!) there is a lack of fresh fruit but they do keep replenishing the hot food rather than leave it standing around for ever. Dinner starters are a really good salad bar with lots of interesting concoctions, Hot mains no better nor worse than many i.e. very acceptable. Cocktails are really good and they have a half price happy hour 4 nights a week. My summary is that for the money (even in february it was pricey) this hotel was very very poor value and you would be better off in one of the beach hotels across the street - but if you get offered an amazing deal its worth considering. (WE were 6 friends within a party of 50 who were on a 2 week bridge holiday - the above is a general consesus of all our experiences)

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank merionvw
Reviewed February 1, 2009

The hotel was spotless and the staff extremely friendly. I can only describe the Avanti as home from home. Unlike other hotels I have stayed at the Avanti is a warm, safe and friendly environment. It is not a coincidence that many of the people we talked to during our stay had been to the Avanti before and were planning to come again
The pool is wonderful and the breakfast superb and the staff the best I have ever experienced. People of all ages were at the hotel which added to its inclusive family atmosphere. My two girls aged 15 and 8 loved it and seemed to make friends very easily which always helps! We will be back in 2009 and I can thoroughly recommend this hotel for people who want high quality accommodation close to the Paphos harbour.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank ml89
Reviewed January 15, 2009

My family have just returned from the Avanti hotel , we are 3 adults and a 7yr old daughter. We arrived 17th Dec and stayed until 31 dec , wow , what a great hotel . The staff were wonderful , helpful in every way, nothing was too much trouble for anyone. The rooms were spotless , our sheets were changed every other day , and maids came in every day. Good standard rooms , we had a tv, air con, tea and coffee making facilites, safety box , fridge and a good size balcony. The food was of a high standard , always plenty of choice and hot , and chef was there every evening if anyone required anything specific .I was concerned to read a couple of comments before we travelled , I can guarantee there were NO cockroaches and the hotel carpets were very clean indeed , they are all new having been replaced on 18 months ago.The location is great , across the road from the beach and an easy and pleasant walk to the town and the harbour. If you feel very lazy there are a few good pubs and restaurants in the immediate vicinity, which is great.I can highly recommend the Avanti for both a summer or winter break, it was fabby.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank slateruk
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We hoped for a nice 4 star hotel, but it was rather a 2 or 3 star hotel (believe me, my education = Hotelmanagement)! The reasons; ants in the room, filthy carpet, terrible shower en showercurtain, breakfast every day the same and tasteless, 90% of the personell was unfriendly and crancky, UNBELIEVEBALE. When we complained to the manager about the ants in our room, he laughed at us and told us it was impossible..Tsss.
Cyprus was nice, but please choose another hotel for your own sake.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank hotelquests
Reviewed December 6, 2008

I took a party of 64 bowlers to the Avanti hotel. We had a wonderfull holiday and I cannot praise the staff at this hotel enough. Nothing is too much trouble and the food is excellent

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed November 12, 2008

Our experience in this hotel was extremley unpleasent. We stayed here for two nights in October. The food served around the pool was inedible. On the second night we returned to our room to find the biggest cockroach I have ever seen and spent the next 40 mins turning over every piece of furniture to eliminate it. We the left the hotel for dinner and returned to find our room was broken into. Phones and wallets had been taken. The staff were extremely unhelpful to say the least. The receptionist would not even let my wife call the Banks to cancel credit cards etc from reception and told us that we had to do this at our own expense. The room was clearly broken into as a result of a dodgy balcony door lock. The following morning the Hotel Manager basically refused to believe that the balcony door was the issue even though the police had verifiied this the night before. The manger was clearly inferring that we had made the whole thing up and I have never had such a bad taste in my mouth when leaving a hotel in my whole life.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family