“Another wonderful holiday at this hotel”

Alexander The Great Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Have just come back from another wonderful time at The Alexander the Great Hotel. We have lost count of the number of times we have been back to this hotel. First of all the staff, everyone of them cannot do enough for you. After a long journey you walk into the reception area to be greeted by such smiles and for us, welcome back to The Alexander. Check in is minimal and you are given a welcome drink on arrival. The very helpful Porter takes you to your room which is spotless. A lovely touch was the champagne in a bucket waiting for us with two glasses. The beds in this hotel are so comfortable and you can request feather or synthetic pillows which makes such a difference to a good nights sleep. We were in room 252 and the lady that cleaned our room most days was an absolute delight but unfortunately did not know her name. Kettle etc and assortment of teas, coffee etc there in your room. It was also good to see the hotel had invested in new fluffy towels for bathroom and pool towels as in previous years it was a bit hit or miss as to whether you had a reasonable towel or not. Great to have all the English channels on the TV which is of a nice size and flat screen. One of the things that all hotels should adopt is that you choose your sunbed and that is where you stay for 2 weeks as it has a marker on it of your room number. No getting up early to get a sunbed. We went bed and breakfast as part of our holiday is to go out in the evening to different places to eat. However we did return on many occasions to watch the evening entertainment. Warren is the Manager of the entertainments and we have to say the 5 of them work incredibly hard and produce some good evening entertainment. How lovely to sit out in the warm by the lovely pool area and have a drink watching their shows. Would also like to mention how excellent the pool and bar staff are. You are greeted with such a smile even though they may have been working for several hours. Special mention of Angelina who was first class and always went that extra mile for you. As you will read from the reviews the hotel has had a complete refurbishment and the pool area etc is first class and again kept spotlessly clean. The flowers in the pool area were much improved from previous years and they now have new bedchairs and umbrellas which has made such a difference. Breakfasts - what can you say, absolutely fabulous with such a huge choice of everything. Lovely seating area outside to sit and eat. There is absolutely nothing as far as we are concerned to complain about with this hotel. One thing of note there are no balconies in the rooms that overlook the front of the hotel onto the road. One very special person is Leoni Petrou who we always email before we come with regards to our room or any other small request. She is such a lovely person and always does her best with regard to our requests. We are in the process of rebooking this hotel for next year and the good news is that it is cheaper than this year!

Room Tip: No balconies in the rooms overlooking the front of the hotel. If you want a balcony you need to pay...
5  Thank yogiEastbourne
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Let me express my sincere thanks and appreciation for your kind words and to be given the opportunity to extend our hospitality.

Your views about the warm greeting you received on arrival, the very helpful porter, the cleaning lady, the new fluffy towels, the English TV channels on the TV as well as the Smart TV, the sun bed allocation, the pool and bar staff especially Angelina, Leoni in our reservations department, Warren and the Allstars and the food in the hotel are most appreciated. The staff you have mentioned will be delighted when I show them your review.

It gives me great pleasure to have met your holiday expectations and hope to be able to welcome you back at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel is amazing. From it's superb location, fantastic food and top quality accommodation to the attentive staff it never disappoints. I particularly like the sun bed allocation system as it is fair to everyone. I always feel that they have a good balance of guests covering a wide age span from the very young to the young at heart and manage to accommodate all really well. I have stayed many times before, and will most certainly return again.

Room Tip: I have stayed in all combinations of rooms and all are of a very high standard, however, to avoid di...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Joyce M

Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos.

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that we have lived up to your holiday expectations.

Thank you for also mentioning the superb location, the fantastic food, top quality accommodation and most importantly that you found our team of staff to be attentive.

Looking forward to the day when we welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed here with my husband at the beginning of June in a superior room. Our room was perfect; large, airy, two separate seating areas and a huge balcony with sun loungers, umbrella, table and chairs. The bed was large and one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have slept in. The maid service was first rate both morning and evening. Small thing, but I liked the fact that mugs were actually replaced with fresh ones daily and not merely washed out.
The hotel is extremely well maintained and the staff are, without doubt, the most friendly, courteous, helpful and thoroughly pleasant that I have ever encountered. They remembered our drink preferences and service was always prompt. They obviously have many returning guests (I am not surprised) and greeted them by name, even asking after other members of the family not present this time. I am sure that much of this is due to the fact that the manager is a very public presence, always ready with a smile and a word whilst keeping an eye on the staff, thereby keeping everyone on their toes. The cleaners are scrupulous in their efforts and, whilst relaxing with a G&T it was with interest that I watched as a senior staff member stood by large glass windows, pointing out from the inside, where children had left sticky finger prints outside only a short while before. Tip: if you want entertainment with your cocktails, then go to the terrace around 5.30pm to watch the wedding party of the day as they swelter in their finery.
The hotel has a very sensible policy to stop sunbed wars at dawn; you are allocated sunbeds for your party on the first day and they are yours for the duration of the holiday. You are also supplied with lots of fresh fluffy towels for use by the pool. I noticed on our last day that it didn't stop someone putting their own towels on their sunbeds before breakfast, just not necessary - some habits must be hard to break. The pools are spotlessly clean and a pleasure to use. The spa pools are a great idea.
The restaurant policy was good; there is a Taverna, a Japanese restaurant and an Italian restaurant as well as the main one. Guests on half board can choose to eat at each of the speciality restaurants once in a week, thereby going to the main one the other nights. On our first evening we went for the Japanese meal and it was superb. I don't like sushi but was offered a vegetarian option which I thoroughly enjoyed, then had salmon and other courses. This is all served outside.The Taverna served typical Cypriot food which was excellent and also outside. The Italian meal was indoors and was again, of a very high quality. I must confess that although the main restaurant looks very elegant, the food did not really match the surroundings. It is served buffet style and was not really very inspiring. Having said that, it was perfectly acceptable, just not as good as the others. Breakfast can be taken either indoors or out and we were regularly shown to our table by Emma, an English girl who was unfailingly bubblyl and polite.
The hotel is situated about a ten minute walk from Paphos so there was no need to go there if you didn't want to. It was pleasant to turn left along the seafront in the evening and stroll along past the other hotels. We didn't always stay for the entertainment, though I feel I should give praise where it is due to the young guy who did his first solo night on the Sunday we were there. He held the audience attention with a rendition of songs and was engaging and entertaining. He also did a respectable Michael Buble. I am afraid I cannot say the same for Warren who I found to be rather uninspiring and sadly lacking in charisma. However, I appreciate that is merely my opinion and others may differ.

I cannot praise this hotel highly enough. It was a real pleasure to stay there and I would gladly return.

Room Tip: High, superior room with a sea view
4  Thank sugarpine
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Warm greetings from Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in Paphos, Cyprus.

Let us thank you for choosing Alexander The Great Beach Hotel for your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments about your stay in our hotel.

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about the Superior Sea View Room which you found to be light and airy, with a very comfortable bed, the sun bed allocation system, the spotlessly clean pools with spa pools, the restaurants, Kiku the Japanese, Garibaldi the Italian and Limanaki the Cypriot Tavern and the location of our hotel.

I will show your review personally to all the staff and in particular Emma from the restaurants and Steven from the entertainments team who will be delighted when they see that they have been mentioned. Your comments will motivate them even more to keep up the excellent work.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Just arrived back from 11nights stay at this hotel, first I would the hotel is class as soon as you walk through the door, great location only five minute walk from the harbour along a nice prom, we chose to upgrade to a full sea view and we glad we did the other option was overlooking the main road or the car park.
The rooms are of a fair size but plenty of room for two people, the bathrooms have everything you need including the great double headed showers, the towels including the beach towels are changed two or three time per day also the bedding was also changed every other day.
On arrival you are given sun beds which are yours for the duration of your stay you can choose and change as other people leave, great idea if you get the beds you want as we did, the only food I can comment on was the breakfast as we only chose bed and breakfast but the choice is first class the only negative being the hot food should be hotter.
Great hotel with a great location.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view or you may end up with looking into the car park/main road.

Dear Reviewer,

Your views about the great location, that you found that your room had plenty of room for you both, that you liked the double headed shower, that the towels are changed everyday and that you approved of the sun bed allocation system are most appreciated.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I loved everything about this hotel. We've only stayed for the weekend back in March 2014, so we only used the indoor pool, which was fantastic! Breakfast buffet had everything! The location was excellent. It is less than 10 minute-walk along the beach to the downtown restaurants and cafes and another 5 to harbour.
Only stayed for a weekend, wish they could offer online booking for 1-2 nights during summer too!
Will go back! Highly recommended hotel in Paphos

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank elenacy

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our indoor pool, the buffet breakfast and the location.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another week-end.

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We booked a side sea room. When we arrived we were given 2 rooms facing the car park. We contacted reception and they offered us alternative rooms but would take a few days. We decided to keep the room as too much hassle moving. If it had given an accurate description initially we wouldn't have minded so much but it def wasn't a side sea view.
The kids club is amazing and Vicky and Sabine did a great job keeping our kids entertained, the children doesn't have many children around and the kids club could be promoted better within the hotel. the only negative was the mini disco wasn't outside so didn't have the same atmosphere as other hotels
Everything else was great! Clean rooms, comfy beds, fresh towels twice a day, turn down service with a chocolate on your pillow. Special mention to Sofia from house keeping who cleaned out rooms to a very high standard every day.
The food was amazing, we were half board plus and had free drinks with our evening meal. The Italian is great and definitely worth a visit. Overall a fab hotel and great holiday and I would recommend.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Clairew1305

Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos.

Vicky and Sabine from the Little Monsters Club and Sofia from Housekeeping will be pleased that they have been mentioned.

Thank you also for commenting about the amazing food, The Garibaldi Italian restaurant and also the half board plus which enables you to have a glass of local wine, or a small beer, or a soft drink per person and a bottle of water between two.

Looking forward to the day when we welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Best hotel we've ever stayed in!!!

Just come home from an amazing and unforgettable time at Alexander the Great hotel.
We had our wedding during our stay which was amazing we couldn't of asked for a better day, the venue was stunning and food was amazing, staff were so helpful and made our special day perfect!! Want to do it all again!!
Highly recommend this hotel to get married at and stay in.
Thanks to all the staff at this hotel who helped us with the wedding and made our stay perfect. Definitely will be returning.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Jodie2288
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

We are glad to see that your wedding day was memorable and that we have managed to make your day perfect. Your comments have already been shared with all the team members concerned and will motivate them even more to keep up the excellent work.

Thank you again for your recommendations to anyone wanting to get married at our hotel.

Wishing you once more congratulations and all the best for your new start together as husband and wife.