“How to have a relaxing Holiday”

Alexander The Great Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“How to have a relaxing Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Returned to Paphos after some years. Most impressed with the improvements to the coast walk that have been made
Even by Cyprus standards the Staff were great. In the Restaurant the level of attentiveness was perhaps too high, but that's better than being ignored.
For those who like the beach and sea swimming, the beach immediately opposite is not great but the next bay is better and it's only a very short walk.
Almost everything about this hotel is first class from the IDEAL sunbed allocation to the accommodation. One tiny niggle though. I understand that there has been a recent refurbishment. In our bathroom the bath 'plug' was a rather overcomplicated piece of engineering that involved a shiny chrome knob that had to be given a half turn to release the water.
Turning this was easy when the bath was empty but when full and with water pressing down on the plate that serves as a plug, with wet hands, very difficult to turn fully. (Use a small towel).
My advice is to go for simplicity next refurbishment. Use a plug!.
AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING I COULD FIND TO BE NEGATIVE ABOUT.
I found the food to be good most of the time. Odd nights when I didn't find much to appeal, but I can perhaps be over fussy. My Wife for whom the 'sweet trolley' is THE most important part of the meal was VERY COMPLIMENTARY though.
All in all a splendid, relaxing holiday.

2 Thank David D
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Let me express my sincere thanks and appreciation for your kind words and to be given the opportunity to extend our hospitality.

Your views about the hotel, the location, the sun bed allocation and the staff are most appreciated.

It gives me great pleasure to have met your holiday expectations and hope to be able to welcome you back at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Gorgeous hotel by the beach. Has an indoor & outdoor pool with happy hours at the pool bar! As a young couple, the room was spacious enough with a balcony to sit and watch the different blues of the sea. Service & breakfast was great – typical Continental breakfast. The spa could have been better. This was the only hotel we have seen where they have entertainment activities in the evening for both kids & adults. The location is great if you want to be by the beach and go out for drinks and have a good time. Not many clubs around though. There’s a mall close by – King’s Avenue and some nice places to shop & dine nearby as well.

We had hired a car on rent and travelled on our own from Larnaca with a map and it was a great experience and the highlight of our trip since this was the first time we drove around on our own. No difficult procedures, all you need is your driving license!

All in all, a very relaxed holiday which was exactly what we were looking for… 4 days of beach, wine, food, relaxation & some water therapy!

1 Thank LItty A
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Your views about the spacious room, the happy hours at the pool bar and the Alexander's bar, the breakfast variety and service are most appreciated by all of us here.

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

The entertainment team were amazing , friendly and fun, night time shows and day time activities were all brilliant, would recommend to anyone, great WiFi service throughout the entire hotel. The indoor pool was warm and clean and very pleasant to swim
in, as well as the outside pool which was brilliantly designed and beautiful to look at and swim in !
The bar staff were all friendly and always had a smile on their faces!

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Samueleverson
Dear Reviewer,

Warm greetings from Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in Paphos, Cyprus.

Let us thank you for choosing Alexander The Great Beach Hotel for your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments about your stay in our hotel.

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about the entertainment team, Warren, Beth, Steven, Emily and Aimee, the bar staff, the great free WiFi service and the indoor and outdoor pools.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Just back from 11 days at Alexander the Great.

The staff are great!
The sunbed allocation system is great (if like us you get your preferred spot after a couple of days) - if you don't you are likely to be in a row on the grass divided by the public footpath going in and out of town which has a constant stream of people passing by!
The position is great - just a ten or fifteen minute walk into town.
The rooms was OK - a side sea view (just) because we requested a bathroom with a walk in shower. The bathroom was great!
The food is certainly not great! Breakfast was OK but the evening buffet was not very appetising. Only one type of (local) fish was served every night (albeit in a variety of sauces). There was a different item each night on the "carvery" section but apart from that everything else was left in heated containers. The salad section was OK but if that was all you wanted, there was nothing to put with it - i.e. cold meat or fish. We did go to the Italian restaurant one night and that was an improvement but did not try either the Japanese or Greek restaurants. They are not all open every night - you have to ask at reception for the dates.
If you are planning a holiday here I would advise booking B & B.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for mentioning that you found the staff to be great, that you liked the sun bed allocation, the location and the room with a walk in shower.

Your constructive comments will certainly help us in our efforts to continuously improve our standards. We are very sadden to read that the service provided by our team in certain areas did not meet with your expectations of our hotel. We thank you for raising these issues and providing us with this valuable feedback. Most certainly we will be looking into these issues within our operations and seeking ways to further improve our service quality.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity of reversing your opinion and the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I am tempted to give a bad review because I want to make sure that I have a good chance of booking again in the future, however in good conscience I cannot. I have just read the previous reviews from Tinadal, Geoff 1502 and Lee P and they are all accurate so I will not repeat everything. Sea view rooms were gorgeous and the staff were very friendly and efficient. The entertainment team of Steven, Bethany, Aimee, Emily and the big boss Warren were excellent. They were the most talented and hard working hotel entertainment team I have ever come across. They could all actually sing and dance professionally. I was impressed. They kept us entertained all day and night. As Lee P said in his review , he kept winning at darts!!! I am sure it was fixed LOL. And to Warren's mum who apparently reads all the reviews, he is behaving himself, because he is so busy he has no choice :0 He is doing a great job. I have only 2 small complaints. When we arrived late, our sea view room was not ready and we were told it would not be ready until the next day. I was not happy as I had paid for a sea view and we were put in a room with no balcony or sea view. I asked to speak to the manager. He was very apologetic and recompensed us adequately for the inconvenience. It was a pity though because my partner was only there for the first week (I was there for 2) and missed out on waking up to a gorgeous view for his first day. We moved to our room the next morning which as i said before was gorgeous. Also my partner is vegetarian and there were very few choices for him so we had to eat out mostly in the evening. We spoke to the chef one evening and he kindly cooked a meal especially for him but there should really be a better variety of food for vegetarians. I personally was quite happy with the food but I also would have liked a bigger choice of vegetarian food as I had had enough meat by the end of the holiday. Despite those complaints I had a great holiday and want to thank all the staff for making it so enjoyable.

1 Thank Maggie C
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about the sea view room and that you found our staff very friendly and efficient. I will make sure that Warren, Steven, Beth, Emily and Aimee see your review and they will be delighted to have been mentioned by name.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hotel is perfect, I have stayed before and the rooms were ok, but now that it is renovated the rooms are great. Clean rooms with unbelievable features. Smart tv with video streaming, and live channels from all over the world. The bathroom is spacious and tidy but most of it i love the blue lights they installed in the bathroom.

The most important is the bed with the mattress that gets the shape of your body. When you sleep on this mattress you enjoy your sleep and you wake up refreshed.

Also the spa are good but I believe they can become better. I love the indoor pool which you can swim since there are not a lot of people using it.

1 Thank Steve T
Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos.

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that we have lived up to your holiday expectations and that you like the renovations we carried out. Thank you also for mentioning the Smart TV, the spacious bathroom with the blue light so that in the evening you don't have to turn all the lights on. Also that you got a good nights sleep on our exclusive bed mattress made especially for our hotel.

Looking forward to the day when we welcome you back to the hotel.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I returned from this hotel on Thursday and what can I say it's the best hotel I have ever stayed at.couldnt even find one fault if I tried.on arrival we were greeted by Craig and Marios at reception and they couldn't be more helpful.we arrived late and was given a cocktail immediately and then were shown to our rooms which I have to say were unbelievable.our room number was 263 and what a amazing view we had.the room was spotless with lots of extras.it was cleaned twice a day.the food was fantastic with a lot of choices and a lot of help from the waiters and waitresses and also the catering manager who was so friendly and helpful.the sun bed allocation was excellent as it didn't matter what time of day we went to use them as they just for us during our stay.the waitresses serving the drinks down by the pool and in the Alexander bar were unreal couldn't do enough for us so would like to mention there names personally which were alina no 1 and alina no 2 and Michaela in the Alexander bar.this was my 4th time to Cyprus and now would only stay at this hotel.i can go on for ages talking about this hotel it was unreal.many thanks for a Lovely stay from Tina and Darren Peachey

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tinadal
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for highlighting that you were greeted warmly by Craig and Marios, that your room was spotless, the food was fantastic and that you found the waiters and waitresses to be helpful and the restaurant manager. I am pleased to read that you liked the sun bed allocation and that you have also mentioned Alina 1, Alina 2 and Michaela that work in the bar.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.