We stayed at this hotel for seven nights as part of a Thomson package holiday. Thomson rate this hotel as 4T+, and is part of their ‘a la carte’ range.
Upon arrival by private transfer, we were warmly greeted by the bellhop who took our luggage from the car, and ushered us into the hotel. Whilst we were completing our credentials, we were offered a lovely fruit drink.
Our room was on the third floor, right at the end of the corridor. The rooms are tastefully decorated, light, airy and spacious. No problems, with the room whatsoever. The room had a balcony with views over the pool and sea - we had prepaid for a sea view room, and prior to our arrival I had requested a high floor.
A few points worth mentioning about the room - the TV is interactive, and has tonnes of channels along with apps too. There is plenty of storage and a complimentary safe. Wi-Fi is free, and was very fast and stable throughout our stay. The rooms are cleaned daily and turned down at night (towels replaced, chocolate on the pillow etc.).
The hotel has a large outdoor swimming pool, adults only area and a very small kids area. There is also an indoor pool. My gripe here would be that the pools needed to be heated, they were bitterly cold, fortunately we had good weather, but the pools could do with being a few degrees warmer.
As most people have mentioned, this hotel operates an allocated sun lounger policy, I think this is a BRILLIANT idea, I wish more hotels would adopt this idea, it makes so much sense. As guests are arriving and departing daily, I'm sure that if you don't pick the right spot, you could change it part way through your stay, but we were happy with our spot.
We were half board for this holiday which meant a buffet breakfast was included and buffet dinner. You can choose to eat one night at the Japanese Restaurant and one night at the Italian. The Japanese food wasn't particularly good. The sushi tasted like supermarket sushi and the cod was very questionable. The Italian food, however was much better. It's worth noting that these restaurants fill up fast, so make reservations early. We were wait-listed for the Japanese restaurant, but managed to get a table. I suggest making reservations when you check-in, or email the hotel prior to arrival.
The food on the breakfast buffet was good, there were plenty of options, however, I can't say it was the best buffet breakfast I've had, but defiantly not the worst. The buffet in the main restaurant was good too, however, it began to get a bit repetitive despite the theme nights and eating in the sit-down restaurants twice. The desserts were a bit disappointing and repetitive, a lot of the cakes were a bit bland and all very similar.
With each meal you receive a bottle of water and a choice of wine (red, white and rosé) or beer. The beer and the rosé were drinkable, the red had no flavour and the white did not taste good!
The biggest asset this hotel has are its staff. Everyone we met was wonderful, engaging and attentive. I must single two out in particular - Paula, who worked in the restaurants, she was fabulous and took a genuine interest in her guests and Philippa, the Guest a Relations Manager - a fountain of knowledge and again, interested and only too pleased to help her guests.
As we stayed over Easter, the hotel had an Easter programme on offer, which included walking to the church on Good Friday to see the “Epitafios” and the Saturday night for the sermon of the resurrection of christ. This tour was escorted by Philippa and the Hotel GM, along with the Entertainment staff. Whilst not my usual cup of tea, it’s always nice to immerse oneself in local traditions and customs.
Another nice and thoughtful touch was that we were left a small Easter treat in our room and during turn down we were left chocolate eggs rather than the usual pillow chocolate.
The entertainment staff were very hardworking. Throughout the day, they were encouraging people to take part in activities and at night were performing in the hotel bar.
I would defiantly recommend this hotel - a great location in Paphos, great rooms, lovely pool area and fabulous staff!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- • Award-winning hotel• Great ‘EU Blue Flag’ beachfront location • Unique central location overlooking the picturesque harbour and old Castle • Recently Renovated • Accommodation capacity 202 rooms• New Garden Superior Cabanas (suitable for couples) Front Sea view, with Jacuzzi bath luxury bathrobes, towels & slippers, free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; free internet access, VIP check In• New Superior Cabanas with infinity private pool(suitable for adults) Front Sea View, with Jacuzzi bath luxury bathrobes, towels & slippers, free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; free internet access, VIP check In• Two Bedroom Penthouse Suite, Full Sea View, Ultra luxury with elegant furniture, Private dining and lounge area, sunbathing facilities, spacious veranda, luxury bathrobes, towels and slippers; Free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; Free internet access; VIP check-in. • Superior Rooms – Front Sea View Rooms offering bathrobes, towels and slippers; Free tea & coffee facilities replenished daily; Free internet access; • Standard Rooms – Front Sea View, Side Sea View & Inland View• New HB & FB plus concept that includes dine around, with the choice of 5 restaurants and free drinks package included with every meal • Roxanne’s Restaurant serves live cooking shows and buffet style theme nights that vary each night; • Garibaldi serves á la carte Italian cuisine (adults-only); • Kiku serves a la carte Japanese cuisine; • Limanaki Greek Tavern overlooking the Mediterranean sea, serves traditional Cyprus meze• Pella pool bar offering snacks, refreshments and cocktails.• Breakfast & lunch served in the Café Royal Restaurant in buffet and show cooking style. A la carte menu is also available at lunch.• Alexander’s main cocktail bar with daily entertainment; • Large lobby & terrace with bamboo style sofas and live piano 3 times a week; • Unique sun bed allocation system to ensure your own sun bed and parasols during your stay; • Free-form swimming pool; (free usage) • Free usage of indoor heated pool (winter) with whirlpool overlooking Paphos old harbor • Aphrodite New Health Club & Spa; Free sauna & steam bath. Massages, facials, manicure and pedicure also available at charge• New spacious fully equipped gym; Tennis court• Hairdressing Saloon • Havana – new outdoor entertainment venue• Professional entertainment & Animation team through out the year• Kids’ Club, professionally run, kids disco and other supervised activities.• Healthy children’s menus• Cots and high chairs available• Kids’ own pool• Family orientated hotel• Wedding venues available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, HRS, Agoda, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Alexander The Great Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander The Great Paphos
- Alexander Great Hotel Paphos
- Alexander Great Paphos
- Alexander The Great Hotel Paphos
- Alexander Great Hotel Cyprus
- Alexander Great Cyprus