“Lovely, lovely, lovely”

Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Paphos
Yorkshire
“Lovely, lovely, lovely”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We visited ATG early May for our 7th time. It was the usual fantastic holiday with the high standards which we have come to expect. The refurbished rooms are lovely. The new outdoor pool is now all one depth (as is the indoor pool), which is perfect for wimpish swimmers like myself who need to be able to put a foot down when necessary!

We were on half board and enjoyed all our meals and cannot understand those who say that the food is bland as there is so much variety. Having a glass of wine and bottle of water included with evening meal is a lovely touch. We watched most of the evening entertainment and enjoyed it all.

I love the sunbed allocation system. In fact I love just about everything at this hotel. But, without a doubt, the main asset of the hotel is the staff. They are all unfailingly pleasant, cheerful, helpful and hardworking – I would love to name them all here and thank each one of them, but there isn’t room.

I could go on praising the hotel for ages but it has been said before so I will just refer you to all the previous good reviews.

I have never had such a relaxing holiday where I felt so well looked after. We look forward to returning again next year and cannot wait until we are sitting once more on the terrace watching the glorious sunset, with brandy sour in hand.

Room Tip: Paying extra for sea view is well worth it. The views across to the harbour are lovely.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Irene F, Guest Relations Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Firstly I thank-you for your wonderful compliments and comments.

I am delighted that you were happy with the refurbished rooms and that the pool depth of the outdoor pool is also to your liking.

I will pass on your comments to the chef and all the restaurant staff regarding the food.

The rest of the team of staff I will personally thank too as they are and always will what makes Alexander The Great Hotel - Great!

Once again thank-you for taking the time to review the hotel, looking forward to seeing you again in the future too.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,060)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was a little disappointed when we arrived as, having paid for a sea-view room, I had e-mailed requesting a high floor room with a view over Paphos harbour and was allocated a ground floor room with no view of Paphos harbour. Didn't make a fuss as we are not that type of people. Won't bother e-mailing in future! Our room (017) was perfectly adequate with a huge bed, smart TV with internet and a smallish balcony. Towels were changed as frequently as you wished.

The meals were excellent. We had taken advantage of the Thomson offer of upgrading to full board for 1p per person per night and the choice at both lunch and dinner was fantastic. We did have one hiccup at dinner one night. We went to get our deserts and while we were away from our table (3 minutes maximum) it had been cleared away and somebody else was sitting there!

We had an excellent meal in the Italian restaurant but the process for booking this was a bit hit-and-miss. We went to reception on the evening we arrived (Wednesday) and asked to book only to be told that it was full on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I asked for the following week and was told that booking for the following week could only be made from Saturday onwards. The following day we were walking past reception and overheard somebody obviously booking a place in the Italian restaurant so I waited until they had finished and then booked us in for Monday evening. Different people on reception have different information.

The sunbed allocation system seemed to work fantastically well. You see the pool attendant when you arrive. He tells you which beds are available. You pick ones you like, your room number is put on the parasol and it is your's for your stay. We tended to go out-and-about in the morning and use the sun beds in the afternoon.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the harbour along the path beside the sea. The path is not very well lit at night. There are lights along the path but quite alot of them are not on. It's even worse if you decide to venture the other way.

The hotel entertainment team work their little socks off! We found their shows great but the outside acts not so good with the exception of the Blues Brother tribute act. There is a limit to how long you can look at someone balancing glasses on their head!!

Some reviewers have commented on the price of the drinks. Personally, we didn't find them to be much higher than the majority of cafes around the harbour. We definitely reccommend the hotel's cafe latte. Our bar bill for 2 people for the week was just over 130 euros.

We will definitely return to the Alexander The Great as we believe that this hotel offers the best value for money in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Irene F, Guest Relations Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments and we are pleased that you enjoyed our excellent food. The sunbed allocation system has always been highly popular with our guests and I am glad that you too enjoyed it.

I will personally thank on your behalf our entertainment team and am glad that you enjoyed what they were doing.

Thank you also for the constructive comments which we have taken on board and also regarding the public footpath lights I shall inform the municipality that is responsible for this.

Looking forward to giving you a warm Alexander The Great welcome on your return.
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have just returned from an idilic week away with my husband and toddler daughter. The hotel is amazing. The pools are great, and my daughter particularly enjoyed the baby pool which was just the right size for her to potter and play in and gain confidence in the water. The sunbed allocation system is brilliant, meaning we didn't have to worry about getting up early and getting a spot. And it was nice to get to know your 'neighbours' for the week!
We went b&b so that we could walk to the harbour to the restaurants, which of an evening was a lovely walk. We did eat in the restaurant a couple of times and the food was lovely. The only issue I had was that the men had to wear long trousers. This seemed a bit excessive, given that the husband had smart shorts on and had to go and change. Swimming shorts I could understand, so I think this should be reviewed.
The staff are all very helpful and professional and the entertainment team very friendly.
Would definitely recommend this hotel for its location and luxury.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gemma P
Irene F, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Warm regards from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos, Cyprus.

Thank you very much for your kind comments as well as your constructive feedback regarding the smart casual dress code of the hotel.

I am pleased that you liked our sunbed allcoation system and that you found the hotel and its pool areas to your liking too.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our wonderful hotel.
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Top notch hotel very luxurious. Service excellent. Went middle of April weather was lovely but couldn't use the fab infinity pool they had - it was ice cold- don't know why it can't be heated in the cooler months for paying guests to enjoy ! hardly any guests used it the week we where there (apart from a couple of brave kids) and had to swim in the small indoor pool. Very disappointed. Also the spa treatments where very overpriced so was unable to use this facility as well, again disappointed. The beach at the front of the hotel was definitely NOT a sandy one so again was unable to utilise. It was a shame we could not take advantage of what was supposed to be included in the price.
In all was a great hotel but not a 'beach hotel holiday' so would not return for a second visit due to the issues above.

Room Tip: Think all rooms had sea view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Irene F, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Firstly warm regards from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos, Cyprus.

Thank-you for the comments regarding the luxuriousness of the hotel and also the excellent service that you received, It is much appreciated by all the team of management and staff at the hotel.

We have read and taken on board the comments you have made regarding the pool and spa treaments and these are issue thats are under review and being addressed.

Thanking you again for your comments with kind regards.
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Arrived back on Monday after two fantastic weeks travelling through Saga on an All Inclusive basis. Everything was first class (they even arranged for the sun to shine for us). Food superb, huge selection, including delicious fruits. Staff always cleaning inside and out,. Excellent entertainment team. Great to be served drinks, cocktails or coffee by waiters and waitresses who always had time to be pleasant and have a chat. In public areas we were always able to choose a comfortable seat for our nightcap etc. What struck us, although the hotel was full, we were never disturbed by noise or rowdiness. Well done Alexander the Great!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Warmest regards from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, Paphos, Cyprus.

I was delighted to read your review and will pass on your lovely positive comments to all the staff and management here. Especially the waiters,waitresses and the entertainment team that you have mentioned.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that I and all the staff will be welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Kettering
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had spent some time looking on trip advisor before booking our holiday to this hotel, we booked through jet2 holidays ( very good ). I was especially pleased when I read about the refurbishment, we were told 6 million euros had been spent on new pools, outside area and rooms. It was worth it, the rooms were great, very comfortable beds, great sea view and spotlessly clean.
We were half board but et out a couple of nights just to break the 10 days up, not that we needed to eat out the food was lovely, we had read about food being cold but we never found that, you don't expect it to burn your mouth when it's a buffet style arrangement. There were different themed nights but every night there was a huge Amon of choice, we eat in garibaldis one night fabulous !
But the thing that makes this hotel stand out re the staff, they are the happiest most helpful members of staff I have ever one across, nothing is too much trouble, they work hard but clearly they enjoy their work. We talked to some of them and they said they were treated very well, that shows in the way they are. The manager had a meet and greet hour with free cocktails for us, we saw him a few times after and h always asked how we were.
Great location too a 10 min stroll into the harbour area with lots of bars, restaurants and shops. There are a lot of older people stay very regularly but I would rather that than a load of young 18 to 30's group. The entertainment was good, not always to our taste but you have the choice to go out if you don't like it, many people enjoy it tho. We have decided to go back next year we loved it so
much, I have never done that before !
Nothing is 100% perfect and the sun beds do get moved at 6.00 am but when else can they be moved? Not a problem for us we just went bak to sleep.
The team work very hard to ensure a great holiday is had by all, they certainly succeeded in our opinion.

Room Tip: Sea views are great, the other side could be a bit noisy with cars going by.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Irene F, Guest Relations Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel for taking the time to submit your review and for choosing the our hotel for your recent stay.

We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were impressed with our facilities and service provided by our team members.

Dear Guest, once again thank you for you kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Alexander in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards
Irene Fetta'
Guest Relations Officer
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to get married here on the 31/5/13 as we had stayed at this beautiful hotel twice before. Our wedding planner Helen was truly amazing as we didn't have to worry about anything, it was all taken care of. We got to have our wedding just how we wanted it. Including George the hotel bar manager making us our very own purple cocktail, to match the colour of our bridesmaids dreses! The kids club "Little monsters" was just amazing. Our 7 year old daughter Antonia wanted to go every day and night! The two girls in there Stacey and Tasha made Antonia's holiday. She will really miss them. Thanks girls. The hotel entertainment team "Kanika all stars" were excellent. All day long there are activities for you to try out and are a lot of fun. I tried archery for the first time and although I wasn't that good, they made it enjoyable. In the evening the same girls and two fellas are back. Singing and dancing their socks off. They really do put on a great show that fits all age groups. I don't think we've ever seen people work so hard to please you. They deserve a pay rise! Lucy manages them really well. Well done guys and girls. All the staff in the hotel go the extra mile for you and are always smiling. Only one thing wrong with this hotel, which could be rectified, is the new hotel pool. It's a lovely pool but it's not child friendly. Were were told by the life guard Evey that children were not allowed to play with any balls or inflatables. When it was the old shape pool this wasn't a problem. We feel the hotel has moved up market and is now aimed at the older market around the pool. This is such a shame as kids want to jump in and play like all kids do when on holiday. We were all kids once and I think this should be looked at. Unfortunately due to this, we won't be staying here anymore and will stay at a hotel nearby. We love Cyprus that's why we chose to get married here. Please please change this silly rule of no balls or inflatables in your pool as we would love to return. Thanks for making our wedding so great. All our love the Gilling family x

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

Let us express our sincere thanks for your so detailed review about Alexander The Great Beach Hotel and also thank you for choosing out hotel for your special occasion such your wedding is.

Thank you for your special mention to members of our staff. This means that we have managed to exceed your expectations. Our staff have already been shared with all team members concerned and will motivate them to keep up the excellent work.

In regards to the swimming pool, is very important to note that the hotel provides the kids swimming pool, which was designed especially for our little kids. All kids have the chance to play each other there. Dear Guest, the customer care and safety of all our guests here is among our highest priorities and only for this reason is impossible to change this rule. Of course, your comments and observations are always acceptable and we really appreciate it for taking the time to express your opinion.

Dear Guest, thank you once again and we hope to see you again in our hotel.

Warm Regards