I have to admit that writing a review for the Athena Beach hotel makes me uncomfortable. I quite liked the hotel and I set myself to enjoy my holidays, which I did, but there were some aspects that I did not appreciate. I will try to be fair both to the hotel and the readers of this review.
Athena Beach is located along the Kato Paphos coast line. The location is great (if you do not mind the fact that the hotels are built next to one another), quiet and ideal to relax. You can walk to the nearby harbour following a coast path. We enjoyed a lot our evening walks, although we used the bus or a taxi to return! The "beachfront" hotel is, however, misleading. Yes, the hotel is in front of the see but do not expect a real "beach" where you will build your sand-castles: they have constructed two jetties (the floating one was our favourite) that allow easy access to the water avoiding the slippery stones. So, it's not suitable for young children or elderly persons.
We booked the holidays via a tour operator. We had checked the hotel's website and read that "All the rooms feature spacious balconies offering beautiful views of the Mediterranean or of the hotel’s tranquil gardens" so we did not bother when we saw "standard" room at our reservation sheet. We knew that the hotel offers suites and superior rooms and we did not give it a second thought. Well, we found out what "standard" room meant: a land view room facing the very busy Poseidonos Avenue and the very loud clubs and bars on the other side of the road!
The single, quite big five-floor building includes on the two upper floors a number of superior rooms. No issue so far. They can be more spacious, better equipped, more stylish, with better views, etc. But, here, the story is more complicated: the guests of those rooms have special treatments right next to you… they have breakfast/dinner (different menu obviously...) in a separate restaurant besides the immense, canteen-style main hotel restaurant. We have been in other hotels where separate restaurants existed but these hotels were indeed holiday villages where the superior rooms and facilities reserved to them were isolated in luxury villas. We do not think that the hotel construction allows for this type of services. They will have to reconsider this concept.
The breakfast-buffet was very rich and we appreciated a lot the variety of the food/fresh fruits. They could improve the offer on the drinks, juices and coffee. Dinner was less inviting, quite repetitive and with less choice. Few tables were offered for outdoors sitting which was a relief for us who wanted to escape from the main, noisy, busy, and cold room! The air-conditioning was working at full with the doors open to allow access to the outdoors tables.
The evening entertainment was either non-existing or not worth-mentioning. Do not bother. We liked, however, the Greek evening with tables around the pools, music and dance. Fortunately, there were a lot of options in the nearby venues. We had the "premium package", a sort of all –inclusive, that we strongly recommend if you plan to spend most of the time in the hotel. Try the massages in their SPA. it is a pitty that they have only limited offer in their excellent services.
The local personnel are fantastic, competent, helpful, committed and polite. We did not feel the same for the foreign employees. Obviously, they were exceptions in both cases. We think that the, otherwise very attentive, management should invest more in training young/foreign personnel to promote an image, a culture, an identity. We choose a destination looking for a local atmosphere after all.
Last but not least, Wi-Fi and safety deposit boxes should not be charged as extras in a 4* hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel is a four star, beachfront hotel in Kato Paphos within easy walking distance from the picturesque harbour, the archaeological sites, the shops and the nightlife. A bus stop is just outside the hotel and taxis are always available. Parking in the hotel car park is free for guests. The resort is situated 15 km away from the Paphos International Airport and 140 km from Larnaca International Airport. Also within short driving distance are two super golf courses. All the rooms feature spacious balconies offering beautiful views of the Mediterranean or of the hotel's tranquil gardens, as well as luxury bathrooms featuring bath tub, rain shower and flexible hose shower, Simmons(R) Luxury Beds and floor to ceiling windows. Room facilities include among others: air conditioning and heating, flat screen LCD satellite TV (26 inch in land view rooms and 32 inch in all other rooms) and radio, fridge, mini bar, hairdryer, scales, make-up/shaving mirror, ironing facilities, safety deposit box as well as tea and coffee making facilities. The leisure facilities of this hotel include 3 freshwater swimming and 2 paddling pools (one of each type heated), a waterslide, one heated indoor pool, indoor and outdoor Jacuzzis, floodlit tennis courts, a 24-rink indoor and outdoor Bowls Green facilities, mini golf and a children's playground with Kids Club. In the hotel's Elixir Spa, a total area of 800m2, there is a heated pool, 2 Couples Suites, 2 saunas, 2 steam baths, a fully equipped and spacious gym and a hairdressing salon. You can also choose from a good choice of professional massages and body therapies, aromatherapy and other treatments are also available to help relax and rejuvenate. Enjoy some fine dining at the hotel's restaurants or even a romantic candlelit dinner! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Bookcyprus.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Athena Beach
- Athena Beach Hotel Paphos
- Athena Beach Hotel Cyprus
- Athena Beach Paphos