Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel
Almyra Hotel(Paphos)
$295
$328
  • Pool
Capital Coast Resort & Spa(Paphos)(Great Value!)
$107
$119
$163
$135
Priceline
Corallia Beach Hotel Apartments(Paphos)(Great Value!)
$84
$160
$135
Travelocity
2,770 results
All reviewsnectar barzephyr restaurantleda restaurantsea viewatrium restaurantsuperior roompremium packageplenty of sunbedsgreek nightlovely hotela la carte restaurantslarge hotelbeach towelsbeach barbranded drinkshalf boardlong trousers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 13, 2007

The Athena Beach.... where do I start.

I'll start by telling you about me so you can gauge my opinion for yourself. I'm a part time travel writer and have a neutral outlook on accommodation and travel circumstances. I'm also passionate about food as a hobby so i hope i can give good advice on this too!

On to the hotel....

LOCATION - Its located about a 5 minute walk to the 'Triangle' where theres a good selection of bars and restaurants. Some good, some bad, and some down right expensive! When the Euro comes in they will all HAVE to lower their prices otherwise European visitors will go places that wont be such a rip off. The harbour is only 15 minutes away (as stated by brochures) at a brisk pace. A nice pace would be more like 30 minutes, although it isn't an unpleasant walk.

ARRIVAL - When you arrive at the hotel, you might be put off by the exterior. Dint worry too much as all hotels along this stretch don't appear to have taken any pride in the front appearance of the hotel.

THE LOBBY - The lobby area is well lit, spacious and provides plenty of seating with the small reception desk just to your left as you enter. The hotel lobby is all marble. Check in was relatively quick with our bags being taken to our room by the friendly porter. Reception staff are polite but can appear miserable.

THE ROOMS - The room was small but has most things you will need. Iron, ironing board, and hairdryer in the main room. Rooms are carpeted as are the halls making them very quiet at night. Decor wise, they are nothing groundbreaking but still comfortable. You have TV which you get a selection of channels in all different languages but English ones are mainly news channels. Rooms have a fridge in which although welcome, is very noisy in a silent room. The bathroom was slightly odd as there was 2 shower units, both working, installed in the bath. The rooms were reminiscent of a travel inn or travel lodge in the UK so although comfortable, nothing special. This advertises as a 4* hotel so I would have expected better in the rooms.

THE POOL - The pool area is very nice. Its bright, clean and pretty spacious. In October there was no problem getting sun beds either by the pool or on the nearby beach. sun beds are actually quality beds with a sponge mat and sturdy metal supports. Parasols were provided on all pairs of beds although we had masses of problems finding ones that would open. the pin you need to keep them up was either missing or didn't reach the hole. The pool is pretty cool and i didn't find any of the pools to be heated despite it being advertised. Later October warrants a heated pool but it was never found. Gardens are well kept, with the grass a little long but thats a small observation. The beach bar was there serving ice creams, toasties and all manner of drinks.

THE BEACH - the beach was man made and entrance to the sea for swimming was via a floating jetty. This drops you into a nice rock free are of sea. DON'T USE THE CONCRETE JETTY - It drops you in the middle of the rocky areas which will result in cut feet! Sand was more like grit really but this is expected for man made beaches. It was kept clean and tidy and provided some stunning sunsets.

TERRACE BAR - There is a terrace running all the way around the 1st floor /reception floor (the pool and beach are at basement level) which offers a place to sit and enjoy a drink with waiter service from early evening. There is also an adjoining bar where the drinks are served. The waiting staff are extremely slow at taking your order and subsequently getting your drinks to you. One evening we waited 20 minutes for our order to be taken and drinks to arrive. They actually never did as we cancelled the order after this time and went elsewhere. We never used this facility again.

BREAKFAST - Breakfast is of a buffet nature and gets massively busy at around 9am. For some odd reason a third of the breakfast room was not set up making getting a table very difficult. The food was OK but nothing special. Some of the cooking techniques left something to be desired! Deep fried bacon? Hotplate omelets? What was a real problem was that hardly anything was labelled so you didn't know what it was. This proved very difficult for the Vegetarian in our party. that aside the breakfast choice was plentiful and offered fruit, continental breakfasts and an attempt at English breakfasts.

LUNCH - Lunch was available at pool level under the terrace bar. This offered a selection of hot and cold food to eat in or take out. This was a lot better than breakfast and was reasonably priced. salads, hot dinners, toasties, freshly squeezed juices and lots more. Staff here were very miserable though. and offered nothing more than a grunt as you approached them.

SERVICE - Service is one of the main things that makes a hotel and is also one of the factors in which it gets a star rating. Service was in no way that of a genuine 4* hotel. When we reported a broken kettle it took a whole day for this to be replaced and even then we had to chase it up. We was left without power for 6 hours and again had to chase this to be fixed. Away from the problems we found the service to be pretty awful too with the staff just doing the bare minimum to keep their jobs. At a 4* i expect to get top notch service and this fell some way short.

CONCLUSION - This is an average hotel and has a lovely pool area and lobby. My main grip about this hotel is the price you pay to stag here. £1600 per couple in October s a lot of money for a substandard hotel, out of season. If i was paying this in mainland Greece, or Spain I would most certainly expect better although I would return to this hotel but not at the price its currently selling at.

I honestly believe reviews can be of some help but can also be misleading. the average rating of 4 out of 5 stars on this hotel review status, in my opinion, is misleading. I've tried to give you an unbiased review with more info than the normal 'this hotel was fab!'. I hope you found it informative.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
60  Thank Aeropars
Reviewed November 4, 2007

This is a great hotel if you are an easy going couple who like to relax and do your own thing. We booked a sea view room which was small but very clean comfortable. We stayed here 3 years ago in a inland view room which is darker and noisier so book a sea view room. Lovely big pool which is cool but not cold.
On the first night our fridge made noises like it was about to take off and kept us awake. Reported to reception in the morning and it was fixed by lunchtime. The staff here are very efficient not over friendly but certainly not unfriendly , but very efficient.
We are Veggie so breakfast choice was limited but breakfast was very good even when breakfast room was packed full. We stayed on B&B basis because Paphos is one of the bestresorts to eat out in.
Best 3 restaurants in Paphos
1) Almond Tree - Great for a special meal, waiter absolutely loves himself , very funny to watch him. Crab cakes best I have ever had.
2) Capricciosa - Italian Restaurant at the end of the main bar street. Very good penne and big fresh starters and good value.
3) Taste of India - Opposite the Hotel. Very distinctive dishes not at all heavy. Good service and very nice cheese naan bread.

Overall the Athena Beach is a very good hotel very clean and I would return again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
17  Thank mmm7levels
Reviewed October 24, 2007

We stayed at the Athena beach for two weeks from the 26th August 2007. It was fantastic.
I got married in the hotel grounds the following week. It was amazing.
Staff at the hotel were very helpful and the wedding co-ordinator from First Choice was Brilliant. They attended to our every need.
The wedding breakfast was excellent. We got upgraded to an Executive Suite for our wedding night.
The Hotel although big is well maintained, has three beautiful pools and there are more than enough sunbeds. It never seemed crowded.
The food was excellent.
The small downside is that you have to take a short taxi ride to get to the main bars, shopping areas and attractions but there is a waterpark and supermarket nearby.
Overall a fantastic holiday and wedding, I definately recommend it!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank Kitty166
Reviewed October 21, 2007

My Husband, my son (aged 9) and I stayed here recently. I read the reviews before I booked and before I went. It certainly was'nt a "family friendly" hotel as I was advised. As a Mother my first priority is my Son and on holiday I need to ensure he is entertained and happy because if he is that is when my holiday starts!! During our 7 day break there was no "animation team entertainment" as promised by our First Choice Rep. In fact, the so called "animation team" never approached any of the children at this Hotel, there was no "animation programme for the children" whatsover - and so we as a family were very let down. Their excuse is "its that time of year" - my answer to that was well what are you going to do next week when Half Term begins??? Also I was advised that the animation team were availble from May to October so they should have been catering for us and other families. As we were leaving I spoke to them again and they admitted they had failed us.

I wont slate the Hotel itself just that it needs some modernisation.

Apart from failing us as a family, Im sorry but I have one more complaint, I have never met such miserable, arrogant or rude people as some of the Cypriot waitresses in the Breakfast Room. They were so rude and on one occasion, one even frightened my young son by throwing the cutlery at us because we sat at a table she was dressing (we were in fact shown to this table by the Head Waiter).

This Hotel is for the older generation - certainly not for "families with younger children".

Out of 10 I would rate this Hotel 6. I paid alot of money to stay here through First Choice and yes I got my sea view I paid extra for but apart from that the Hotel room was okay.

I would'nt recommend it and I certainly would'nt ever return.

Stayed: October 2007
10  Thank bearlea
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Have just come back this week end from Paphos, we stayed at the Athena Beach. Its too far out from Paphos, It's in need of a major renovation becuase it just is just so out dates. The staff are not much help at the best of times, we booked a sea view room at an extra cost of £126 and the only water I could see was coming out of the bathroom tap. The management would not move me because my room was sea facing, I just couldnt see it. Our first thought on entering the room was it was very musty. The food was just not good enough for 4 star plus and that sums up the hotel, just not good enough for 4 star plus. To put it in simple terms, when it comes to the Athena Beach, Dont bother

Stayed: October 2007