“Nice place great food”

Ranked #20 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
Hawick, United Kingdom
“Nice place great food”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Don't get me wrong this is a good hotel and has excellent facilities but I would agree with a few of the other reviewers that it is a little short of a true 5 star. We stayed in a Kyma suite, which is over £400 per night and frankly although very nice it is not worth the money. Having said this the Ouzeri and Notios restaurants are first class and the food terrific as well as being good value. Despite the hotel being relatively quiet service is haphazard and sometimes very slow, particularly at the bars and during cocktail hour, it took us 25 mins to get a drink, and that was only because we went to the bar ourselves. The sea views and harbour location are great and access to kato paphos very easy along the sea front walkway. I would say this is a good 4 star but charging way too much.

Room Tip: Sea view essential unless you hate the sun. Garden rooms a no no.
2 Thank Kevin A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lincolnshire
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was our first visit to Cyprus and what an introduction we had! From our first greeting by the concierge, to the helpful introduction by the reception staff, we were made to feel most welcome and on every occasion after, recognised.
Our room was cool and the air-conditioning worked well. The room was well maintained and clean.There was a wide choice of food in the restaurant, which was changed each evening. There is a choice of three restaurants. All staff were friendly and ready to help in any way.
This may have been our first stay at the Almyra but it certainly won't be our last.

Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Almyra hotel is situated in the most perfect position, a short walk to the harbour and the town (Kato Paphos) It also boasts, comfortable rooms, friendly staff and great food spread between 3 restaurants. The exterior Spa & pool is great for adults to relax. Its Sister hotel, next door, is the Annabel - you can also eat here. No complaints whatever and we plan to return.

Room Tip: Room was very quiet, its great to have a sea view.
1 Thank nigel t
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Lovely staff, exceptionally poorly trained and let down by systemic management failings in every department. As a 4 star hotel charging 4 star prices - no complaints. As a pale imitation of a five star hotel charging five star prices it is just not good enough.

We complained after several incidents of bad service in the restaurants, reception and bars. The manager was charming and said all the right things. She offered us dinner on the last night as their guests. We were pleased. We had already pre-booked a babysitter before leaving the UK as advised and so said we would love to book at the Ouzeri restaurant on the seafront.

Our babysitter was booked for 8pm. At 8.20 we rang as the babysitter had not turned up. We were told it was some kind of error but they would try and sort something out. At 8.40 I went to reception and explained my unhappiness to the manager. Although we did finally get the babysitter we had booked it was something of an illustrative irony that even when they were trying to make up for their failings they failed. One would have thought the manager would have double checked the "difficult customer's" babysitter booking.

I have only ever complained in a hotel once before. It was a five star hotel. When I checked out on that occasion I was met by the manager who apologised again, asked if things had improved and whether he could hope to welcome us back again. At the Almyra, nothing.

Charming people, poorly trained is simply not good enough in a five star hotel. Clearly this chain knows how to do service given the standards at their sister hotel, the Anassa. Consequently I fail to see why they consider poor service to be acceptable. The only thing that was said before we departed was that it had been the babysitter's fault not the fault of the hotel, that no hotel is perfect and that they had done their best. They did refund the cost of the babysitter, but frankly it didn't touch the sides. We left feeling we had overpaid, less than relaxed and keen not to return. A real shame.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Tim G
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at Almyra Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Mr Grey,

As we discussed in person, I appreciate your feedback, it is valuable and important to us. We accept that regretfully we did not deliver a consistently high standard of service to you and your family during your stay, which we are very disappointed about.

Your feedback, was communnicated to the Management team, and your concerns have been and continue to be addressed and followed up to prevent our guest's feeling this way again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We spent the 1st week of September at Almyra and we had the best time ever! everything was perfect and we couldn’t have asked for more. Before leaving I read the negative reviews on Tripadvisor and I must confess I was a bit worried but our whole experience was flawless and I have recommend it already to at least 10 friends of ours since coming back. The hotel is minimalist and beautiful, rooms are comfortable, spacious and very clean (they change bed sheets every day, including our daughter's bed cot!) food is excellent (we are Italian and have high food standards), pool area is stunning, facilities for both adults and children are state of the art, location is extremely convenient just 20mins drive from the airport (but you can hardly see or hear any airplanes), 5 minutes’ walk from Paphos center and 1 minute walk from a nice sandy beach. My husband and I went with our 2.5 year old daughter and we can certainly say it was the most relaxing holiday we had since she was born (despite having holidayed in Italy, a country famous for being family and child friendly, several times before). We used the Baby Go Lightly service for a few items which we promptly found in our room upon arrival, we borrowed twice a buggy (new maclaren) for a couple of hours for which we were not even charged, our daughter is a bit of a fussy eater but there was plenty of healthy food choices at each of the 5 restaurants. We didnt use the creche nor the baby sitting service as we didnt feel the need, everywhere in the hotel is so safe, clean and child friendly that there was plenty for us to do as a family. We booked the trip as a package with British Airways and we got HB for the price of BB which we found extremely good value and would definitely recommend. We opted for the standard garden view room and it was absolutely fine (I remember reading complaints about the street noise, the poor aircon or the weak shower but none applied to our room, we slept beautifully and I particularly am a light sleeper). It is a family friendly hotel and as such there were plenty of families with plenty of kids and babies but I must say they were all very well behaved and there is so much space to wander around that not a single time we were annoyed/disturbed by kids tantrums or cries. Extras are a bit pricey compared to what you would find in local bars or restaurants but in absolute terms (and especially compared to Italy or the UK) are still good value. What made our holiday extra special was the staff: with no exception they were all genuinely caring, nice and friendly all the way from the cleaners to the managers. We'd like to thanks a few: Elena (Diana:-0) and Ciprian from the Mosaic restaurant, Eleni from the Notios restaurant, Magda from the bar in the lobby, Maria from reception, 3 weeks after our holiday our daughter is still asking for you all! We will definitely recommend it but would advise to avoid July/August if you can’t bear hot temperatures (it was 32 degrees in September, can easily reach 40 at the peak of the summer). Can’t wait to be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Beatrice M
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at Almyra Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us . It is very rewarding for us to know that you have left us with great memories of your time here. I have passed your comments on to our team which is also delighted. They all send their regards to your family, especially your daughter.

We appreciate you taking the time to write your review, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Please contact me directly on mod.almyra@thanoshotels.com if you would like assistance with your reservation, or just to let us know that you are returning, so we can personally welcome you especially the team members you mentioned.

London
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had a wedding in Cyprus and booked the Almyra as that was where most of the wedding party were staying.
Hotel was great. Food was great. Pool area was beautiful. And very child friendly.
The Kresh was beautiful and the girls seemed really lovely. Loved the sleep room...with the twikly stars...really beautiful!
The best thing about the Almyra was the staff though...they were so genuinley friendly and helpful...which is not the norm in Cyprus! The customer service was second to none and the staff could not do enough for you. Very accomodating! I was so pleasantly surprised
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to enjoy a friendly and relaxing stay in Paphos!

Room Tip: higher floors have less a/c unit noise
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at Almyra Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback, we are so happy that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Our priority is to ensure our guests receive a very warm, welcoming and genuine service throughout their stay, and always aim to impart the feeling that nothing is too much trouble for us. I am very glad you experienced this. I have passed your comments on to our team also who will be delighted.

We appreciate you taking the time to write your review, and sincerely hope to welcome you back soon!

Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked a spa treatment at the Almyra Hotel. The spa area is totally relaxing with a cluster of crystals on a central table. I was given a robe and slippers. Used the wonderful outdoor and indoor swimming pools. Bliss!. When I came back to the spa, I was taken to a relaxation room...where you could relax. My treatment was a reflexology with a caring therapist. This is one of the best treatments I have had in a long time. It is definitely worth it to stay at this hotel and to have a weeks spa programme. I was shown 2 of the sea view rooms.....with a cool white décor. I would rate the hotel 4 - 5 star. I liked the minimal design of the hotel. I went for lunch at the Notios restaurant. I had falafel in pita bread and dips. Lovely food. Felt really comfortable and looked out to the sea while I was eating. Great service. I would stay at this hotel...as it feels warm and friendly, where you could chill out on your own.

Room Tip: Book a spa treatment. Its worth it!.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo