“A great stay but service has slightly dropped in the restaurants”
Review of Almyra Hotel

Almyra Hotel
Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at the Almyra this year and on a whole it was another fantastic stay. The last time we stayed (March), the outdoor pools were too cold but this time the temp had increased and they were fantastic and clean.

We tended to staynear the family friendly area during the day which had plenty of shade, a canopy over the pool and some great sun beds. The annoying thing about the sun beds is that people reserve them early and because of this it is hard to secure a bed after 0900. There are labels around not reserving but no one upholds this.

We stayed in a Veranda sea view room, it was great with a fabulous sea view, ample space and very contemporary decor. The room is cleaned around 3 times per day and this ensures it stays spotless. The house cleansing was amazing and could not be faulted.

The food is great, I have read mixed comments on here. In essence they have a large variety of fresh food, hoummous, salad fish etc. If you are looking for a roast dinner this is the wrong place. If you are looking for fresh, local food this is ideal. The only slight criticism is the lunch is similar to the dinner for buffets. Breakfasts are excellent with an omelette station, fresh fruit, breads, full cooked etc.

Last time I stayed at the hotel I commented on how good the service was in the restaurants, this time as the hotel was busier this had dropped and also the staff were reluctant to offer tap water. Comments were given by three different waiters around advising not to drink it; three months ago it was fine and I felt this was to try and sell water. My family and friends all drank the tap water and it was fine; this needs to be addressed as it questions the trust with the staff. On a whole the staff were good but this small issue would make things better.

The drinks are expensive but they are premium brands and there is a good wine selection. One obvious omission was the entertainment at the Almyra, again in March there were singers, duets and pianists. This time there was an acoustic set outside but otherwise all entertainment was at the Anabelle. Again this just drives people to leave the hotel to find entertainment in other bars.

We also visited the Anassa hotel, the sister hotel which is their flagship hotel. It was a 40 minute drive but the journey was well worth it. The hotel was relaxing and was a great trip out. We would certainly recommend it and was also baby friendly.

On a whole a nice stay, great food and facilities, a few small tweaks around restaurant service and some entertainment would
of increased my review to 5 stars.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank flyboy1000
Write a ReviewReviews (2,343)

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Exceptional service throughout from reception through to cleaners. ( special mention to Maria, markos, Andrew, magda plus others) they can't do enough for you. Rooms good but only down point is inland view and 400 euros per week to upgrade to lovely sea view. However very rarely in room so not worth it in our case but vast difference in quality of room. Food lovely and restaurant on seafront very romantic. Lovely holiday with great staff who made our holiday

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Callaway3
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was the first time we have been brave enough to travel on a plane with our four boys - in fact it was the first time we had been on a plane since our honeymoon!
Couldn't of picked a better place to go. Stunning hotel, great interconnecting rooms and good food with the breakfast and evening buffet - and if your 6 year old wants something different they will sort it regardless of how ridiculous the request.
The pool is shallow and safe with a lovely shade over it to keep it cool. You can the sunbathe on the huge loungers whilst the kids swim in the pool.
Lunch was very expensive but the best food was served here - so you get what you pay for - but this did mount up over the week!
Service was the best we have had in a 5* hotel, room cleaned and a maid checked you were happy every evening.
Fantastic sunset, great staff, safe laid back environment for the kids. KFC and Pizza Hut 2 mins away - if you feel to poor to pay for the lunch.
Beach isn't great for small kids as a bit rocky/stoney - but several better sandy beaches a short bus journey away.
Met some lovely English people which was great, but mainly Russians were there when we went 16th June. Temp 32* which was just right for us.
Down side was the extras. It was our wedding anniversary whilst there and we wanted a bottle of champagne but the cheapest was 89euros! You had to pay to have the fridge emptied if you brought your own fridge fillers! Also, the ice creams were 3 - 4 euros each! So be prepared for the extras.
Still, had a great time and felt we had value for money (kind of) although a number of guest complained about the air con in their rooms - so worth checking as soon as you get there.
Had a fab spa massage as well.
Got a very good late deal through Sovereign.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

1-being reserved more than 10 rooms for me and my guests and doing the marriage party of my son with more than 60 guests,II expected better hospitality and flexibility from the staff.
I asked the staff to do check out a day earlier ( june 29 instead of june30)and refund me my payment for that day ( only 3 rooms) but they refused in non friendly way,I contacted the travel agent in cyprus who didnot help and said that minmum stay is 5 nights.i offered to pay penalty but they insisted that they already deducted the whole amount (2930$ for 3 rooms for 5 nights). I feel as I lost 600$ because of their unacceptable action.
They told me that I did reservation through booking and they have no responsibility which make me thinking not to reserve hotel from booking from now on .
2- rooms are very tight.
3- corridors and elevator smelly.
4-they want to charge me 15euro just to empty the small refrigerator in my room because of that I gave them cake to keep it in theit kitchen refrigerator and next day they told me its not there!!!
5-iam legible for 40 euro per room which means 120 euro to use it in spa,my son used spa and they asked him to pay 50 euro in cash,next day I showed them the voucher and they said try to use it with spa as we are not connected and do reservation by my self,we cannot refund you your 50 euro.
6- every time we go for dinner( my reservation half board) I found out that they added 80 euro for dinner,I have to correct this mistake more than once .
It seemed to me that once they used my credit card they never accept to refund me whenever i do any change in my plan.
for that reason ill never use booking .com again and do direct reservation with hotel.
You can check every word in this e mail with almyra hotel staff .

• Stayed: June 2013
Review collected in partnership with Bookcyprus.com
8  Thank Mansoumo
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is such a beautiful hotel. Perfect for families. The kids clubs were superb. The staff in the kids clubs were soooo amazing.The spa was AMAZING. the service fantastic. Highly highly recommend. The staff could not do enough. The views were fantastic. The fact that you can share restaurants and pools with neighbouring hotels were fantastic.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had a fantastic time and we were in fact returning customers which for us is extremely rare as we like something different every time however the Almyra was so good - staff v friendly, service excellent, food always good even at buffet, pool perfect for kids, kids club brill etc. Adult pool is an oasis of serenity if you need to get away from the kids for an hour or two whilst they are in kids club. They have basically got it right which is rare but very much appreciated. Thank you to all involved. Book the Kyma suite if you are able as they are awesome.

Room Tip: The Kyma suites are superb - well worth it if you can stretch your budget a little and find a good d...
Reviewed June 30, 2013

It's a wonderful hotel. Paphos isn't a hotbed of style and the Almyra really stands out. I'd stayed before so knew we'd have plenty of choice of places to eat (particularly recommend the mezze restaurant down by the sea, Ouzeri and Notios at night) and plenty of places to sun ourselves during the day (the 'adult pool' an oasis of calm but the family pool is fun too - even without kids!) The staff were unremittingly lovely and made an effort to remember us throughout the week - always helpful and asking how we were...and it didn't feel forced.
I had the impression that most of the guests were like us - on half board and had booked as part of a package. That COULD of ended up feeling a bit like a posh package tour but didn't...the Almyra is classy enough to stop it becoming full-fledged Butlins...and I'm sure they've had to adjust to the economic situation. It's a spacious and roomy hotel so you never feel crowded...though I do recommend having to stoop to snagging sunbeds early in the day (if you don't, everyone else will!)
My only complaint would be that as a Brit not accustomed to high heat, the air conditioning in the room wasn't up to scratch. We did ask for it to be checked but the tinkering didn't alter much - so I recommend asking for a fan in the room which made all the difference (though I suspect they don't have hundreds of fans to go around!)
All in all, we barely left the hotel apart from a speedboat trip to Coral Bay and a brief whizz on a jetski (thank you Pafos Watersports) and to be honest, we just didn't feel the need to. It had everything we needed and more. Life without buffet just isn't the same. I miss the Almyra already.

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying more for a sea view and the ground floor terraces are lovely for a late nigh...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chloerfowler
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at Almyra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Almyra. Thank you very much for kind your feedback which I have communicated to the team.

I would like to apologise about he temporary issue with the air conditioning. This has now been resolved and is working perfectly again.

I hope to welcome you back to Almyra soon,

Kind Regards