“Beautiful hotel with everything at your fingertips”
Review of Elysium Hotel

Elysium Hotel
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed August 10, 2010

After a really tough few months, I booked into the Elysium for a break on my own because I wanted a holiday where I could just relax and not speak to anyone if I didn't want to!!

The hotel really is magnificent, everything that you would expect from a 5* hotel. Helpful staff, lovely rooms, great facilities etc etc

I had a non sea-facing room and I looked out onto the tennis courts and gardens and up at the hills. My room was mostly very quiet but it is worth noting that the nights that there is live entertainment in the bar, the music is very loud and on a Saturday night goes on until about 12.30 am. I was a bit annoyed by this but it only happened one night (and it was a Saturday). Everything in the room was clean and in good repair with a lovely spicy complimentary body lotion that I really loved. The towels were amazing, big and white and extremely fluffy (though they seemed to be changed twice a day which I thought was a bit unnecessary).

The sea-facing rooms looked lovely though they face directly west (depends if you like the full sun beating onto your balcony in the afternoon) and onto the pool (which would probably be quite noisy). The extra money for me wasn't actually worth it.

The pool and gardens are very well maintained. By the end of the day the pool is pretty much like a warm bath but in the heat that is to be expected. There is a water slide for kids, a baby paddling pool but the main pool isn't deeper than about 170 cm. Plenty of sun loungers and luckily none of that reservation of reserving sun loungers, it's all very civilised.

The beach is fabulously maintained and is definitely the nicest beach on either side of the hotel. It has dark sand as well which was quite a novelty for me. I loved the little bay (that I think is man made) and the sea was wonderful and warm, I spent more time in the sea than the pool.

As I was eating alone I didn't go for the half-board option as it would be too expensive and not worth my while. It is €39 if you eat at the Mediterano buffet and it was completely wasted on me so I only did it once. I ate room service or on the terrace bar. I also had a wonderful meal in the Italian restaurant on my last night as a treat and the service was exceptional (they call you by name once they have your room number which I thought was a nice touch) and because I was on my own they couldn't do enough for me.

Pro's:
- Luxurious
- Wonderful staff
- Excellent facilities
- spacious well cared for rooms
- did I mention the towels?!
- the calamari in the Mediterraneo (sp) was some of the best I'd ever eaten

Con's:
- It is expensive (but it's a 5* hotel so it's a bit like ordering fillet and then being surprised at the price...). A bottle of water from the bar is almost €4 and when it's 39 degrees and you're drinking 3 a day for 7 days, it adds up.
- I didn't really rate the spa that much and I thought that it was completely over the top in terms of price. Almost €100 for an hour long massage is heinously expensive for a very average massage. I also felt that the therapist was really pushing me to buy the products (which I know is standard at a spa but I didn't like the way in which it was done here). Unless you're extremely minted I wouldn't bother really.

All in all, I will definitely go back though probably out of season next time to avoid the high temperatures.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Billythedogg
There are newer reviews for Elysium Hotel

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed at the Elysium in May for 1 week, to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. Hotel was excellent, beautiful decor, rooms spacious and very clean. Hotel staff were very friendly and always there to help you. Food was excellent, good variety and qaulity. Please remeber dress code does apply, so go prepared. Pool area was fantastic, beautiful layout and never a hastle to get sun beds in the morning, beach a bit disappointing with black dirty, so called sand. The only down fall from the holiday was the cost of drinks and snacks through out the day, very expensive. Also be careful when they offer you drinks in restaurant with evening meal. My husband and I had some water and two sparkly drinks with our evening meal one night, which cost us around £35.00 When questioned about the cost I was quickly told "well it is a five star hotel". I would defenately go back to the Elysium again we both came home feeling very relaxed after our stay, however take a cardigan in May as it is chilly at nights.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolemitchell44
Reviewed August 2, 2010

This hotel id totally 5* in all respects of service and the hotel, food and facilities.

The location is also fantastic situated right next to the tombs of the kings which are 5 minutes away walking and only 10 minutes bus ride to the harbour. You can also get a taxi although this will cost 8 euros each way rather than 1 euro each way. Th bus stop is a 3minute walk away on the main roadright next to a row of cafes, shops and restaurants which serve as a great alternative to the expensive hotel food.

The harbour itself has many shops bars and restaurants which offer lots of variety again much cheaper than the hotel.

The only two moans about the hotel are that food and drinks are very expensive, it's much cheaper to go elsewhere unless you are all inclusive. cocktails cost roughly 10 euros. By the harbour many bars have offers and they cost roughly 5 euros. However drinks are generally more expensive in Cyprus, especially if you drink imported drinks.

The only other bad point came at the end of the holiday on check out. When we went to pay the room bill for drinks from the pool bar and ice creams etc. we found an extra charge on the bill. At the time my girlfriend wouldn't let me ask as we had a taxi to catch but on top of the bll was an added 'VAT' charge of 8%, and also there was another extra charge of 'VAT' 15%? I ahve no idea where this came from as all the menus said that all prces included taxes and service charges?

It was also dissapointing to find out that it was expensive to use the internet however i was able to survive the week without!!

Overall a great hotel but if you pay for a five star hotel expect five star prices within...

1  Thank MatChapman11
ExecEly, Manager at Elysium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Dear Tripavdisor Member MatChapman11

Thank you for taking some time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us and for your wonderful comments regarding your holiday here at the Elysium.

We always perceive guest comments as our most important tool in evaluating the level and quality of our services and facilities and they are therefore taking into serious consideration.

We would like to mention that VAT is included in all the rates of the hotel, including accommodation, restaurant and other charges. VAT rate may indeed vary from 8% to 15% according to the type of charges. What you have most probably noticed in your invoice is not an extra charge, but the VAT breakdown, which of course the hotel has to contribute.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Elysium in the near future,

The Hotel Management

Reviewed July 27, 2010

The Elysium reminds me of the hotels in the Far East. From the minute you arrive you are welcomed with happy staff who are always there to help but never intrusive. We opted for basic non sea view room which was just fine. The bed one of the most comfortable ive slept in. Bathroom with robes, slippers and basic toiletries.
The pool area and grass area with sunbeds is kept clean and served well by the attendants finding you beds, umbrellas etc which are always plentiful.Great to get new towels for sunbeds each day from health spa.
Restauarants are expensive but to be expected in a 5* resort. The food is excellent standard. If you want cheaper options there are plenty of bars, restauarants 5 minutes up the road to the main Kings Road.
I was told by a member of satff that because they are treated so well by the management it makes for a happy workforce and i could see that with all the satff i met there. Was a refreshing change to see happy contented staff.
My one gripe with the hotel is the cost of wifi.... this is a 5*hotel... it should be free/inclusive.

1  Thank jules_holidays
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We've stayed at the Elysium seven times now and it never fails to dissapoint. The ambience is relaxing, the staff are always attentive and friendly. There are a wide choice of quality restaurants within the hotel but Paphos harbour is only a few minutes in a taxi. In the seven years we've been staying at the hotel we've never had a problem and have never been dissapointed. We are returning later in the year and can't wait!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank DMillsYork
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The Elysium is a fantastic Hotel, the whole 10 day experience of the hotel was first class......although very expensive, this is to be expected of a 5 star Hotel.

The rooms are a little outdated for 5 star and no wireless internet is a big let down for a 5 star hotel, We booked a side-sea view and were upgraded to a sea view on arrival, which was a nice touch.

The Buffet nights in my opinion are far too expensive and the food was cold on the Cypriot buffet night. if you are not staying all inclusive like us, I would not recommend eating in the Hotel that often.

However all staff were exceptional, very friendly and cannot do enough for you. My only final gripe is a big one.

3 days after arriving home I found my back account had been debited by £15 by the Hotel, with no explanation. This is after all bills and invoices were checked and paid on check out. I found this unacceptable and hasleft a sour taste of my experience of the Elysium. What the £15 pounds is for I do not know and I don't know how it is possible for them to take it when all bills and invoices were settled before I left.
Such a shame as that £15 may well cost them future csutom from us.
Richard & Jemma Smith

1  Thank rich45EastYorkshire
ExecEly, Manager at Elysium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2010

Dear Tripavdisor Member rich45EastYorkshire

Thank you for taking some time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us and greetings from Paphos.

We appreciate immensely your comments regarding the quality of services and our staff here at the Elysium.

Rest assured that all your comments, both negative and positive are thoroughly taken into consideration since guest feedback is our most important tool in evaluating the level and quality of our services and facilities.

Regarding the charge processed after your departure, we would like to inform you that we have mailed after your check out on July 21st, all respective documentation for your perusal at the address given upon arrival. In the event that you have not received it to date, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will mail you once again the respective details.

We sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back to the Elysium in the near future,

The Hotel Management

Reviewed July 23, 2010

Me and my husband arrived at The Elysium on 7th July 2010 for a 2 week stay, we were getting married on the 15th July. We have stayed at this hotel before so we knew how amazing and friendly it was. We cannot fault ANYTHING at all, the staff, the rooms, the food were all out of this world. Mirela our wedding co-ordinator is absoluty amazing, anything you want she will do, and we also had another wedding co-ordinator through Olympic weddings, her name was Alison and she was superb!! Both lovely lovely ladies! We had no worry, no stress before the wedding at all, we were soooo relaxed. The actual wedding day was simply the best! We wouldn't of changed anything, everything was excellent! We couldn't of wished for a better day. Anybody thinking of getting married here......DO IT!!!!!! We are definately returning here as the people and the hotel is very very special to us. We had 45 guests at our wedding and every single person was astounded when they saw the hotel and they said it has been the best wedding they have ever been to and they want to go back to it! Staff treat you really really special and do everything to make your stay the best. On the wedding night there were rose petals in the bath, roses on the bed, candles it was lovely. Ohhhh and the room service the next morning was fantastic! Champagne 4 course breakfast was out of this world. We are absolutly gutted to be back now, but we will never ever forget this special holiday and our fantastic wedding day. We love this hotel! We miss all the staff that we made friends with. Bring on next year!! If anybody has any questions just message me :-)

1  Thank Gaz-Kayla