“The Hotel experience was fantastic.....until I got home”
Review of Elysium Hotel

Elysium Hotel
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The Elysium is a fantastic Hotel, the whole 10 day experience of the hotel was first class......although very expensive, this is to be expected of a 5 star Hotel.

The rooms are a little outdated for 5 star and no wireless internet is a big let down for a 5 star hotel, We booked a side-sea view and were upgraded to a sea view on arrival, which was a nice touch.

The Buffet nights in my opinion are far too expensive and the food was cold on the Cypriot buffet night. if you are not staying all inclusive like us, I would not recommend eating in the Hotel that often.

However all staff were exceptional, very friendly and cannot do enough for you. My only final gripe is a big one.

3 days after arriving home I found my back account had been debited by £15 by the Hotel, with no explanation. This is after all bills and invoices were checked and paid on check out. I found this unacceptable and hasleft a sour taste of my experience of the Elysium. What the £15 pounds is for I do not know and I don't know how it is possible for them to take it when all bills and invoices were settled before I left.
Such a shame as that £15 may well cost them future csutom from us.
Richard & Jemma Smith

1  Thank rich45EastYorkshire
ExecEly, Manager at Elysium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2010

Dear Tripavdisor Member rich45EastYorkshire

Thank you for taking some time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us and greetings from Paphos.

We appreciate immensely your comments regarding the quality of services and our staff here at the Elysium.

Rest assured that all your comments, both negative and positive are thoroughly taken into consideration since guest feedback is our most important tool in evaluating the level and quality of our services and facilities.

Regarding the charge processed after your departure, we would like to inform you that we have mailed after your check out on July 21st, all respective documentation for your perusal at the address given upon arrival. In the event that you have not received it to date, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will mail you once again the respective details.

We sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back to the Elysium in the near future,

The Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (3,457)

Reviewed July 23, 2010

Me and my husband arrived at The Elysium on 7th July 2010 for a 2 week stay, we were getting married on the 15th July. We have stayed at this hotel before so we knew how amazing and friendly it was. We cannot fault ANYTHING at all, the staff, the rooms, the food were all out of this world. Mirela our wedding co-ordinator is absoluty amazing, anything you want she will do, and we also had another wedding co-ordinator through Olympic weddings, her name was Alison and she was superb!! Both lovely lovely ladies! We had no worry, no stress before the wedding at all, we were soooo relaxed. The actual wedding day was simply the best! We wouldn't of changed anything, everything was excellent! We couldn't of wished for a better day. Anybody thinking of getting married here......DO IT!!!!!! We are definately returning here as the people and the hotel is very very special to us. We had 45 guests at our wedding and every single person was astounded when they saw the hotel and they said it has been the best wedding they have ever been to and they want to go back to it! Staff treat you really really special and do everything to make your stay the best. On the wedding night there were rose petals in the bath, roses on the bed, candles it was lovely. Ohhhh and the room service the next morning was fantastic! Champagne 4 course breakfast was out of this world. We are absolutly gutted to be back now, but we will never ever forget this special holiday and our fantastic wedding day. We love this hotel! We miss all the staff that we made friends with. Bring on next year!! If anybody has any questions just message me :-)

1  Thank Gaz-Kayla
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The Elysium is impressive as you cross the drawbridge entrance and welcoming as the staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. The rooms are immaculate, clean and well serviced - though you have to pay more if you want to avoid a dreary inland view. Food is great in quality and variety and the service in the restaurants is excellent. We ate in the Lemonia for several international buffets plus all our breakfasts, which set us up for the day - especially the omelette chef's banter and singing. Our favourite restaurant was the Epicurian which was out on the terrace by the pools and gives you a great view of the sunset over the sea through the palm trees. As we were on half board we didn't try the world famous Bacco Restaurant as it invited you to try it at an extra unspecified cost - and my father said if you've got to ask then you probably can't afford it! The cheapest red wine is St. Fatios at 21Euros - but it is excellent. The grounds are immaculate and the pools lovely to swim in though a little shallow and thus not as cooling as you'd hope in the hot sun. It was hot and we needed to drink a lot which brings me to my one and only gripe - I know its a 5 star hotel and you accept you pay silly prices for cocktails and wines/champagne etc, but during the day round the pool I'm happy with water or long cold soft drinks and these seemed over the top pricy eg, bottle of water nearly 5Euros, can of coke(poured into a glass) nearly 4Euros. Useful note its only 200yds up the road to the Kings Road Cafe/Bar -local beer 1.80Euros per pint . A nice excursion is along the coast path to Paphos Harbour where you can shop, visit the castle, have a drink and go on one of the many boat trips - I especially liked the self drive speedboats really fast to the terror of my partner. If there you must go on a jeep safari into the Akamas peninsula - very rough roads, walk the gorge, see the baby turtles at Lara Bay, have a swim our guide Janis was brilliant. A great holiday in a super hotel. Peter and Louise July 2010

1  Thank lexusman10
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Having travelled here in June, we agreed that this was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. From the welcome you receive to the second you leave, everything is delivered with the most impeccable service. I simply can't believe there can be any better hotels in Paphos.

The food is fantastic and yes, you might pay a bit more than other local restaurants, but you expect to do so at a 5* hotel. My only issue would be the local wine, which is 6 euro at the supermarket but 22 euro at the hotel. Breakfast is amazing - a selection of anything you could want. The staff are attentive and remember you and were fantastic with our son (even giving him a special bowl of fruit one day). Whatever time of the day, the staff are always polite and helpful.

Room service was superb when we needed our son to go to bed early - everything is friendly without being intrusive. When we ordered a drink at the pool bar, they delivered it to our sunbeds - fantastic. They bring the umbrellas to your beds if there are none there in the morning and basically are available if you need any assistance in the day.

The hotel recommended some restaurants if you want to go outside of the hotel - grazia at the harbour is superb and deserves a mention for good wine and brilliant italian food (the homemade childrens burger gets a special mention). Georges tavern - also great for traditional food and a good fun night out. The food is amazing value for money. The restaurants around the corner from the hotel are ok. Duomo and Metaxas are fine for a night out and the service is also great.

The spa was amazing and yes, it's not cheap but it's individual choice if you want to have a treatment. I had a holistic body treatment and my partner had a back, neck and shoulder massage and we both agreed they were excellent. The daily hotel offers are worth looking at. The daily info sheet is delivered every evening with the turndown service and is a really nice touch. I had a my birthday at the hotel and they delivered a lovely cake.

To get to Paphos Harbour, you can take the main road (left out of the hotel) or along the coast road (direct from the hotel beach). The main road is far quicker but the coast walk is enjoyable and has a couple of snack bars along the way. It's a €7 taxi from the hotel to the harbour and about €8 back.

To sum up, I would say that the Elysium is a genuine 5* find and a fantastic place to stay. I can't believe that anyone would not enjoy this hotel. We are looking to rebook for the autumn.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank angiem76
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Wonderful hotel, would recommend it to anyone! The hotel was very clean, rooms cleaned very well each time. House keeping was friendly and fast.
Rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated. I loved the soft bed, but it was too soft for my husband and did hurt his back (but I loved it!). Nice and quiet outside, sleep never disturbed.
Never disturbed when the do not disturb sign was on :)
Room service was prompt and tasted great! The staff were so friendly!
Food was great. Always a lot to choose from for breakfast, service was fast and the cooks at the egg station were so nice. The food at the Italian restaurant was good. The dinner buffet was also good. I would not say that they weren't amazing value for money, but that is to be expected... restaurants in nice hotels are always a little more expensive than restaurants outside, but that being said, I did expect more hot selection on the dinner buffet for the price that was paid. But it makes sense that they must charge what they do because you never seen people so disgustingly wasteful as you do at a buffet, and fish is not a cheap item to have on it.
To all those that complained that the prices are too much, I say they clearly don't travel to hotels often, it is to be expected. I have never been to a hotel in my life where the prices of food and beverage are not jacked up. It's the way of the business.
Location, great. If anyone says that they must rent a car to go to the local historical sights, then they are lazy, elderly, overweight, or have some other kind of physical restriction that doesn't allow them to walk more than 15 minutes. If you take the road (not the beach board walk) you can get to the marina in about 15/20 mins, and then you are at the historical sight (the mosaics in the old homes). The museums in town are about a 2.5KM walk from the hotel. Yes it is mostly uphill, but that is not far at all, you get a lovely view of the town from up top and it is a super easy walk back. The hotel is about a 7 min walk away from the Tombs of the kings. For anything further away, then ya, rent a car or catch one of the many clearly labeled buses.
Spa service were great. again, I do not understand why people would complain about the prices since spa prices are high at good spas in most countries, and always at 5* hotels. The facilities were great, nice atmosphere, well maintained, and super friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaniceEm
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Upon our arrival we were greeted with a delightful cool lemon drink, whilst we waited for concierge to take our luggage to our room. We stayed in the deluxe bedroom with full sea view. The room was spotless clean, and well appointed. The cleaning staff were first class, and I hope the hotel appreciates this. Our towels and sheets were cleaned every day, and this was without asking for this to be done.
We stayed on half board basis, and could not fault the buffet style meals. The chefs did the hotel proud, by the end of a two week stay you would probably tire of the buffet, but there were plenty of other eateries to keep anyone contented. I simply would not understand why anyone could fault the food at this hotel. The staff do an amazing job considering the heat, to keep the guests from any food poisoning, however its a great shame to see some very ignorant people lifting food with their hands to have a sniff of it, how disgusting and I bet they would be the first to complain and blame the staff if they came down with anything.
The breakfast was amazing, and the only place I can compare it too is Sandals Resorts.
The evening entertainment is more suited to the over 60 age group which is a shame. As most of the guests were much younger, and would appreciate something a little more lively.
The pools were amazing, and the staff assisting with the sunbeds and parasols were so cheerful and helpful. The bar staff at the pool were lovely, and the dark haired pretty girl from Hungary is such a wee angel.
The only down side or issue I can make about this hotel is the cost of the drinks, it rates about the same as the famous Gleneagles in Scotland, which sees a great many famous celebrities, I don't think the Elysium see's the same amount and therefore in my own opinion if it reduced the cost of its drinks a little bit more, then I am certain the hotel would make more profits, having spoke to a few guests the majority felt the same on this one. I know if you book 5 star then you pay 5 star prices but just a little cheaper would see great benefit to the hotel.
One word of advice don't take the costal walk to paphos harbour, simply exit the hotel, turn left, walk to the top of the road and turn right. Walk down the main road until you see the big wheel, turn right and walk down to the bottom of that road and thats you in the town, don't eat at the harbour area where the castle is, as its crap and very expensive crap at that.
The little kids pool was lovely and had a shaded area, the little park could perhaps do with a couple of more additions. Perhaps a little slide.
I did not use the spa facility this time, my husband had a pedicure and rated it 8 out of 10 so I did not bother.
We will return to the Elysium for sure, it was our first family holiday together, our little girl is two and it most definitely won't be our last. Thanks guys for a great time. x

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank fraochdiana
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 2-3 times already and I always leave with the same impression: The fact that you feel part of a luxurious resort (which also has the theme of a 'castle') with excellent attention to detail.Every little piece of detail is catered for in the rooms. The hotel has a general feeling of luxury at everything it does, from the furniture which looks brand new, to the perfect cocktails at the bar, to the incredible gardens it maintains, to the 2 large swimming pools one of which is like a river with many little areas to swim around and explore. Most importantly, the food at all the cafes and restaurants is excellent and high quality.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple