“Deserves its 5*'s and more!!”
Review of Elysium Hotel

Elysium Hotel
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I have just returned from a very relaxing week at the Elysium with my boyfriend after visiting the island many times but never having sampled the delights of the hotel! As soon as you arrive you are sat down and given a welcome drink as well as having rose bud oil poured on your hands to relax you! As soon as you are ready a porter takes you to your room - we paid extra for the pool / sea view and made a request to the hotel prior to our arrival as to the exact location of the room. I was delighted to see that the room matched exactly what i had asked for. The room itself is very spacious although would say the bathroom is a little small for a 5* hotel. It is true that you are given Molton Brown products although we found that these were not replaced daily and therefore ended up asking the maid for extra. Towels were replaced twice daily and bedlinen every other day. I would definatly recommend paying the extra for the full sea view otherwise may end up facing the carpark or scrub land behind hotel.

Breakfast was probably the best i have ever had when compared to several other 5*'s i have stayed at on the island. The choice was amazing with food covering all tastes so i'm sure even the most fussy of eaters will not be left hungry! If the 6 variaties of fruit juice, eggs boiled for different lengths of time and fresh omelettes cooked for you by the chef whilst you wait is not to your liking ask for something else and it will be made for you - nothing is too much trouble!!

After collecting towels from the spa a pool butler will collect from you and ask a string of questions as to the exact location you wish to sit, arrange the towels on your sunbed for you, ask if you wish to face towards or away from the sun and then get drinks for you. If at any point you look to be struggling with moving a sun lounger, a beach butler will appear from no-where to assist! Pool butlers are also on hand to provide you with drinks throughout the day although these are very expensive. I would recommend the supermarket attached to Kefelos appartments just a 100m walk away. Soft drinks are charged at 2CYP and beer approx 2.85CYP whereas you can buy cans from the supermarket for 50cents! I agree with other reviews that the pool is more for show than swimming as very shallow throughout. The beach is very small although always seemed fairly quiet with a sheltered cove for you to swim in the sea.

We did not eat in the hotel as on B&B basis although there are 5 resturants to choose from each offering a different cuisine each night. I would say the resturants surrounding the hotel are all very 'touristy' so if you want to get away and sample the real Cypriot life i recommend Peyia Tavern in Peyia Village ( advisable to book as this is very popular especially if you want to sit outside.) Do not be put off from the rather tatty frontage as for £7pp for the Meze (all home made) it is definalty worth the visit. Alternatively head out to Seven St George where you will be served with an organic meze all home grown - you need to allow plenty of time as the food will just keep coming until you say stop!!

Back to the hotel - we did see several weddings but not the actual ceremony so this really isnt a problem. Although you may hear music from the wedding this never went on later than 11.30pm. The hotel doesnt really provide evening entertainement so after dinner the majority of people will either head out or sit on the terrace for an after dinner cocktail - about 6CYP.

Overall I would say that this is the best hotel i have ever stayed in with the management and staff truely believeing that the customer comes first! Even though this was my 15th visit to Paphos i would be wrong to say that it is a pretty place to visit! The elysium itself acts as a tranquil haven where you could literally walk in the door at the start of the week and never leave until it's time to go home. If you want more to your holiday, hire a car and take some trips out - a BBQ on the back of a boat from Latchi is a definite must do! We had dinner served to us on our balcony at sunset which is another recommendation. If you really want a bit of luxury hire your own personal cocktail butler for 20CYP an hour!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank lcvand
Write a ReviewReviews (3,490)

Reviewed July 29, 2006

We stayed at the Elysium for one week in July, a very relaxing break. I have read a few reviews, there should be something for everyone the hotel!

Firstly it is an expensive hotel to stay in and the fact the exchange rate isn't great, expect to pay five star prices! A hours body massage is approx £60 and a cocktail will cost approx £6 but nowhere in Cyprus is cheap! The service in the hotel was amazing and the staff well training in being friendly.

The only poor service I experienced was when hiring a bike, we made this request at reception. The lady at reception seemed a little surprised, not a requested often made? She made a phone call and I then waited nearly 2 hours, there was various going on's in this time. Once we received the bikes it turned out, they are owned by the hotel and kept down stairs??? I'm not too sure why I had to wait but, the man who brought then out had not been asked for them 2 hours prior? Lesson, make your request the day before possibly? There is a lovely ride from the hotel along the coast path to the harbour, you can stop for a drink on the beach too.

We ate in various restaurants but the one which was the best for us (no meat) was, Phuket. This is a Thai restaurant a 10 minute walk from the hotel towards the harbour. Eating out is slightly cheaper at the harbour and believe it or not, Bar Street is very pleasant during the day.

We don't have children but I noticed there was a kids club advertised, there is also a kids pool and a play area. However, with children's constant ice cream and drinks demands this hotel might not be the best financial decision you have ever made!

I had read reviews which had complained about weddings at the hotel, there were loads. We noticed groups of people in reception but this in no way effected our holiday, at no point heard a disco etc. We often came in late at night and there would not be a soul in the reception area.

I read a comment about the room over looking the karaoke bar, these are the cheaper rooms, one of which we had. Unless you sleep on your balcony, these bars will in no way effect your rest.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank DollyPond1
Reviewed July 26, 2006

I stayed here with a friend and my parents in a standard room for a week. Firstly we thought the location might be a problem, as it is thirty minutes from the harbour and the nightlife, however we soon discovered that not only were there regular bus services for only 80 cents but also that the walk back is well lit and pleasant especially in the early hours of the morning when it is quiet. Having walked back many times in the early hours we discovered that it is completely safe.

In reference to the hotel itself it was hard not to appreciate its incredible style and elegance and the cleanliness. Everything was always perfect and the only flaw may be the pool which despite looking stunning is very shallow and not very practical for anyone who wants to swim. Of course there is the indoor pool but that does not allow for a tan!!

The breakfast was lovely and there was a lot of variety so we never got bored of coming down and probably tried something new every day. On the subject of food and drink however the welcome drink does not live up to the hotel standards as it is cheap orange juice and rather puts you off! The staff were wonderful especially the receptionist who gave us a new room card at 5 am when ours would not work and still seemed happy to help!

Anyway in terms of location as long as you enjoy a calm walk for about 25 minutes i would say the hotel is ideally located away from the touristy harbour. As accommodation it is equisite and could not be better. The weather was lovely and the nightlife impressive although be prepared for some late nights- clubs do not open til 1am and stay open until 5am. Despite what people say the reps are not difficult to put off as long as you are not weak willed as if you are you will never get past the first bar! I would reccommend woodyz and bubbles and the gallery's foam party. For food i would definitely reccomend Chloe's chinese restaurant and one called Bacchus on the harbour. Ano Paphos does not live up to its reputation as was mainly full of English shops such as Morgan and Debenhams-not worth the day you have to put aside to go!

A hotel and a holiday that suits everyone!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
12  Thank kissmekatie
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My HB and me spent our honeymoon 21-30.06.2006 at the Elysium.
We reserved a room in the Royal wing which is a childrenfree area, with it's own swimming pool and were delighted with it (there are also some rooms with own mini-pool). Yes, i definitely wouldn't want to stay in one of the street-side rooms with all the noise - on the other hand, they're the cheaper of course. We were pampered the whole time : with cold drinks & towels, fruit plate, sweets every day - and it was sooo quiet, relax pure. Clean bedclothes every day, towels 2x a day.
Yes, we noticed that there are weddings almost every day (we saw the preparations only, no wedding itself) - but they didn't bother us the slightest. The ceremony was obviously short and silent (I've never realised any) and actually i felt a bit sorry for the participants because their wedding dinner was always quiet, in a rather smallish group (remembering my own happy and noisy 50 people crowd). It was only one night we heard some music, i don't know how long they played however (no punk or indie-pop . . .) - since I felt a sleep at 11 p.m, so it couldn't be that bad ... We've never seen or heard any hords of groupies or raving children during our stay. We had perfectly calm 10 days.
We tried the food only once outside the hotel and were not tempted to do so again since the food was much better in the Elysium. There was a different theme-buffet every evening (we had 3 times a cypriotic dinner during our stay) - with plenty of choice : even for me as a vegetarian ! We also had dinner in the Epicurean , which is the alacart restaurant and in the Cava, which is the fine dining restaurant within Elysium !
There is a large and nice spa-area, i had two Spa-treatments, the body treatment was really nice, the facial was o.k..
The beach was rather poor, a small artificial bay with dark sand.
The personal is polite but very reserved, this is not the warm friendliness of the Caribbean or Mauritius - but this has nothing to do with Elysium, that's the mentality of the people and it’s not to change.
Paphos is definitely very touristy, it's like one big collection of pubs and restaurants - so this is the reason I won't go back there so quickly. But I can imagine going back to Elysium, remembering my honeymoon after couple of years again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank lin23
A TripAdvisor Member
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Reviewed July 17, 2006

I have just returned from a weeks break at The Elysium Beach Resort, Paphos in Cyprus and I have to say that it is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. I have stayed in many five star hotels all over the world but have to congratulate the management and staff at the Elysium for the consistent high standard of service and friendliness. Nothing seemed too much trouble and the standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel, pool area and rooms was exceptional. The only slight bugbear was the Cava Restaurant which was good but not great value for money. I would suggest venturing out of the hotel and follow the signs for the Metaxas Restaurant which is on the next street. We ate there three times and their food, wine list and service was a joy. I would return to the Elysium tomorrow if I was given the chance.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Me and my husband stayed at the Elysium for only one week, but we throughly enjoyed the whole experience. The hotel is beautiful and the staff very friendly. I have read some other reviews and don't know where these people stayed, but we have no adverse things to report. The room was excellent, and even though some people did not like the fact that some weddings take place here I think its is lovely seeing these couples start their married life in such a beatiful setting.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to relax and have an enjoyable holiday. Yes its a bit expensive, but it is 5*.

Hope you have a good holiday if you are planningto go hee.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank 90ginger
A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I have just read a couple of rather mixed reviews and thought I should add my own thoughts on our wonderful holiday. We have never enjoyed a stay in a hotel as much as this one - even though there were a coupl of weddings it was wonderful to see couples starting their maried life in such a wonderful setting.

I would recommend this hotel to all kinds of people and you have to remember tht everyon is an individual and just because some people like to moan about everything others are more than happy with curtious staff, friendly guests and a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006