“Perfect days in Elysium”
Review of Elysium Hotel

Elysium Hotel
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My HB and me spent our honeymoon 21-30.06.2006 at the Elysium.
We reserved a room in the Royal wing which is a childrenfree area, with it's own swimming pool and were delighted with it (there are also some rooms with own mini-pool). Yes, i definitely wouldn't want to stay in one of the street-side rooms with all the noise - on the other hand, they're the cheaper of course. We were pampered the whole time : with cold drinks & towels, fruit plate, sweets every day - and it was sooo quiet, relax pure. Clean bedclothes every day, towels 2x a day.
Yes, we noticed that there are weddings almost every day (we saw the preparations only, no wedding itself) - but they didn't bother us the slightest. The ceremony was obviously short and silent (I've never realised any) and actually i felt a bit sorry for the participants because their wedding dinner was always quiet, in a rather smallish group (remembering my own happy and noisy 50 people crowd). It was only one night we heard some music, i don't know how long they played however (no punk or indie-pop . . .) - since I felt a sleep at 11 p.m, so it couldn't be that bad ... We've never seen or heard any hords of groupies or raving children during our stay. We had perfectly calm 10 days.
We tried the food only once outside the hotel and were not tempted to do so again since the food was much better in the Elysium. There was a different theme-buffet every evening (we had 3 times a cypriotic dinner during our stay) - with plenty of choice : even for me as a vegetarian ! We also had dinner in the Epicurean , which is the alacart restaurant and in the Cava, which is the fine dining restaurant within Elysium !
There is a large and nice spa-area, i had two Spa-treatments, the body treatment was really nice, the facial was o.k..
The beach was rather poor, a small artificial bay with dark sand.
The personal is polite but very reserved, this is not the warm friendliness of the Caribbean or Mauritius - but this has nothing to do with Elysium, that's the mentality of the people and it’s not to change.
Paphos is definitely very touristy, it's like one big collection of pubs and restaurants - so this is the reason I won't go back there so quickly. But I can imagine going back to Elysium, remembering my honeymoon after couple of years again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
9  Thank lin23
Write a ReviewReviews (3,521)

Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Reviewed July 17, 2006

I have just returned from a weeks break at The Elysium Beach Resort, Paphos in Cyprus and I have to say that it is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. I have stayed in many five star hotels all over the world but have to congratulate the management and staff at the Elysium for the consistent high standard of service and friendliness. Nothing seemed too much trouble and the standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel, pool area and rooms was exceptional. The only slight bugbear was the Cava Restaurant which was good but not great value for money. I would suggest venturing out of the hotel and follow the signs for the Metaxas Restaurant which is on the next street. We ate there three times and their food, wine list and service was a joy. I would return to the Elysium tomorrow if I was given the chance.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Me and my husband stayed at the Elysium for only one week, but we throughly enjoyed the whole experience. The hotel is beautiful and the staff very friendly. I have read some other reviews and don't know where these people stayed, but we have no adverse things to report. The room was excellent, and even though some people did not like the fact that some weddings take place here I think its is lovely seeing these couples start their married life in such a beatiful setting.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to relax and have an enjoyable holiday. Yes its a bit expensive, but it is 5*.

Hope you have a good holiday if you are planningto go hee.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank 90ginger
Birmingham
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I have just read a couple of rather mixed reviews and thought I should add my own thoughts on our wonderful holiday. We have never enjoyed a stay in a hotel as much as this one - even though there were a coupl of weddings it was wonderful to see couples starting their maried life in such a wonderful setting.

I would recommend this hotel to all kinds of people and you have to remember tht everyon is an individual and just because some people like to moan about everything others are more than happy with curtious staff, friendly guests and a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2006

My husband and I booked the Elysium for 10 nights as a 2nd wedding anniversary treat after having honeymooned in Cyprus at the Paphos Amathus Hotel (5*) 2yrs ago. In all honesty, we wish we had paid the extra and gone back to the other hotel! The Elysium is shown as a 5* Hotel sadly, with 2* staff. On arrival late at night, we were shown to an inland room which was nice, but we could hear the busy traffic noise and karaoke bar just along the road. The next morning, we met with Juliann on reservations who immediately upgraded us to a much quieter room with side seaview and could not have been more helpful. Unfortunately, in our haste to move rooms, my husband had left something behind in the old one. Numerous requests to the reception staff and a letter of complaint (never acknowledged) proved fruitless. He even spoke with the new occupants of our old room and house-keeping and eventually 5days later, we were re-united with our lost property. The receptionists appeared aloof and un-sympathetic in wanting to resolve our problem which was a pity, as the hotel itself is lovely. The pool area is split into various lagoons and although on a couple of days, it was busy with hyperactive children (Cypriot bank holiday) we enjoyed a peaceful and relaxing time. Most nights were spent eating out. We tried the Olympus (don't bother), Duomo & Martelli's (fantastic food and large servings with exceptional staff) and took the local bus to the other side of the harbour where there are plenty more to choose from. DON'T however eat at THE PREMA INDIAN restaurant near to the Elysium. Awful food and I had to leave without eating the main course which we cancelled due to the largest cockroach hanging off the curtains behind me!! You have been warned! Aside from a couple of grumbles, the Elysium provides clean, spacious rooms and a nice environment with friendly pool staff and excellent selection of food for breakfast but if we do ever return to Cyprus which has become extremely commercialised since our last visit, we'll be saving up for the PAPHOS AMATHUS instead which has the edge!

7  Thank BLUELAGOON1
Manchester, England
Reviewed June 29, 2006

For starts, this is a five star building with decent facilities of what one would expect, but the marketing of this hotel is from the same ilk as that used to turnaround Burberry from high-class fashion to everyday trash chav!!

This hotel processes rowdy weddings and unfortunately attracts a sub-one class clientele who I’m sure have no idea of what a 5 star hotel is about. This is the worst 5 star hotel I have had the misfortune to stay at.

The weddings themselves are reasonable attractive affairs, but the associated noise and the rambles of people they bring is ill-fitting for such a hotel. During the time I was there it seemed particularly popular with several hordes of groupies attending weddings. These people are simply unable to be alone and thus move around the hotel in noisy packs of 20 or more – try a relaxing sun-bathe – no chance, as you’ll be in the middle of people bartering wedding music over you; should it be indie pop or garage punk? They also think it acceptable to allow their off-spring to play football in the hotel reception, run-around shouting during dinner and giving them a pint at night – ok for teenagers maybe, but 7 year olds!!

And I’m sorry but the hotel staff need take more responsibility. A written dress code for dinner is all well and good, but what is the point? You can do anything you care in this place and the staff don’t bat an eyelid. In fact, you don’t even have to pay to stay here, as I noticed most of the wedding groupies stay next door in the apartment complex, and simply walk over and commence using the facilities as if they were paying the same as you – particularly poor when you can not even get a sun lounger!!

Try, a day out, or a few hours in the evening for a nice meal away from the chaos and there is nothing at all worth writing about. You may as well save your money, book a week at Blackpool and eat in whatever Irish themed bar, McDonalds or Chinese take-away they have. Want Cypriot food, try Marks and Spencer’s food hall in your local home town, as you’ll find none here!!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2006

No complaints whatsover with this hotel. You get exactly what you expect to get from a 5* hotel. If you want cheap, double measure drinks and karaoke/holiday camp entertainment, then don't pay for a luxurious, 5* resort.

A thoroughly pampered, relaxing week at an ideal location.

Couldn't fault it one bit.

9  Thank JackieB11