“Amazing, 5 star hotel”

Elysium Hotel
Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Belfast
Reviewed June 11, 2006

This was the best hotel I have ever stayed in in my life. My self and my Husband went for our wedding in may and we loved it. It is the most romantic hotel ever, the romms are gorgeous and the fppd is out of this world. You feel like you are walking around in a dream. The staff where really nice and the Spa was the best I have ever been to. Yes it was very expensive, however what else what you expect for a 5 star hotel. Cant wait to go back for our anniversary.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,485)

Tyne and Wear
Reviewed June 9, 2006

We have just returned from the Elysium after a two week stay. Within that time we got married at the hotel and held our Wedding Reception there too. We had an absolutely fantastic day and the staff who were in charge of our Wedding were absolutely exceptional and made sure everything went according to plan. We cannot thank them enough and would definitely recommend this hotel to others who are thinking of getting married abroad. The attention to detail was exceptional.

We stayed in the Royal Garden Villa with Private Pool and it was pure luxury. Our room was cleaned daily with fresh sheets and towels provided along with Molton Brown toiletries. Also every day we received two bottles of water with three miniature cakes free of charge.

The staff at the hotel are exceptionally nice. They would never let you pass them without saying hello and nothing was too much trouble for them.

I would recommend this hotel to couples and families alike. If you are thinking of getting married dont look anywhere else on the island this Hotel is definitely the place to have it.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 8, 2006

Stayed here for a week with my husband and son. Beautiful Hotel but we left feeling ripped off. SMALL BASIC ROOMS: Requested and paid for a family room which was basically a tiny double (not 5 star) with a camp bed. When we complained they were not interested. EXPENSIVE : There was a vacant single room next door to us with an adjoining door but they would only give this to us for an additional cost of £140 per night. We refused. Drinks were very expensive averaging at about £10 per drink and that was for an optic measure, not a generous poured measure. POOR ENTERTAINMENT: There was nothing by way of family entertainment and what there was, was of poor quality. LOCATION : The hotel is situated in a sort of shanty town with very dodgy cafe's & bars. VERY GOOD FOOD : We were half board and the food and the service in the terrace a la carte was magnificent. Breakfast also good. SNOOTY STAFF: The staff were arrogant and pretty much uninterested in any complaints. Would not go back nor recommend.

11  Thank jints
Reviewed June 3, 2006

We have just returned from a week trip to the Elysium with mixed feelings. We paid the extra to have a sea and pool room which was totally worth it as our room directly overlooked the beach from our top floor balcony. The room was excellent, the mini bar prices horrendous, (£2. for a can of pop etc) and the bathroom and products beautiful. Our biggest gripe of the the week was the constant screaming of the many children which were just left to run around by parents who didn't seem to care less. We particularly booked the hotel due to its lack of family/childrens facilities and by the end of the week I would gladly have chopped the water slide down. You don't expect kids screaming all day when you pay this sort of money to stay in a 5 star hotel and wherever you sat you couldn't really get away from it. However, the facilities for adults in the hotel are excellent, the spa is very luxurious but once again very overpriced, (£65 for a pedicure) but if you just want to chill out and relax then it is the perfect spot, just make sure you go during school term time! Can I also recommend that you do as much of your ironing as possible before you go as we had to walk to the other end of the hotel and up one floor to find a grotty ironing room as you aren't supplied with one in your room for some reason. Overall though, a good quality hotel with an excellent pool and beach area. Avoid the english bars in the vicinity, it's only £4 in a taxi to town or a 20 minute walk and far nicer.

18  Thank bmalone1
Nottingham
Reviewed May 29, 2006

This is a fantastic hotel for those who want to relax and do it it pure luxery.

We got married here 2 years ago and have since gone back, the staff are wonderful. They even carried my towels to the sun loungers! Very friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble.

The best thing about this hotel is that there are no or very few children. When you are paying this kind of money you dont expect to be terrorised by kids, and you are not.

I noticed one review was disapointed about childrens facilities, well to be honest it is not a childrens holiday destination. If you are expecting tacky entertainment nights and kids clubs do not go here!

The rooms are great, with a huge bed (altough they are two beds pushed together), mini bar, Aveda hair products, slippers and dressing gowns. We also had fresh fruit in our room every day.

I can not reccomend this place enough, yes its expensive but what do you expect when you go to a 5* hotel.

We saw Tina O'Brian (Sarah platt out of corrie) and Katie Harris (dont know her real name) at the hotel when we stayed two years ago. Not exactly rock and roll but if its good enough for them its good enough for me!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 24, 2006

Ok Firstly, Yes I agree with most of the reviews in respect of the look of the hotel and the general standard through out is Very good (Although starting to get a little rough around the edges)

Ihavejust returned from 2 weeks at the Elysium with my partner and two Young children and couldnt wait to leave. I was filled with excitement reading the reviews of the hotel but having a young family the hotle for me fails in some key areas making the holiday a terrible one.

Firstly Entertainment : There is none. Apart from a piano player in the lobby. I found myself looking around wondering how so many people seems content to pay such a sum to not be entertained. Due to the tacky and uninspiring strip (aparty from Fat Mamas which was a welcome escape) There a serious lack of atmsophere and It felt like a place you would go to die rather than enjoy yourself. I wasnt expecting much just a bit of local music or caboriet. I found myself walking around Preying something might happen. It didnt. I appriciate that some people like this (Over 65's which seemed to make up a large propartion of the guests)

Kids facilitys. As above None. The Kids club Is very good but wasnt open every day. The only joy came from the Water Slide which all the parents sat arounf thankful for somewhere to release there energy. Only for the water to stop every day like clockwork at 3.50. Disgraceful. you was then left for the remainder of the day with Crying children. Very Relaxing.

Food Main dinner hall was a OVERPRICED COLD BUFFETT. Again I looked around wondering have I gone mad (maybe, or , maybenot)

I cant fault the staff yet I have walked away with a bitter taste in my mouth. I will never stay in the hotel again and would strongly recommened families to seriously re think.

• Stayed: March 2006
10  Thank BoZz
Reviewed May 10, 2006

After a thoroughly awful cattle class flight from Gatwick where I was kicked in the back by a toddler for 4.5 hours, I would have been overjoyed to step off the coach to anywhere with a comfy bed but from the second we left the coach we knew we'd made a great choice of hotel.

Our hotel was one of the first few drop-off's and there was a a distinct "oooohing" from all the other passengers when the coach drove through the gates to the drawbridge and we were met by a Porter with a gold cage to take our luggage. I felt slightly under-dressed in my maternity jeans when we walked into the marbled reception area having also been told by the rep as we walked in that we'd made an excellent choice in our hotel as Andy Cole had stayed there only a few weeks before along with various other celebrities who chose this hotel when staying on the island!

So we were quietly (and rather jubiantly!) encouraged by this point. We were shown to our room which was one slight disappointment in that it had a view over a bit of desolate land that didn't look to be owned by anyone in particular but if we craned our necks round a bit we could see the sea. Having said this, we particularly didn't upgrade our room as we felt that we weren't going to be spending all that much time there so although slightly disappointed, it wasn't the end of the world. The room was nicely decorated and of an average size with Molton Brown products in the bathroom. Slight other moans about the room were that the TV only had English speaking news channels and the sound quality wasn't great (altho we weren't there to watch TV!) and also my biggest bug-bear (of most hotels, not just this one!) is that we had booked a double room so why do you always end up with twin beds and blooming blankets and sheets, grrrrr! Give me a double/kingsize bed with a duvet and I would have been your happiest customer! Anyway, again this wasn't the end of the world!

We spent every day (bar one as it rained!) by the pool with the most attentive staff ever. We even joked at one stage that the glasses/plates must have sensors on, as as soon as you had finished your food/beverage, a staff member would appear from no-where to dispose of it or offer you more! The pool was on the cold side as we understood it not to be heated from the beginning of May but it was just what was needed when the sun got that bit too hot.

We felt the lunch options may have been slightly lacking in quantity but being quite a fussy vegetarian that doesn't really help matters. The pool bar offered a couple of options, otherwise it was the Medittareano restaurant which always seemed quite busy but we got by and after the breakfast buffets (with the very friendly egg chef) you really didn't want a lot at lunchtime anyway.

Dinners were very varied buffets and each night was themed. Plenty of choice (again not always my kind of food but I am fussy!) but hubby enjoyed it and after the first couple of days we had eaten so much that it was a struggle to keep going anyway! Look out for the Cypriot night with the dancing which was fun to watch. Other themed nights included Seafood, Mexican, Italian and an Oriental night.

Try out the spa if you get the opportunity, I had a pre-natal massage and felt totally pampered!

The hotel location isn't the best but if you are like us and are just going to relax then it shouldn't matter, you hardly even see the outside once you're inside anyway. We ventured outside the gates on one occasion to find a plug adaptor (you will only need one for a single pin electric toothbrush which we found out afterwards they sold in the gift shop anyway!) and the tackiness of the touristy bits is a couple of mins walk from the hotel and doesn't infringe on the hotel in any shape or form. I believe the beach of the hotel is a new feature but we didn't encounter any works going on whilst we were there but it was a little bit too windy to be laying by the sea anyway.

I know some of my comments may seem whingy but I wouldn't want anyone to be put off visiting this hotel, yes it can be pricey but the service you receive in the surroundings of this hotel far outweigh this, so if you are thinking of visiting then just book it! We even overheard another guest saying that Bono (from U2) is a guest there and that this hotel features in the Top 10 hotels of the world (altho having done a search on the net I have yet to see evidence of this!).

Feel free to email me if you have any specific queries and if I can answer them from our experience then I will otherwise we can highly recommend the Elysium if you want to be truly spoilt and don't mind paying slightly more than average to experience that.

32  Thank VBeeney