“A wonderful experience”
Review of Ride in Cyprus Ltd

Ride in Cyprus Ltd
Ranked #10 of 50 Outdoor Activities in Paphos
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful wooden stables overlooking the Paphos forest with magnificent mountainous views to Pano Panayia where the Eurasian and African tectonic plates crashed together, lifting Cyprus up out of the sea. They rise majestically to the far horizon where Pano Panayia nestles on the hillside.Riding beautiful happy thoroughbreds across spectacular varied country - from forest tracks to deserted Turkish villages, mountains and valleys, wide open plains to deep gorges, sea views and places where the entire vista is forest and nothing man made can be seen! Six horses who live as a herd and are very loved, in turn look after their riders, young and old. Rides can be for one hour up to 7 days! Sunset brandy sour rides are very popular in the summer and longer treks in spring and autumn. All abilities are catered for. Groups are small and guided. We also partner horses for Leadership, Team Building and Personal Development Training (Horse Assisted Education) and Horse Healing for Soul Coaching.45 mins from Paphos airport. 1.5km from a traditional, quiet, country hotel.
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was a very friendly and most professional operation. We were able to ride at 7 in the morning before it got too hot and were the only riders apart from the "Ride in Cyprus" team. Everything was provided so we were properly kitted out and we were shown how to ride properly - not just sat on a horse. We only really ride like this on holidays and this experience was by far the best we have had anywhere. The horses (and the people) were eager to go and enjoyed the ride too, not just plodding behind each other. We would definately recommend it to anyone.

1 Thank Helen757
RideinCyprus, Owner at Ride in Cyprus Ltd, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
And good for you for getting up to enjoy the morning breeze and the new sun - really glad you enjoyed yourselves and appreciated the riding tips - always great to have riders who want to improve and get out to enjoy themselves! Thank you for posting your lovely review :-)

Warminster, United Kingdom
“Magnificent experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Riding on paths that would be impossible for the average 4x4 enables stunning views of the Akamas Peninsular and Troodos mountains that would otherwise be difficult to see. Caroline is a lovely lady - experienced, friendly and very knowledgeable about the fauna and flora of Cyprus as well as being able to simplify complex geographical formations (see the sea caves high up in the hills and learn how they got there). My whole experience (so good I came back the next day for another) was a very positive one, the horses are beautifully schooled and clearly love their job and their owner, the stables were immaculate and all the horses have lovely manners, the guides who work with Caroline were also very friendly and helpful. Although I am an experienced rider I hadn't been astride a horse for 20 years and despite 3 hip replacements and shockingly bad fitness levels the 2 hour trek left me with a sense of happiness and well-being hard to find in this age. Highly recommended for the novice and experienced rider.

Visited July 2013
Thank you for your fabulous review! You did incredibly well and didn't look like you ever went near one hip replacement, let alone three! You obviously hadn't forgotten anything from your well schooled past and it was a lovely pleasure having you along and even better when you came the second time. Very much looking forward to next time and thank you for coming riding with me!
Reading, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Simply wonderful”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have just spent a week in Cyprus and I decided to go to Ride in Cyprus for a ride. I loved my experience so much that I went riding with Ride In Cyprus several times during my stay. I just couldn't get enough of how wonderful Caroline's horses are, the beautiful scenery and stunning mountains, I found the views were truly breathtaking. Caroline has carefully planned all routes so that you really get a great taste for what hidden Cyprus has to offer. The horses are simply wonderful, it is obvious they are very happy and suitable for all abilities and Caroline was able to advise me every step of the way with my riding. I highly recommend Ride In Cyprus, I can safely say it is one of the best things that Cyprus has to offer, don't miss out!

Visited July 2013
Thank you for your helpful wonderful review! It was great to have you along and show you a variety of the routes we have enabling us to show you the different terrains in different directions! Maybe an overnight trek to the yurts next time? :-)
York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing sunset trek in the mountains!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I were on our honeymoon in Cyprus earlier this month and had been talking about riding for some time - it being something we were both interested in having a go at. I had been on a horse a few times as a child when I had some lessons, but hadn't been on a horse for many years and my husband had never even sat on a horse! Caroline is a lovely lady and relaxed guide and helped us both to feel at ease before we set off. We had 3 guides with us and another couple in the group. Two guides at the back and Caroline at the front all offering good advice when necessary. We both settled with the horses easily and all horses were very well behaved. It was a beautiful 2hr trek and stunning sunset, thoroughly enjoyed by us both. Thank you all so much for a wonderful time!

Visited July 2013
Thank you - it's great to have newly weds on board and makes it all worthwhile to see and feel the enjoyment of the experience - we a extremely lucky to have such a great team and thank you for your valued review :-) best wishes for your happiness together always :-)
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Please think twice!!!!!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I shall begin with saying if you are a beginner then please please do not go riding in a foreign country. We booked a session and had been speaking with the owner Caroline who confirmed that her horses were used to strangers and beginners and they were very calm and beautiful animals. However, me and my sister discovered differently. We set off on the ride with two student work experience students from England and the owners son( who I had requested that should walk with my sister as she was looking uncomfortable). It was the first time on horses and to be honest I really enjoyed the first hour after that our worst knightmare started. In the last 10 mins of the ride my sisters horse started riding ahead on its own accord. There should have been one person taking the lead and one behind from the riding school but instead they were too busy chatting together behind on their horses an they allowed my sisters horse to take the lead. I even turned to them and said why is my sisters horse doing that and they convinced me that it was fine and we could see the stables and my sisters horse was a leader and knew the way home. My sisters horse speeded up and started galloping and before I knew it infront of my eyes my sister was thrown off on to her back with a big thud and all I could hear was screams and shouting from her. As my horse passed her I wanted to get off and before I knew it my horse saw her horse go wild and threw me off. My sister is now in hospital still in Cyprus with 7 fractures and I have severe swelling and bruising- our holiday was ruined and my sister bed bound unable to return to uk with the rest of us.

Whilst these are horses that are animals and can be unpredictable- the whole point of having guides were to guide us and one to stay at the front and the other to stay at the back and not to discuss the latest movies out as the three of the guides were doing at the back. My sister was screaming and crying and she was taken to hospital by the owner Caroline. (Please don't get me started on the cyprus hospitals!!! we think NHS is bad! no way its 5 star in conparison- we then decided to go to private hospital) Caroline is a caring woman who also visited my hotel in paphos and brought me some medicine. But the only gripe I have that people are told that beginners are fine and these horses are fab and calm animals used to strangers and the fact that we have these guides with us. None of that is true!!!!!

My sister is able to return home with 7 fractured ribs on a stretcher and will be taken straight to hospital by ambulance from the runway. I have a black bottom and grazes and cuts all over and unable to walk, sit or lay on my back properly!

Please please think twice if you are beginners and want to go horse riding- maybe try it at home first.

19 Thank mcm80
RideinCyprus, Owner at Ride in Cyprus Ltd, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
This herd of horses is totally used to strangers and beginners and they are very calm and beautiful animals. We partner these horses for horse assisted education and personal development training and it is fascinating what comes up for people. When on a trek, some people canter in their first outing and love it, flowing freely with nature and with life and some people find it more difficult to do that, everything is an experience, there is no judgement.
Thank you for your observations, we have had a thorough debrief on the situation and have made relevant changes.
The horses are calm but not ‘plods’ – so if you press the buttons they will respond. As everyone is instructed in the yard before leaving, the horse will move away from your leg and in the direction his head is pointing. Practising putting both reins in one hand and holding the strap on the front of the saddle allows you to control the speed at the same time as making yourself secure by holding the strap. So at any point when you feel unsafe the reflex you are shown is to hold the strap and put your heels down and listen for further instruction. If you lean forward and squeeze (like a jockey does) the horse will understand you wish him to move forward. If you shout and scream and pull the reins hard while gripping with your heels, your horse will be confused and go backwards until you release the rein and the grip. We will run alongside a client until they seem to be able to trot and then, only if the client wishes, we agree to release them so they can feel they achieved the experience of riding ‘alone’.... but it is still really important to follow the instructions, because as soon as you put your heels down (taking the pressure (accelerator pedal) off the horse’s side) and sit up these horses will slow again.
I wish you both well. At the time, I had not realised that your sister had such a serious bone disorder that she had to have regular infusions. I really hope that she chooses to help to reverse her condition by big change and careful management of her nutrition and really hope that ‘The Deadly Harvest’ book we discussed when I visited, helps her understand how she can take charge of the condition herself and why she needs to.
The first hour of your hour ride was great fun and I hope one day you’ll be able to remember those views and smells and that wonderful feeling which you were loving. With very best wishes.