“First Stay at The Annabelle”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Annabelle

The Annabelle
Ranked #16 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“First Stay at The Annabelle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

We have been to Paphos quite a few times before, but have always stayed at the Pioneer Beach hotel further up the same road. We were told by friends that they had stayed at The Annabelle and that it was very nice so we thought we would try it. We were allocated a really nice room overlooking the pool and the sea, so were very pleased. The location was excellent as you were literally a very short walk from the front. The food was really good and the restaurant staff were most friendly and accommodating as were front of house. The maids who cleaned our room did a first class job, and each evening we had a turn down service with a flower and a poem which was nice. Gardens were beautiful and I imagine in the Summer would be lovely especially the swim up bar.
We had a meal in their sister hotel one evening which was an option, this was good, waiter service, but it was closing down a day or so later for the Winter, so it was quite quiet.
I preferred the beach at the Pioneer Beach hotel,as it is literally at the end of the gardens; but at this time of the year it didn't matter to us.
We had wine with our meal most evenings which was 10 euros, so that was ok, I know some people thought the wine was expensive, but you are in a hotel so that is about the norm.
The bar drinks weren't any more expensive than any other comparable hotel, although the Pioneer Beach used to have a happy hour which was good.
All in all I would return for a winter break, but if I went in the October time, I think I would prefer the Pioneer Beach for the beach location.

Room Tip: I would think any room overlooking the gardens or sea on a high floor would be good.
2 Thank Yvonnedate
George K, Manager at The Annabelle, responded to this review, April 8, 2015
I am delighted to inform you that since your stay with us in 2013, we have newly renovated our sea view rooms: the final phase in our property-wide upgrade. It’s a source of enormous pride for us to have been working with the same artisans since Annabelle’s inception: an inspirational team of local craftsmen based here in Cyprus, who custom-build all furniture to our bespoke designs. The new rooms respect Annabelle’s classical colonial style, yet infuse a fresh modernity with cool white walls, updated wooden furnishings and traditional shuttered doors.
On another note, we would love if you could join us for the 30th Anniversary of Annabelle this year. A full programme of events will take place in 2015 to mark 30 years of wonderful memories! #30yearsofmemories . Annabelle may be celebrating her 30th anniversary in 2015, but she is looking better than ever! We do hope you will visit us for our celebrations this year and that we will have the chance to welcome you back soon to

Annabelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

In response to Mr Petersfields review while I agree with some of his comments I was incensed by his comments that the elderly clientele were less discerning than himself, I would point out that the "Oldies" had been discerning enough to get themselves a very good deal with Mercury Holidays and were thoroughly enjoying their 3 weeks,,Perhaps when Mr Petersfield is of a similar age he will view things slightly differently.

1 Thank Alwin_11

Hayling Island, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had a 4 day break in Cyprus to get some winter warmth. We also like the idea of being spoilt in a 5 star environment for a few days, so, since Annabelle was classified as 5 star on the Book Cyprus web site, we decide to go for it. Our Easyjet flight and the luxury car transfer from the airport were superb.

When we arrived at the hotel we were told we were upgraded (from a Double Sea View) and taken right to the far end of the hotel to a suite - which was next to a building site !
We were not happy with the view or the noise or, indeed the long walk to the hotel facilities, so asked for a room back in the main body of the hotel and this was done immediately. The question I ask is why were we not given this room in the first place ? The hotel was only half full and nobody in their right mind would want the room provided. It was not a good start.

The food, especially in the evening, was not 5 star - at least as I understand 5 star to be. There was no omelette counter for breakfast although there was a reasonable choice of continental and cooked breakfasts. The lunch and dinners (all buffet) were hugely disappointing. There was a different "theme" every evening from English to Asian to Mediterranean etc but the fact is that apart from one or two buffet pots , the food was exactly the same night after night.

Now I know that most of the residents were elderly (time of year ?) and are perhaps not as discerning as most - but even the most reasonable of them admitted that the food was very boring when staying for 2 or 3 weeks. Well we noticed after 3 days !
On the plus side the grounds are beautiful and well kept; there are ample spaces to sunbathe on comfortable beds and plenty of "hideaways" in the gardens if you don't want to be close together by the pool.
The staff were all excellent and gave a 5 star service.. We felt that the reasonably tired state of the hotel (again not 5 star) was saved by the excellence of the staff i.e. those looking after the rooms,waiting staff and reception staff were all happy, loyal to the hotel and very helpful. No complaints here at all.
So all in all, if we had been expecting and paying for a 4 star hotel then I guess our expectations would have been met but we came away feeling we had paid a lot of money for a reasonable room and ok but boring food.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor overlooking the sea,preferably on the side furthest away from the to...
5 Thank johnpetersfield
Winsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

As a current guest at The Annabelle I must commend management for their fast response to reviews. Several issues which were raised recently on Trip Adviser - coffee pots at breakfast, tea/coffee making facilities in rooms, use of fridge, water at mealtimes, free use of the safe - these have all been addressed.
We booked a side seaview room, another time I would definitely book a seaview- they look amazing.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jasmine002

Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Annabelle Hotel is rated as a 5 star hotel. It is in a great
location, right on the western shore of Cyprus. I arrived at 10am to a
sleepy December morning at the hotel, for a one night conference stay.
The hotel looked about 40% full. Nonetheless, the front desk stated that I
could only get my room at 2pm - when proper check-in is provided. So for
4 hours I was forced to lug my trolley around with me, as well as
request that some food which needed refrigeration, be placed in a
fridge.

There is a smell to the hotel that I can't quite put my finger on. I
think they are trying to use some sort of spray but it smells like sweat
and sugar. It permeates the open spaces as well as the rooms. My room is
102 and every noise in the uncarpeted hallway gets echoed into my room.

The rooms and venue are clean. The room does not have blackout curtains
so light will get in. The towels are large and plush as well as a
bathrobe and slippers are available. No pay-per-view is available, just
about 15 TV stations - with plenty of news channels.

Room Tip: Find a room where the hallway is carpeted.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank hankn
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed with four friends last week in November and from check in to check out we were overwhelmed with the friendly staff...faby huge beds in lovely seaview rooms where the sun shone on the balcony all day..immaculately clean everywhere...the food was a huge choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner and was all delicious...great location and easy walk into town...we definately coming back next year for another relaxing holiday in the lovely Annabelle.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Balnabeen

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was my 1st time of staying in one hotel for 3 weeks and I couldn't have hoped for a better experience than I had at the Annabelle. My room was extremely comfortable and well cared for; the staff were friendly and always very helpful; the buffet meals provided a good range of choice and variety; the grounds and view were magnificent ; it was accessible to the promenade and local shops; there was an excellent bus service and ample parking on site for hire cars. I certainly will recommend the Annabelle to my friends and hope to return regularly.
Alison, Yorkshire Nov 2013

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and it was!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo