“Chips and Egg !”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2013

After handing our hire car back, my wife and I stopped off at the Aliceland restaurant. Purely by chance we selected the egg and chips from the menu. We had not read any reviews of the restaurant.

We both agreed that they were the best egg and chips we had ever experienced.

On complimenting Alice on both the quality of the chips and the eggs, she told us that the eggs has come from her own hens 2 hours earlier.

Forget the sea view, or the new buildings going up in the area, sit on the terrace and treat yourselves to a "Shirley Valentine Chips and Egg" meal you will never forget!

1  Thank gillanded

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Me and my partner just came back from Aliceland, where we stopped for drinks & food purely because it looked like it would have a nice view. We were greeted by friendly lady who I think was the owner. The interior of the restaurant was really dated, looked like it hasn't been touched since the 80s, the view was nice (but nothing spectacular like most people in here said), but I noticed one table next to us facing directly the sea was next to a pile of rubbish and beer crates.
The first look on the menu was a bit of a surprise as the menu was really limited and to my mind very overpriced (considering you're not in central Paphos, I thought almost 9eur for a small salad a bit too much). Also a big proportion of the meals were prepared from frozen ingredients (you can see it if you read the small print at the bottom of the menu) - well at least they are honest about it.
My partner had chicken salad, which came with no dressing at all, few pieces of chicken meat and I had one of the pizzas. Again, for almost 9eur for a small pizza, I would at least expect to see whole slice of ham on it (it came with just few streaks of what looked like ham) and more than just a couple of mushrooms. The only thing I enjoyed in this restaurant was the frappe, which was really mild and creamy.
When we came home and I checked the reviews on Tripadvisor, I was shocked by the high score!!! I am not sure if most people who posted these reviews ate their whole life in McDonalds or if their standards are really so low! I felt like the food we were served was not worth the money we spent on it! The owner was really nice, but you don't go to restaurant to chat with the owner, you go there for the food.

2  Thank Lucia R
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We visited Aliceland a couple of times for an afternoon break for tea and coffee.

Their cats (Cyprus is knee-deep in feral fats) are delightful, because the owner of Aliceland likes them.

Their view is superb - looking out to that stranded ship stuck on the rocks.

There's no better place in Paphos to enjoy a glass of wine while watching the sunset and stroking a cat!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We've been regular diners here for many years and we love the food, the fantastic south-west views (wonderful sunsets) and most of all the family that owns and runs Aliceland. Aliki, does most of the cooking, traditional Cypriot home cooking - Afelia, Stifado, Moussaka but also pastas, pizza, steaks, pork chops etc. and of course large Greek salad - but my wife loves the egg and chips - best in Cyprus and the eggs cannot be fresher - straight from Aliki's own chickens!! My personal favourite is the Sea Bass (Psipoura). Vasso, Aliki's daughter does most of the serving and she is not just a waitress but is multilingual and pleased to listen, talk and discuss the troubles of the world, your troubles or just about the weather and always with a smile. In summary, a place to go at least once if you're on holiday but time and again, as we do, living here in Cyprus. Enjoy. Doug and Elizabeth - Paphos

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My sister lives in Chloraka and suggested that we use Aliceland for our wedding reception. I contacted the owners daughter Vasso by email and she arranged everything for us.
When we arrivd on our wedding day she had set out a large table on the left hand side of the restaurant over looking the sea where there was a nice breeze. We had asked for an informal meal and Vasso was on hand serving drinks and had prepared a wonderful hot and cold buffet - meatballs, roast pork to die for, pork affelia, beef stefado, roast potatoes, the best home made chips in Cyprus, salads, bread, hors d'oeuvres and more. Champagne and wine flowing all afternoon.
We had a great day thanks Vasso (and family) and great value for money
Def try this restaurant if you like home made greek cuisine