“Traditional Cypriot meze”

Ranked #57 of 1,056 Restaurants in Nicosia
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Local family tavern, located at a picturesque neighbourhood in Egkomi, Nicosia, surving its customers (locals and foreigners) home made mezedes (tapas) for more than forty years, revealing the authenticity and taste of the local cuisine! We host Greek live music events ,every Friday and Saturday! We undertake any type of events at reasonable prices!
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

Traditional tavern, well known for Cypriot meze. I visited this restaurant several times in the past. They serve a variety of traditional Cypriot dishes. Garlic eggplants appetizer is really delicious. The quality of the food is very good. The last time I visited them was a little disappointing. They changed some dishes concerning meze. The quality of the food remains very good but the quantity is less comparing to the past. Traditional Cypriot meze is famous for the quantity of the food. Additionally, I would like to mention that traditional pourekia that they serve at the end along with other desserts should not be served cold. The staff is very friendly. It is a good place to taste Cypriot cuisine.

1  Thank Stageo

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Was recommended Plaka whilst staying in Nicosia, a delightful family run restaurant set in a quiet square. The staff were great - we chatted with the owner, his son and his brother - and the meze was even better and seemingly endless.

Couldn't recommend it more for for a very pleasant, and extremely reasonable, evening.

2  Thank mxsmith
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was staying at the Hilton Nicosia and I wanted some local food and did not want to go in to town.
I ventured looking for somewhere and found nothing, so I double backed through the small town and could not believe my eyes when I saw the word Tavern. I went round the corner and here it was in a lovely setting.
I was early so no one else around but sat outside.

I didnt have a clue what I was ordering BUT was starving as just had a banana all day.

Out came the meze......WOW!

Lovely fresh starters, full of flavour, cooked to perfection.
Then came the parade of meats...beautiful.

I had to stop after about the 6th pass as I could not eat anymore and I have one hell of an appetite.

After an hour I was was bought fruit and pastry....I ate one and the rest I took with me.

The staff are so lovely, genuine, helpful and honest....what a find I made!

I had a litre of water and a diet coke and the bill came to €23...amazing!

If you are in the area and you do not visit you are mad.

I had a look inside and it is massive, so good for all year.

1  Thank Cashbox
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Plaka is one of the most famous tavern in Nicosia . serves many different plates with good balance. The food us decent but nothing too exciting

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was told that this restaurant offers traditional Cyprus cuisines. I was really surprised at the number of items they served. Must have been around 30- 40 items (including deserts). I being a vegetarian managed to get around 5-6 items specially made for me. Should go there with an empty stomach to be able to enjoy all the items.