“Exceptional value, no frills business hotel”
Review of Ajax Hotel

Ajax Hotel
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Stayed for a week during February. Chose the hotel for three reasons: 1) reasonable room rates, 2) free wifi and 3) facilities. Despite reading many reviews about wifi not working well, it was fine both in room and lobby areas. Staff were great, we asked to change rooms three times, to get a double bed instead of twin and then to move to front of hotel where it is sunnier. Reception staff even rung us to ask if we were happy with final choice of room. The rooms are not plush, but basic and clean. Bathrooms could do with a re-fit (not modern), but fine/clean. Breakfast is great, the gym is good (used by locals) and the outdoor pool and surrounding area is nicely refurbished. Indoor pool is quite small (~15m). Lobby bar and restaurant staff were also friendly and helpful. I would recommend this for a business trip, but not for a holiday though as it's a 20mins from beach (which isn't a nice one either).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank robert_morrison1

Reviewed December 10, 2010

I would rate this hotel higher except for the Internet, which was poor to non-existant most of the time. It doesn't matter if its free if it doesn't work!!
The staff were very good and the rooms quite acceptable at this price range. But when the Internet didn't work of Saturday I was told that it woul dbe fixed the next day. It wasn't and on Sunday I was told that support staff didn't work on Sunday. That's not good enpough for Internet support, but it did work Monday. Then it stopped again on Tuesday. I left on Wednesday.
A good place if you do not need an Internet connection.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank T0mmyBahama
ajaxhotel, Public Relations Manager at Ajax Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Dear guest, thank you for visiting our hotel and providing your comments. I understand you had some issues with the internet signal. We examined your case and consulted expert technicians to solve this issue. Even though we don't usually have any problems, we will reinforce the signal to keep everyone happy! I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. I believe that you will enjoy surfing the web either in your room, lobby or bar areas!

Once again thank you for your comments.

Alkisti Nicolaou
on behalf of The Ajax Hotel Management Team

Reviewed October 16, 2010

My wife & I have just returned from a 3 weeks half-board stay at the Ajax. We spent a similar holiday there 2 years ago, and were so delighted with the service that for the first time in our lives we decided this year to repeat a holiday.

Before I attempt to critique the hotel, I must comment on the staff. I believe that it is the quality of the staff, rather than the star rating of any accomodation, which determines just how good a hotel is, and in this case, the Ajax has it in spades.

I'd like to start at reception, and in particular with Elena, who, incredibly, remembered us from 2 years back (despite not leaving her a tip!). There was nothing too much trouble for her to sort out. Then there were the maintenance engineers. We had a couple of minor electrical problems in our room, but these guys were there within 10 minutes to fix the problem.

The restaurant: 2 years ago I thought the food was good - this time it was even better! (I know, if you're typical English and you're looking for bangers and chips, this is not the hotel for you - better to go B&B because the breakfast menu offers plenty of fried, or scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages, as well as the local or continental choices. But if you want to savour local, well presented and prepared local food - this is the hotel for you.

The restaurant staff, whether waiters, or the indomitable but friendly maitre-de, are some of the most hospitable and efficient I have come across. Whether it be Marios, or Andreas, or Vassas, or George, they are the best you could ask for.

This hotel is clean, clean, clean. The bars, the terraces and the pool area are all proper 4 Star. The entertainment, twice weekly, is very good and of a good quality.

The Ajax is not your typical holiday hotel, it is a commercial/tourist hotel, and as such, you just don't get rowdy guests. Tourists come from Ireland, England, Scotland, Germany, France, Greece, Chechoslovakia, Egypt, Japan and Korea (All of these were there when we were), as well as locals from other areas of Cyprus.

I like this, because when I go on holiday, I want to meet people from somewhere else, not just from where I come from, That's what travel is all about, and the Ajax provides that opportunity.

This hotel is not for those who want to fall out of bed and roll on to the beach - the closest beach is 20 minutes walk away. This is a city hotel, situated just yards away from the Limassol city boundary. But the beauty about Limassol is that if you hire a car, it is the best base for touring the island.

If I had a complaint, there is only one, but for someone else, it would probably be a plus feature. It is this - the beds are a little too hard. They are probably the only thing about the hotel that is not 4 Star. Big deal? Perhaps, but the daily maid service more than compensates for it.

Would I go back for another visit - You Bet!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DavyDyMonD

Dear guest thank for taking time to write these wonderful comments for our hotel! I will definitely inform our staff, as it is always a pleasure to hear that the effort we put into our work is recognized by our guests! What gives the Ajax Hotel its unique character is that we mostly employ locals who can welcome guests the 'Cyprus way'; with a smile and a friendly service.

Once again thank you for recognizing our efforts!

Alkisti Nicolaou
On behalf of the Ajax Hotel Management Team

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Excellent Hotel very good value .We stayed bed/breakfeast -food and dining areas very clean ,staff very attentive.excellent variety of food full english or continental .
We stayed on fourth floor overlooking the pool and the room was certainly very acceptable. Air conditioning on 24/7.Lots of cubboard space and room of good size.
Hotel about 15 mins walk from beach and a car is really required .Car parking at hotel available.
If you are thinking of booking DO IT .You wont be disapointed .This was our second visit and we will definatly retuern as soon as possible.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank YorkieBoy2186
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 5 times (13 nights), and I find it very nice. Great pool area, fantastic breakfast and good location. 15 minute walk to the beach and 20 min walk to "main restaurant areas" in Limassol. The only bad thing is their Wi-Fi, as it only works in the lobby and bar area. They claim to have free Wi-Fi in every room, but trust, me the signal is so week that it is impossible to establish good contact with Internet or e-mail server in the room. I have complained every time, and they do NOTHING about it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I have stayed in the hotel for 2 nights with my husband.
We were traveling in Cyprus to attend a nieces christening.
The hotel is not close to the beach, or so close to the town center.
But, the concierge lady was verry friendly and polite, the restaurant
awaited us for breakfast and the room was nice, clean and cool.
During our stay we were served imidietly for any thing we have asked.
The only negative was that no one came to make our room the next day.
No changing the towels, no making the beds, no emptying the waste baskets,
no replenishing the bath products and the toilet paper.
I do not know if that was a mistake or real negligence.
Also, the bathroom has mold in places and tiles were detached from place.
Any way, we are satisfied with our stay because the room price was reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear guest, we would like to thank you for taking time to comment on your stay at Ajax Hotel. It is good to hear your good comments about our quality of service as we put a lot of effort into that and always look for improving. Referring to that, i would like to apologize on behalf of the Housekeeping Department for not preparing your room for one day during your stay. I suppose it was some kind of mistake. Generally we have very good comments about the friendliness and promptness of our staff to service our guests. Therefore, once again I would like to thank you for your kind comments and will definitely ensure such mistakes do not happen.

At your disposal,

Ajax Hotel Management & Staff

Reviewed September 6, 2010

Stayed for two nights to visit the Wine Festival, and family living in Limassol on a B & B basis.

The hotel was excellent, and very good value for money, but book through an agent not directly, to get the best deal!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple