“The Old Man on the block still has claws”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Limassol
Atlantica Bay Hotel
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Being the cautious type who never dreams of staying anywhere without first consulting trip advisor's last ten reviews, this holiday was a toss up between the Atlantica Golden Beach in Paphos and this hotel. But as I'd been to Paphos within the last year decided to see what Limassol had going for it. Limassol was described to me as a s+++hole by one work colleague in the week before I left for Cyprus but I think the comment is totally unfair on the area, which appears to be transforming itself into a smart tourist area. A far cry from the sort of place reported to me by my Mother in Law five years ago. The place will never be as nice as Paphos but this hotel will sure brighten up the flat spots you may have to put up with during the change.
Firstly this building's interior exudes old world class. When you examine the solid tasteful statues adorning the lower floors and the reassuringly expensive marble work throughout you soon realise that a hotel of this quality could not be built today without costing a ridiculous amount of money. And that if it was built at all, it would have to be done on the cheap and end up looking tacky. This hotel looks anything but. From the moment I walked in and marvelled at it, I thought "Am I really Staying here?" It's beautiful.
We stayed in room 419. A bog standard twin on the top (4th) floor, overlooking the pool. On arrival at around 2.30 am I was disappointed at not be offered something to eat, or discover a stray sarnie knocking about in my room. Especially as I was all inclusive. I had also heard that the hotel regularly offered deals on upgrades to the more superior rooms with Private Jacuzzis and Pools and was literally frothing at the wallet as I checked in ...only to be offered ....well nothing. Still it was late and God knows I am not Prince Charles, so went to bed still fantasising about thick slices of bread and ham.
Now there is some noise here from the building works across the street and it may have been a nuisance in previous months. But I can report that this work is clearly nearing completion (end of October) and the noise was not at all intrusive. The view over the sea was wonderful and made even better by the discovery of a supply of free tea and coffee hidden away in a cupboard, which I discovered that morning. This is replenished daily and the maids never skip a day either. It is always there. The room had a nice flat screen telly, air con, and an incredibly large bed. The wife actually looked as if she was laying about eight feet away from me, so that was another big plus. The bathroom is a bit dull for shaving but its a minor gripe especially as it looks so nice and the soap and various bottled goodies are supplied.
You don't even have to use your own towel for the beach or pool as these are supplied and replaced whenever you want fresh ones. Ok I really wanted to get to this bit so listen carefully. The food is absolutely wonderful here. The choice is incredible but the big thing that most people forget to mention is that the quality of it beggars belief. It is clear that everything is cooked by a professional. No matter what it is, the pork, the beef, the steak, you name it, it all tastes exactly spot on and I would easily say this is the best food I have ever had in or out of a hotel. We didn't try the complimentary one night ala carte restaurant either, as my wife pointed out, how could the food get any better? And she was right.
They have two pools and an outdoor jacuzzi. None of which are heated at this time of the year. I have heard a few grumbles about this, but to be fair, 80% of the worlds hotels rely on nothing more than the weather to heat their outdoor pools. This is actually a good thing for the punters believe it or not, as a heated pool in a place like Cyprus will rapidly propagate all sorts of nasties, no matter how clean it is. Water borne bacteria is far worse than air borne and something will surely give. And it will probably be a British Stomach!!
The staff here are the friendliest and most hard-working bunch I have ever met. They never stop and simply can't do enough for you. The Atlantica skimps on nothing. You are constantly offered more drinks and you don't have to go hunting for them. Mean as I am, I felt compelled at the end of my stay to give 10 euros to the pool bar guys, another 10 to the maids and another 10 to the beautiful young waitresses walking miles every night just to offer table service to the guests on the terraced area. It's a long tiring day for what are essentially young girls, little older than teenagers. But they always offer a genuine smile that will soon have the hardest heart melting. Why did I do this. Because I had to. The service was so good it would have seemed wrong not to give something back.
One thing I would have liked to see here would have been some sort of cypriot entertainment. I am sure they must have some great local singers here so why not use them instead of making us listen to Liason or the reps murder another perfectly good number night after night. Of course I understand the politics of it all. The hotel may be bowing to pressure from Thomson on this score, but I cannot fathom why they have to fly in another work-shy singer from the UK when we could have a real piece of Cyprus talent and for a lot less money. After all the Phaethon in Paphos get by on one old Cypriot guy on a keyboard several times a week, so why not here? The rep Charlotte is in all fairness a pretty good singer with a nice tonal range. She also has a touch of star quality about her and as long as she dosen't get too big for her boots, she'll get a break at some point. The entertainment which was apparently outside in recent times was always in the ballroom so the noise problems I read about here did not exist for me and besides, who wants to go to bed before 11.45 on a holiday anyway?
Management are also good. If you have a problem they will do their best to sort it. The reception desk staff were simply the best I have ever dealt with. I could not even find one of them that was off hand or rude. They all gave customers their very best attention at all times.
Minor grumbles.....the pillows. Yes I am scraping around now for some bad points but they have some sort of plastic in them and are quite lumpy and hard. Another massive irritation is signing for absolutely everything again and again. No matter what you want, a drink or a meal in the dining room you will be asked for your room number and have to sign a docket. For the first day it makes you feel special, after that it just becomes annoying. Again the Phaethon don't do this. You get your wrist band and you get what you want with no signing and no fuss. Management, please sort this out as I heard a lot of guests moaning about it. If you think it will stop your staff fiddling, think again. It is easy to get round this type of security and I will be more than happy to tell you how.
Ok and now to the scores. There really isn't much more I can say about this hotel. It is good, very good at what it does. By cunningly waiting for Thomson to offer the right price, I paid £473 each for me and the wife for seven days. So thats around seventy pounds a day each. Sound expensive? Think again. Some spirit mixers are six euros and cocktails are five. To eat that well would easily cost you around sixty to seventy euros a day alone and thats before you even think about drinks, accommodation or entertainment. Every week they have a special party. They kit out the ballroom with big circular tables and dress the place up to the nines. Never mind Limassol, this is more like the Riviera and you feel like an absolute star after munching through a starter of the finest prawns, mussells and everything else you can think of eating from half past six onwards. This night alone would easily cost even a modest drinker around a hundred quid back home.
Would I go back? Yes, in an instant.
Apart from a couple of niggles it is simply a great hotel offering tremendous value for money. Go there. You will never be short changed.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any upgrades going.
13  Thank Steve A
There are newer reviews for Atlantica Bay Hotel

Reviewed October 25, 2011

I read a number of reviews on the Atlantica Bay before booking and have read several since returning from a 14 night stay with my wife and friends earlier this month. Our view is that the Hotel is adequate but does not live up to its TTTT+ rating. It is clean, reasonably well decorated and the staff are all friendly but it is lacking that 'something extra'.
We found the brochure photographs need up-dating. Bedrooms overlooking the pool area also overlook a fairly busy road and construction sites (nearing completion) opposite. It's not all blue sky and sea!
There's a good selection of food to suit most tastes and it is generally well cooked but watery fruit juice at breakfast and frozen/tinned veg with dinner are unforgiveable. Don't oversleep because breakfast finishes promptly at 10.00am!
Gala evenings once a week are a nice idea - get's people who don't know each other together on tables for ten.
The outside pool, terrace and bar areas are pleasant but landscape and grassed areas require some TLC.
Location of the hotel (other than road and building work) is fine - once you've found the tunnel under the road you have access to a path which goes from the Marina to the East into Limassol to the West - 5km walk. If you prefer you can catch the bus outside the Hotel for 2euros.
If you enjoy daily activities Lisa and Charlotte are only too willing to 'sign you up'. They are great girls, enthusiastic, good personalities and both talented singers/entertainers. Together with Suzy and Lea they provide much of the evening entertainment and often do a much better job than the 'professional' guests.
The entertainment is held outside in the pool bar area - great unless you want an early night. Half of the bedrooms overlook this area and the entertainment doesn't finish until 11.45pm and it is too loud to get any 'shut eye'.
We enjoyed our holiday but I doubt that we would go back to this hotel although many guests return time after time. We expect more from our TTTT+ hotels and I must admit that I don't quite understand the 'Couples' branding.
My conclusion is "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

11  Thank Paul G
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Just returned from the Bay, already booked our next visit! The hotel after the refurbishment is now very modern and chic, also since going couples only in May no children at all. We stayed all inclusive which we feel is very good value, the food is plentiful and varied, so much to choose from, show cooking and local corner not to be missed. Remember to visit the a la carte restaurant as that is an experience you will enjoy. The staff at the Bay are very friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them and they do work very hard. If you feel like an energetic walk you can walk along the sea front on a block paved path all the way to Limassol, which is a beautiful walk, or you can take the bus as the buses stop just outside the hotel and are excellent value.

We had a very relaxing holiday and are returning in November! We feel the Bay is a great hotel with excellent staff in all departments, thank you for a lovely two weeks.

Room Tip: If you visit in the summer and want it quiet ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
3  Thank DollyD100
Reviewed October 24, 2011

builders workin opposite and behind hotel, starting at seven everyday, paving in local area either gravel track or none there . area around hotel underveloped, only couple of pubs, mini market and betting shop within walkin distance, not a problem if you're all inclusive, but if your half board can be to isolated. hotel it self is very nice, staff very attentive and good at their job food very good. my tip would be use local bus to limassol opposite hotel only 2€ ,return, visit local tourist office (very helpful) with timetable for local buses to pahos or larnaca 5€ return or nicosia 7€

Room Tip: building should be finished by next year so go then
10  Thank pamsteve091
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My wife and me have just returned from our stay.
Immediatly we were impressed by the cleaniliness of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff.
We booked a room with a sea view and this overlooked the pool area.
We found the food to be fair and the a la carte evening to be of a good standard.

I booked this holday to help celebrate my wife's 40th birthday and wanted something special. We were treated to a bottle of bubbly from the hotel on the day of her birthday and for this we were grateful.

We would love to return but as like many other reviewees before me one major factor WILL stop us and that is the volume of the poolside evening entertainment.
Like many others we too like to attend the evening entertainement, relaxing with a glass of wine but when your bed calls and you make your way to your room it is good to relax in peace and quiet. NOT here as the volume is so loud that even with the doors shut and ear plugs purchased and inserted it is STILL too loud.
I did ring reception to complain on the first night. I then made both my Thomson reps aware the following day asking all parties for my wife and me to be moved to a quiter room, I was told the hotel was fully booked and there was nothing that could be done.

In simple terms a couples holiday invoked an idea of peace and tranquility with an opportunity to enjoy a good standard of entertainment.
Now I know that the hotel does occasionally respond to these reviews and yes you do have so much right but let me just day no number of words will assist in regaining our custom unless actions on VOLUME are addressed first.

12  Thank JimH543
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My wife and I have recently returned from a fourteen day holiday at the Atlantica Bay Hotel. We were met on arrival by Maria, the hotel public relations manager, and two of the reception staff. She offered us a choice of complimetary hot or cold drinks, cakes and biscuits and gave us a talk explaining where all the hotel facilities are situated.We then went to our room to discover that our cases had already been taken there. The newly refurbished room was of a good size, airy, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The restaurant was also very comfortable with a very good selection of English, vegeterian and local dishes all hot and well cooked.The breakfasts in particular are amazing. The choice was such that you could have a different breafast every day without having the same thing twice. The hotel give you a voucher for one free meal per visit in the a la carte restaurant. This is a dining experience rather than a meal. The restaurant is run by Dean, one of the head waiters and his excellent staff with the aplomb you would expect from a five star city centre hotel. The menu is good and the food is cooked to order and presented well. Dean is also a very good singer. He usually sings a few songs during the cabaret after the gala dinner. The gala dinner is also another memorable evening. It begins wih cocktails on the upper terrace and then you are taken to your table on the lower terrace where the food is set out buffet style. This is followed by cabaret featuring the resident duo Susie and Lee, the hotel entertainment girls Lisa and Charlotte, a professional act and or course Dean. The hotel is situated in a quiet area with not much nightlife nearby but there is a bus stop outside and the buses are reliable and cheap however we hardly left the hotel during our stay. Lisa and Charlotte organise games all day and there are shows every night. The sunbathing area by the pool is good with no shortage of sun beds and the beach club is spectacular with a bar, taverna and plenty of sun beds. We were all inclusive and we didn't experience any of the problems you sometimes get with this option. The staff were walking round the pool all day asking if you wanted more drinks. The staff in this hotel are the best I have met in any hotel. Unfortunately my wife had a medical problem during our stay but Maria could not have done more. She rang the hospital, spoke to a doctor, arranged an appointment with a consultant and organised transport to and from the hospital. Happily the problem was soon resolved.Although we love children an added bonus is that no children are allowed in the hotel so there is plenty of peace and quiet.Overall an excellent holiday. Thanks to everyone concerned I have no hesitation in reccomending this hotel to anyone and we can't wait to get back next year.

4  Thank Bill M
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Very dissappointing, more like Butlins in the sun than a romantic retreat. The food was not consistant, some times good, mostly average, a bit like school dinners. No fresh orange juice in the hotel. The saving grace was the lovely fresh juice in the Sands bar on the beach. The food there was excellent also, all freshly cooked, and served very graciously by Laura. She was a gem, nothing was too much trouble and she always had a lovely smile. The big drawback was getting to the beach. The brochure says the beach is reached via a short tunnel. What it does not say is that to get to the tunnel you have to leave the hotel and walk down the main road to reach the tunnel. It was very dirty and I felt far from safe, not somewhere I would have gone on my own.

The entertainment was loud and brash and not very professional. It was even worse when our room was immediately above it. Fortunately the Thomson rep, Arlene, was able to get us another room and this was much better.

The worst experience though was in the restaurant. During the second week one of the waiters, Alex, made me feel like a criminal for requesting a Brandy Sour with my meal, which I had had on a previous evening. I was very upset and couldn't even eat my meal. As we were on half Board, and therefore paying for drinks this was outrageous.

The general look of the hotel was very mediocre, but it was very clean, all the staff, except Alex were lovely. The size of the hotel and the location did start to feel like one was in a prison camp at times. Thankfully we had a car and were able to escape when it got too much.

Room Tip: Side sea view, facing west. Much quieter and can heve a sundowner on the balconer. Great view towa...
9  Thank errolites