“Not quite as good as it used to be.”

Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Our third stay in four years. We had a very pleasant and relaxing day stay here. We did not, however, find the lobby/lounge modernisation to our taste, nor the new dining arrangements. We had previously dined every night in the Ambrosia restaurant which offered themed buffets, we went outside this year. (We would recommend the Al Pesto Italian Restaurant opposite the hotel) . The lounge area had always been very busy and inviting of an evening, this time it was virtually deserted and this is possibly a reflection of guest dissatisfaction with the changes.

In other aspects the hotel was much the same although our Junior Suite was looking 'rather tired.'

We talked to a number of more elderly guests, some who had returned to the Amathus year after year, but now they were not too happy and were undecided about staying here in future. The Four Seasons next door appears to be benefiting!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
ABHManager, Hotel Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2009

Dear Amathus Friend,

Firstly we would like to thank you for your support and for choosing the Amathus Beach Hotel for your holidays the last four years. This is greatly appreciated from all team members of the Amathus Beach Hotel.

I was glad to read that you had another relaxing and enjoyable stay here with us and thank you for sharing your experience with all other reviewers.

However I was really very concerned to hear that the recent renovations did not meet your expectations.

Most of of the changes of our facilities and decor were based on actual previous guests' comments and feedback. As you know we value all guests' comments and we try whenever feasible to adopt them, so to ensure that all services and facilities meet our valuable guests' expectations.

However I trust that all other services provided to you from our team members during your stay were to your entire satisfaction and I trust that your concerns will not deter you from choosing our hotel again.

Therefore I look forward to welcoming you back to the Amathus Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed October 4, 2009

We too have stayed at the Amathus Beach Hotel for many , many years...... sadly we have found the standards sliding considerably this year........ of particular note was the quality of food.............
We also agree with previous comments in that management and staff are nowhere near as friendly, efficient or helpful as in the past.-We are aware that there have been many changes in these areas and it is showing........ unfortunately negatively.
We will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank saddened23
ABHManager, Hotel Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2009

Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Amathus Beach Hotel, and thank you for taking the time to post and share the comments of your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

Please be assured that we value all guest comments, as constructive criticism, like yours, is of utmost importance and paramount to the quality control of our operation.

Amathus Beach Hotel is well established all over the world and well liked and preferred by thousands of satisfied guests and reviewers. On occasion we do make mistakes, we examine the nature of the mistakes made and we treat each and every comment we receive from guests as a learning experience.

I can only describe what you have experienced during your stay as a series of unfortunate and isolated incidents and I trust you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Amathus Beach Hotel and regain your confidence in our services.

Kind Regards
Amathus Beach Hotel

Reviewed September 29, 2009

We have stayed at the Amathus Beach hotel over 20 times since Dec 1980. Our children now aged 20 and 24 have grown up enjoying happy holidays there and now as adults continue to appreciate its outstanding qualities. Waking up to sunshine, a sea view and the thought of the excellent breakfast is a real treat. Limassol is an ideal base for sightseeing. This September we enjoyed a swim in Lara Bay where there were still a few turtles in the tanks. The staff at the hotel are friendly and extremely efficient and it says a lot that many of them have been there since the 1980's too!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2009

So sad to see this hotel go down so much. My husband and I have been regular visitors to Cyprus in the summer months for many, many years. This hotel had a fantastic reputation years ago and even as the product aged standards in service were maintained and good, efficient friendly service was offered. Sadly this too now has gone. Sure part of the hotel has been renovated...but it's "cold" and lacks style which it had loads of before. Most distressing though is that so many of the wonderful friendly staff and management from before have moved on. What's left now is a "robotic team" straight faces.... no time to talk to the guests and see to our needs, stress written all over their faces. We were shocked one day whilst seated down by the pool to hear shouting coming from the management offices above us....... that's about all we ever go to know about management as they were never seen amongst guests. "Heard but not seen". We are unlikely to stay again... several of our friends who we use to meet here on an annual basis have moved to the Four Seasons nearby... we were advised by them to do so but though we'd try the Amathus again... sadly we mde the wrong decision.

6  Thank Holidaymakers21
ABHManager, HOTEL MANAGER at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2009

Dear Reviewer, Greetings from Amathus Beach Hotel, and thank you for taking the time to post your comments of your recent stay here with us.
It is with great concern to read that our services and facilities did not meet your expectations. Rest assure that all your comments will further be discussed and analysed among the management team and corrective action will be taken where necessary.
However after carefully reading your review I wanted to clarify some of the points raised, since do not represent the real situation of our services and facilities.

The hotel has undergone a multimillion revonation and both facilities and services have been upgraded. All materials used and especially the new furniture of the lobby area, restaurants and bedrooms have been carefully selected and most of them have been designed from the worlds most famous designers. It is not suprising that we were nominated for next year to qualify for the best DESIGNED HOTEL OF THE WORLD.

Therefore many local and international popular and experienced architects and people that really appreciate and understantd from stylish furniture have highly spoke about our renovations.

Furthermore I would like to clarify that our team members are the most valuable asset of the Amathus Hotel. Therefore we try always to support them and provide to them a friendly and comfortable working environment. Our hotel is also proud to be one of the few establishments on the island with the lowest staff turnover. Thats why this year the company has decided to employee a Director of Human Resource Development (that for many years the hotel did not have) and further invest on the on going training and support of our team.

Concerning the SHOUTING INCIDENT I would like to comment that indeed the managements offices are one level above the swimming pool area. However it was very strange to hear the shouting coming from the offices since they are situated on the opposite side of the building and are facing the front road and parking area with now windows on the sea side. Honestly I do no understant how you could hear the management team shouting especially at this time of year that all office windows are well closed due to heat and A/C system.

Your review and comments are well respected but i trust that the above response clarifies the situation and gives a clear and objective opinion to all other reviewers that would like to visit the Amathus Beach Hotel in LImassol.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 25, 2009

I have been to Cyprus many times before as it is one of my favourite destinations, the food is great and the people are so welcoming. If you ever find yourself in Cyprus you must take a trip up the Troodos Mountains, amazing with a lovely taverna at the top. Also take a trip to the market in Limassol old town, you can pick up some really great souvenirs and it’s a nice day out. I travelled at the beginning of Sept and the temperature was still very good, sometimes a bit too hot.

I stayed in the Amathus Beach in Limassol for my summer holiday this year and I was overly impressed, I’ve stayed in quite a few of the 5 star hotels in Cyprus and even though they are all very remarkable I have to admit the Amathus has been my best so far. I stayed in this hotel about 6 or 7 years back and it has changed drastically, for the better, I didn’t even recognise the hotel from the inside. The food in the restaurants was perfect and so much choice, I decided to go half board with the euro being a bit rubbish at the moment and I was a little worried that I would be eating the same food every few days but I needed not worry as I ate a different meal each night and we got a allowance to eat in there fish restaurant on the beach one night so made our meal loads cheaper.

The spa they have done is brilliant, so many treatments to choose from and very reasonably priced too, I certainly wasn’t expecting the spa to be as good as it was. I recommend the royal Thai massage myself.

I now have major holiday blues after returning from such a fantastic holiday!

1  Thank Hannah1985London
Reviewed September 25, 2009

nothing to add more than already mentionned
all is fine , good location , nice staff and food ok
furthermore , taking a cab , you are 10 minutes away from any downtown restaurant
i would recommend sea view rooms
will come back

1  Thank illyushin
Reviewed September 17, 2009

A very nice hotel, with interesting newly done decor!!! Super friendly staff treating you as a king!!! Very convenient location -close to the ancient sites of the city- that made our lives easier in terms of sightseing and dine around as there is a selection of pubs &
restaurants nearby.