“very upsetting experience”

Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Kyrenia
Bangkok
“very upsetting experience”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The first time we stayed there it seemed alright. A bit worn but close to all of the attractions. The second time we came though it was unbearable. At first they put us in a room in the main building. By accident we discovered that our key opened all of the other rooms as well. Not very safe. They then put us in a different building. The first room stunk as it had a sewar problem and it took way too long fr them to agree to switch us. The worst problem yet was booking our trips in their taxi. The first driver drove insanely fast stopping at numerous places to pick up packages. A fifteen minute ride was scary and took over an hour. The second driver changed the prices (tripling it, in british pounds, only 5 hours before our trip to the airport and the hotel was very uncooperative).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rubytrav
M D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Club Z, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
As you promised, thank you for your comments. In relation to your remarks about the 'special' key opening all the doors, I believe you may have been

misled by the button locking mechanism of our doors. During the day, prior to a new check in, we keep the rooms unlocked (by not pressing the button) and

you must have attempted to open these rooms which were already open. I am surprised that you were attempting to open a room which you were not

allocated.
As soon as you raised concerns about your first room we provided you with an alternate room and gave you access to both keys so that you can change in

your own time. You expressed satisfaction on this, several times, and after this incident you did not raise any issues with us.
On the morning of 31st December, you casually asked for the cost of transfer to Larnaca and we informed you that the taxi firm which we work with usually

charges £65. You immediately left, claiming that you could find your own taxi which could do the same journey for £45. In the afternoon (around 5pm) you

rang the reception asking to book a transfer to Larnaca for the 1st January at 5am. We said that we will try our best. We rang several other taxi firms, as

our usual ones were fully booked, and the best price we got was 200TL (approx. £70). On your return to the Hotel that evening on discovering the price you

became argumentative and abusive claiming that we were trying to take advantage of the situation. As you can appreciate, 5am on a New Year's day is an

inappropriate time of the year for making last minute arrangements. Please note also that the Hotel does not have its own taxi service and we had to be very

persuasive with the taxi driver (he did us a favour).
We hope that you have a more pleasant visit to Cyprus next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed in Hotel club Z with family for two weeks over xmas period. We all cannot praise everything about the hotel enough. The staff are all extremely polite and obliging. Rooms spotlessly clean. Walking distance to town, good restaurants, just the best relaxing time we all agreed we had ever had. Will certainly be going back. Only one thing inside pool not in use (hope it will be next time we visit in winter). But overall great.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank dreen_11
Manchester
Reviewed January 1, 2013

On balance, Hotel Club Z is fairly good value for money. After all, it wasn't very expensive. It is situated within very easy walking distance of the centre of Kyrenia, with all its amenities. There are also two fabulous restaurants within about two hundred metres (Ikimiz and Kyrenia Taverna both of which are worth visiting).

The staff at Club Z are very friendly but not in an intrusive way. They just want to make your stay as pleasant as they can. Other reviewers have commented on the quality of the breakfast but to be honest, I thought it was fine. There was certainly a variety of items on offer. The only suggestion I would make is for fresh coffee to be offered since there was only instant. They did however, offer a wide range of Twinings tea.

As for the rooms, well they were fine. Mine was very quiet. The only gripe really is that they provided coffee and tea making facilities (ie a kettle and cups) but no coffee or tea. When we pointed this out, it was met with a sort of apologetic shrug. So that was a shame. The TV in the room had a range of Turkish channels but also BBC News and BBC entertainment.

The communal facilities were pleasant with plenty of comfy chairs and a big TV which was nice to watch when we returned from dinner (and also deserted so we could watch what we wanted). The staff were also happy to make us teas and coffees. There was also a friendly parakeet that would greet us with a squawk every morning.

So on balance, I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravellingBrit321
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed December 26, 2012

First of all :it is not a 4 star hotel.I would give it a 3 stars and no more! And this is what upset me the most! If i knew i was going to a 3 start hotel i would have prepared myself for that.The room was big but seemed to be very dated and boring.The furniture looked like kitchens furniture and there was no mirror in the room.The balcony was dirty with some cigarrets ends on the floor left by previous clients,same as the bathroom.
Indoor swimming pool? Yes,there is,but it is not exactly clean and i don't believe it is being used,the water was extrealmy cold.There is no sauna,no jacuzzi,no massage and no fitness room.Ok we were there in December so I can imagine that not all of the these have to be in use.But actually i found there absolutely nothing to do.
The breakfast was awful,really awful.And I don't expect too much,just some ordinery cheese and decent ham would do.But they don't seem to understand that not every one wants to eat turkish salami and turkish kind of cheese.
I don't understand who decided to give to this hotel 4 star.
I know that for the less money i could get much better somewhere else. And the view form our balcony,great!:Old garden path and the big wall from the other building.Really i do not recommend.Description of that room is just one big lie!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dottypl
Thank you for your comments. I am puzzled as to how you can prepare yourself for a three or four star hotel. I wish that you had asked at the reception

about the facilities which you now claim does not exist; since we do have all the facilities available at the Hotel. I am surprised to find that you did not

have anything to do at such a conveniently located Hotel. Most of our guests visiting our Hotel are delighted to find and taste the local delicatessens. I

hope that you can find a Hotel for your next visit at a price that would suit your needs.

Travelers are raving about these Kyrenia hotels

Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Beautiful location,excellent facilities.
All staff friendly and helpful.
Great value food and drinks.
Hotel is ideally sited,within walking distance of the town
Great as a base for exploring Northern Cyprus.
We intend to return next Summer, to take full advantage of the pool.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mike E
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

in todays world in most of the cities you can not find a hotel which can provide you what ever you want. you can be satisfied with a hotel, especially because of good price, good quality, and good personnel.
Firstly the price is perfect in comparison with other hotels in Girne. the quality of service also is noticeable. at the end the personnel are very friendly.
I was there about 2 weeks with my girl friend and everything was perfect. so I suggest this hotel to all you guys.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sina s
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Lovely hotel, tranquil and great location

Great pool area, friendly staff.
Having just spent two weeks at Club Z I honestly can't see why people are complaining? The staff were always friendly and helpful. I had no problems communicating with them and only wish my Turkish was as good as their English. My room was clean and very adequate for my needs. If I had to find a fault I would say that some of the decor was getting a bit dated but that is taking a very critical approach. I'm surprised that Club Z isn't used by some of the bigger holiday companies in North Cyprus but that's their loss. Altogether I had an excellent time and look forward to returning there in the future.
Restaurant Tip: Turn left out of the back entrance walking away from town. At the Bektas supermarket turn right and you will find Iddaa 2 a little local restaurant. The owner always has a smile on his face and a welcome for everyone. He serves a selection of kebabs and fish, with each meal comes a complimentary mezze usually consisting of 5 dishes and flat bread. On one occasion I was treated to 10 dishes!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyrenia
Dome Hotel
Mountain View Hotel & Villas
Mountain View Hotel & Villas
#1 of 3 in Agios Georgios
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hotel
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hote...
#2 of 8 in Alsancak - Karavas

Been to Hotel Club Z? Share your experiences!