“Back for the tenth time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Kyrenia
Wakefield
“Back for the tenth time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having a place where you really feel comfortable makes your holiday as far as me and my family and friends are concerned,makes all the difference. That is why we keep coming back to The Ship.We have been coming since 2001 and we have only mist one year, and we regretted that ( we went to Egypt) thats not saying we havent been to other resorts/ etc, as we have but for some reason we keep coming back to North Cyprus. and the Ship Inn mainly due to to very helpful staff, ( thankyou Zubey you are the best), the only thing I might comment on is that the other staff although very keen and could not do enough for you just seemed to be rushed off their feet as i got the impression that they had cut down on the amount of staff., there used to be a barman for quite a few years called Nurey and he was the best, always had your drink on the bar as soon as you walked in but not there this year , shame, those are the little touches that make this place special.. right lets get down to the real nitty gritty, I must agree with Leicesterboy who says that the rooms need upgrading a bit ( I think I said this in my last review) but they are not to bad, lets face it you only sleep in them and they are quit adequate. I must also say thankyou to the local massuse who after 2 days of being refined to her room my wife had a massage which more or less cured her back problem that prevented her from enjoying her holiday, Thankyou. also I think the new resteraunt needs to go a little (just a little) more upmarket as regards the menu, although quite nice we did find some very good resteraunts in kyrenia for better food, ( The House being one) So having said all that then yes we will be back again as it is as I have said very homely, very hospitible, very relaxing, ie the ideal hotel if you jst want to relax and have a good time, and yes there are some wonderful bars/ resteraunts/cafe¬s etc, try the six brothers just going into the harbour and mention my name to Ezref you might get a free brandy and he also does some very good meals

Mick

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank mikey91

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Uckfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent 13 nights in the Vista Apartments at the Ship Inn in September and were very disappointed with the apartment position. We had chosen the accommodation based on the travel company's description of the apartments as for those seeking seclusion and privacy. The apartments are situated away from the main hotel buildings but are near a busy road (ours was above a Spanish Tapas restaurant) and open to the road, hardly our idea of secluded and private. We arrived about 1am after a delayed flight and the first thing we noticed was the terrible road noise. Unfortunately the hotel was full so we were unable to change rooms and as we had particularly chosen self catering accommodation this would not have been ideal anyway. The constant traffic noise totally spoiled our enjoyment of the large balcony as we were unable to enjoy our meals outside in peace. Also during the second week of our holiday the Spanish Tapas restaurant opened and we had the added noise of the kitchen extractor chimney which went up the outside of the building by the apartment door. This is my first Tripadvisor review but I wanted others to be aware of the noise issues before choosing these apartments.

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank 843CJJ
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

If rest & relaxation is what you're after,The Ship Inn is the place to be.

On arrival I was a bit miffed as it seems that the hotel is just off the main road, but once you're on the grounds, there is absolutely no traffic noise or exhaust fumes, which is what my concern was.

The grounds are very well maintained - the maintenance guy potters around every day doing bits of gardening, painting the walls etc. It's a shame that the indoor pool and the gym are not advertised at all and hardly used. There are there, but in the 10 days we've stayed at The Ship Inn I've not seen anybody using either. Well, I guess the indoor pool is much smaller than the outdoor one so it probably gets some mileage in the colder months. The gym is just a bit OTT - who would want to work out in that heat! ;-)

The amount of reviews posted for the hotel is in itself a testament to the fact that people want to leave their comments because they really enjoy their stay there.

The pool is just the best. It's clean, yet not over chlorinated and the water is warm from the constant sunshine. It doesn't look massive, but there's always enough space for everyone around the pool, and also inside if you fancy a swim or just need to cool down a bit.

On the other hand both I and my hubby hated the bar inside the hotel building. It's just so 70's and has no atmosphere whatsoever. It looks like a dated English pub, which I guess in the eyes of the owners constitutes its charm, but in my opinion makes it completely charmless. I think they would do much better if they installed a TV at the pool bar and screened the football matches there instead. People do go to the bar for a pre-dinner drink and to watch a football match, otherwise they spend no time there at all, because it's just so much nicer to be sitting outside at the pool bar or having a dinner on the verrandah.

All in all though we've had a really fabulous and relaxing stay. The head waiter Zube is a bit of a character and makes sure that his team see to your every whim. We've been told that most of the young waiters are students, who do this as a holiday job, which explains why some of them are a bit slow on the service side. But they do work very hard - long hours and rather odd shifts. You see somebody at breakfast and then practically throughout the day until the evening meal. All with a charming smile so no harm done if they are not very fast at times! ;-))

We stayed on a B&B basis and found the breakfast selection sufficient and plentiful. Remember, this is the muslim part of Cyprus, so no proper bacon or sausages as they don't eat pork. You will find poached, fried, boiled and scrambled eggs daily, baked beans, chips or fried potatoes, olives, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, plus two types of cereal, fresh fruit (melon, grapes, apples), thick Turkish yoghurt, honey, jam, marmalade, carrot cake, various cheeses and local cold meats. Really, you won't starve and the bread is yummy and freshly baked. They will make you an omelette if you ask.

I would go again if it weren't for the 1.5 hr transfer to Larnaka, but who knows...

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room with a mountain view - we stayed in 513.
3 Thank Agimar
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We've just returned from two weeks at the ship inn, Kyrenia, north cyprus.
After visting the south regularly We wanted to see what the north of Cyprus had to offer as we're considering retiring to Cyprus in the next few years.
This hotel didn't disappoint despite the name and pictures on the net ( we half expected a pub type location)
The hotel has a number of hotel type rooms along with a few self catering villas as previously stated in other reviews.
We stayed in a hotel room which was nice and clean albeit furnished a little old fashioned - I would recommend staying in a mountain view hotel room, as the sun manages to be on your side of the hotel for the majority of the day, making sitting on the balcony more pleasant, after a hot day by the pool.
The hotel has good facilities, the pool is kept very well maintained with plenty of sunbeds, umbrellas and towels available from the bar ( no charge) there is food and drinks available throughout the day - the hotel also uses a card system so that you don't need to use or carry any money around, this can be settled at the end of each day or as we did, at the end of the holiday.
Whilst the hotel is somewhat out of the way, there are a couple of decent restaurants close by with a supermarket 10 minutes walk away. The fish restaurant up the road is good and the Chinese house nearby also has good food in a nice setting - visit the Cacao' for a different eating experience, on the way into Kyrenia - a very modern place with great service.
Getting into Kyrenia or Girne as the locals call it - is easy by jumping on a dolmas (local bus) only 2turkish lira. Stand at the side of the road and flag one down, they come along every 2 minutes.
If you're going to Take a visit into Nicosia / lefkosa catch the Kobos minibus from Kyrenia town centre - nice and easy and only 5 Turkish lira each way, it's fast, cheap and efficient.
Car hire is easy and cheap, although the minimum hire time is 3 days - in fairness you really wouldn't need much more as you can easily visit the local sites in this time - visit St Hilarion castle & Bellapais monastery for fantastic views, if you want a decent beach go to the Escape beach, about 2 miles up the road - it has brilliant facilities, although its not cheap in comparison to other places - 15 turkish lira each for entry.
This hotel gave us exactly what we were looking for - reasonbly priced, relaxing, clean, and excellent facilities in a hot sunny environment - we would have no qualms in re visiting ' The Ship' although after taking everything into consideration we both preferred the south of Cyprus - as someone said to me 'the north is just like the south, but 15 years behind'

If i had one gripe it was the 90 minute transfer from Larnaca airport - with a late flight, transferring in the dark, Nigel mansell at the wheel , and my back to the driver - it wasn't very pleasant

But overall A truly enjoyable holiday ........

Room Tip: A mountain view room or a Villa if Self Catering
2 Thank Northy_9
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for one week based on previous tripadvisor reviews. I have to admit I wasnt expecting much and considered the hotel to be just a cheap base- literally somewhere to sleep whilst exploring north cyprus. As we approached the hotel via transfer I was waiting for that embarrassing sinking feeling of getting off the bus to a complete wreck of a hotel (admittedly I can be quite fussy as well!). The first surprise was that it truly didnt look that bad, then I turned the corner to get to reception and saw all these beautiful flowers and trees- it was very green! After check in we went to get food (the pool bar stays open late for late arrivals- 11pm!). The pool looked really lovely and all the pathways were lit with pretty mood-lighting. There's a garden around the back with several aviaries, water fountains and a huge surprise was the indoor pool with gym and therapy centre! We stayed in a room in one villa by the pool- we were B&B. Everyone keeps talking about how dated it all is, but to be honest, I really didnt notice! Perhaps our room was better? It had everything you needed and was cleaned and tidied everyday- the bed was made everyday and all towels changed. There wasnt any decent toiletries but they did have liquid hand soap and a hairdryer and shaver socket in the bathroom. The plugs were also three-pronged so no need for adapters. There was a TV, fridge and an air-con unit on the wall. We had a small balcony too (which was also swept and mopped daily!). Another huge surprise was how good the shower was (over bath)- powerful and hot. My only complaint was they could have done with a small chest of drawers somewhere- there was a single wardrobe, dressing table, two side tables and a table with tea/coffee/kettle.

With regards to entertainment I would say this hotel provides you with everything to make your own- TV in bar showing sky sports/news, pool bar, pool with outdoor showers and inflatables, the gym and therapy rooms, tennis courts close-by, an AMAZING ice cream parlour five mins walk up the road (turn right out of hotel), sofas inside hotel for evening reading (one end looks like a traditional gentlemans smoking room!)- and the occasional event put on: in our case the 'gypsy brothers' playing guitar and singing over dinner.

Breakfast is a mini feast so long as you can adapt to cyprus food- there are some english touches but no traditional english breakfast- lots of different types of eggs however! On one day we were offered omelettes also- so I presume you can ask for this? Dinner was a bit hit and miss- the food was fairly nice one evening, so we decided to book in for the set meal the next night (and it was very average)- i'd much rather explore and eat elsewhere. I never saw the "excellent" service that others have mentioned- the two occasions we had dinner at the hotel we felt generally ignored, or overlooked (getting food really late, no one asking for drinks, etc). I could see that this really wasnt the same for everyone- and I've seen first hand how hard the staff work there, and when asking questions they are very friendly. This really was our only complaint, but everything else was so amazing and so above what I expected that it wasn't an issue. Also another big note to mention is that the majority of people staying at this hotel are over 50- it didn't bother me, but it might some people.

Here's a few bits of advice about the area:
It really is true they accept nearly every currency- and it is WAY better to get TL out there (you can even do this at hotel reception)- also convert back whilst there if you have anything left over. I lost SO much money doing this at the UK post office and its a bit of a regret, so take my advice.
Supermarket is 10min walk (take a left)- they sell a baguette (just the one flavour) which is amazing, great for taking on day trips etc- really cheap and yummy. The hotel's food is generally expensive, but is on a par to UK prices. You also pass a traditional pottery (brilliant for souvenirs)- and a fish bar... as expensive as hotel. Walk down the other way (right as you come out hotel) towards kyrenia and you will pass a great chinese and spanish restaurant (not open late on sundays)...you also pass an army base, but eventually (10 mins) you reach a good kebab house and then further on the ice cream parlour. Beyond this is mostly retail stores...and then kyrenia town.
Buses pass all the time and will beep when they see you walking. Into kyrenia they will cost 2.50TL (anything more you are being ripped off, but they are allowed to charge up to 3.50TL).
Escape beach is AMAZING!! Costs 15TL, and 3.50TL bus ride.... lovely sandy beach with sunbeds, umbrellas- the food is overpriced there but the ice cream stand is really cheap! They say you cant take your own food/drink in- but you can hide it in your bag. (same goes for the hotel).
I do not recommend visiting the turtle beach AT ALL (alagadi)- total waste of time. They rave on about it- I thought we'd be visiting a place of outstanding natural beauty but the sand was filled with rubbish, it practically broke my heart knowing the turtles had to trek through all that muck! Its also a half hour bus ride from kyrenia (4TL- bus station is right from the main roundabout by the large hotel/casino-where you usually get dropped off). There is a cafe there and the toilets are literal holes in the ground- theres not a lot there. It is also a long walk down a hill from the main road (like something out of a horror film- its that remote!). Our bus also didnt turn up when we'd been told it would, and we stood waiting for an hour before having to return to the beach to sit out waiting for the next one. Luckily some lovely lady offered us a lift back- i'm not sure how much i trust the buses to that stretch of coast!
The tourist information is located by the marina in kyrenia-the harbour is beautiful especially at night- there is a whole stretch of restaurants lit with candles. The castle is also located here. There are lots of shops and good cafes and restaurants- average prices for dinner about 20TL (without drinks) each- but fish cost a lot more. Buses seem to run till late- we caught one at 10.30pm.
Reps usually put on lots of tours, but these might be cheaper if you book them yourself- there are SO many boat trips available just visit the marina.

All in all its a very relaxing place- I think it would have been good to stay longer as there is so much to see in the area. It was still blissfully hot even as we left (3rd october). I never heard any noise from the road but our room was set back.... only noise we heard was the cockerel! Its a very pretty place, with a lovely non-chlorinated pool. I wish the food were better, or cheaper and I doubt i'd have rarely left! Also, I really like the card system they had at the hotel- you paid for everything on a card so you need not carry cash around with you- then you paid when checking out.

Its definitely beyond what you expect and a 100% recommendation from me!

Room Tip: top floors have best view, and rooms at the back I presume are quieter because they're further f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Mel23285
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Booked this holiday directly with the owners. They were also kind enough to book our flights and the hotel taxi picked us up at Larnaca and took us to The Ship.
So many of the clientele return year after year and we can see why.
We had a very relaxing holiday, the hotel staff were all amazing, extremely courteous and smiled continuously, nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were cleaned to perfection and the food in the restaurant and bar were always well presented and good sized portions.
Enjoyed it so much we're hoping to return again this year!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Pollywaddle
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at The Ship Inn and have had a very enjoyable stay.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa which was right by the pool. The fixtures and fittings left a lot to be desired, and could do with a bit of modernisation, but did the job. The shower didn't have the greatest water pressure and the fridge wasn't the coldest but neither was worth complaining about.

The outdoor area is lovely, with gardens, an aviary and few stray chickens and cats.....! The pool is great and is well maintained.

There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, a chinese where the food is delicious but the prices a bit on the high-side. The Lemar supermarket is within walking distance but if you have a car Tempo has a better selection and does a gorgeous rotisserie chicken.

Although The Ship Inn is on the main road in Kytenia, the noise is hardly noticeable and you get used to the cockerels...!!!!

All in all a lovely hotel, great location and friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends