“Just OK”

Guidos
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2012

First time at Guido's went because of the advertisement from Fox radio WGNY 98.9FM oldies. It was my birthday so we said we would give it a try. My wife and I did like the atmosphere, the waitress was pleasant the main problem was my meal. I had the Angel Hair Anelian, white clam sauce was Great, 1st problem no shrimp, 2nd the scallops and lobster meat was over cook very chewy. Not that big of a problem but other people got a direst with a candle in it for the birthday I got nothing? I still gave the waitress 20% tip. We will try again but at this time 3 stars is the best I can do. Note: I never had any of these problems at Red Lobster.

Reviewed September 28, 2010

We ate at Guidos earlier this summer (July 10) and have to say that it was the worst meal we have eaten in a long time. Firstly, the menu choice is very limited and when you do get your third choice of main meal (other two were sold out in a half empty restaurant) it just seems that its coated in garlic. I mean everything has garlic in it.

This restaurant is owned by an english lady with her italian husband who seems closer to his english roots than italian but at least he is genuine, although he likes to make it clear that he is the boss. They both dont seem to have their hearts in this business or actual fact their life in north cyprus as within 5 mins they were moaning about the country and the fact that they got ripped off by a developer. Although my heart goes out to anyone who has been ripped off in North cyprus (there are a lot), it is not professional to tell your diners your whole life story.

On a positive note, the restaurant is clean and realistically priced for its location being on a busy road, although set back a little but really does need to improve the menu and have more ingredients in stock.

We would not recommend eating in this restaurant and although the restaurant prides itself as the 'only genuine italian in north cyprus' i would still recommend heading for a 'non genuine italian' as the service and food options would be more varied.

1  Thank Whatawickedname
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We visited Guidos and were looking forward to some italian food but we ended up having an average italian pasta meal. the food could only be described as ok. I ordered lasagne which when it arrived looked like a dollop of bolognaise sauce with a small salad garnish. when i told the waitress that i thought she had got my order wrong as i had ordered lasagne she said that it was lasagne. the chef 'guido' then came down to tell me that it was lasagne and preceeded to pick up my knife and scrape the bolognaise sauce away to show me that there were layers of cheese sauce and lasagne sheets under the sauce. This put me off the food even before i had had any. There was also no effort to make up for the awful service we received.

1  Thank sharjeeka
Reviewed July 5, 2010

The Restaurants of Northern Cyprus are many and varied, this review is of ones which are within walking distance of the Riverside Holiday Village and can be found just off the main Alsancak to Lapta main road just after the statue known locally as the Golden Lady.
This is a small restaurant with seating available for 43,the interior is of dark pink and black and has a counter where you can buy items from the Deli.
The menu is named after various Acts from Italian Opera and the meals are all served with Fresh bread, three course specials are available each evening at only 20TL but as these are new each day so it is impossible to quote a particular one.
I had Pasta Turnadot which is Fresh Fettuccine with Spinach,gorgonzola cheese,crushed walnuts with a White Wine and cream sauce at 16TL,other dishes include Italian Favorites for instance.
Overture Nabucco Salad Fresh Cos Lettuce with anchovies,Caesars dressing,Parmesan Shavings and Croutons 11TL
Lo Schiaccianoci Mixed fresh letuces with gorgonzola,Walnuts and Pistachio nuts served with a balsamic glace sauce 12TL
IL gambero di Siviglia King Prawns Marinated in Garlic and white wine,grilled,encased in red pepper parcel and topped with a Spicy Marie Rose Sauce
First Act La Spaghetta....The Italian classic spaghetti alla Bolognesa with Guidos special sauce. 15TL
The food is very good quality and the owners make you feel welcome but it soon looses its heat so enjoy the experience.
A selection of soft drinks,beers and wines are available at competitive prices
The most expensive item is La Boheme at 20TL
Highly recommended and worth a visit.

1  Thank nicktrnc
Reviewed May 16, 2010

This is our second trip to Cyprus and our first visit to Guidos was last September and we loved it. Went again last night (ignoring the comments from the last 2 reviews, preferring to make our own minds up) and were not disappointed. The menu is small but there are specials on everyday and what there is on the menu is cooked to a high standard. I had the chicken pate which is one of Guido's specialities and I can safely say I've not tasted better in many places. His pasta is always spot on and the pannecotta was as always delicious. Price wise it actually came out as the cheapest meal we'd had so far, we didnt have any wine but we havent had any in other places so I'm making a fair comparison. I would recommend the place to anyone, not only is the food excellent but the warm welcome you recieve makes you feel like youre with friends. We'll be back a few more times before we leave for home.