“Just what we needed!!”

Balci Plaza
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Famagusta
“Just what we needed!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I took my family to North Cyprus last summer for a 2 week break, our second time on the island and was amazed to discover Balci Plaza in all it's glory!
We almost drive past on the way to the panhandle and turned in looking for a place to stay for one night. Three days later we were still there!
The place is absolutely intoxicating! We are an outdoor family and loved the walks around the grounds and the private beach was so clean and inviting, we spent 3 fabulous days dozing on the beach with the kids playing in the sea, eating great freshly cooked traditional food. The host and owner Hassan is a real character, always making sure we were ok. It has been a long time since I have sampled hospitality like that, nothing was too much trouble. We are planning to visit North Cyprus this year and guess where we are staying !

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Daxana

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
Chicago/Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stopped at the Balci as part of a 10 day self-guided cycling trip throughout North Cyprus. It came at the end of a very long day, and I had mistakenly stopped at the wrong spot about 10 km earlier, so I was even more tired when I got there.
As was becoming common during my mid-January ride, I was the only guest. So I got personal attention, to say the least. But I got the impression that the level of service is outstanding no matter how many folks might be staying there.
The owner, Mr. Hasan, was not on the premises while I was there, but its clear that this place is more than just an investment. He lives onsite much of the time, and it feels more like you are a guest in his home than at a "resort". Gardens for fresh produce abound, and the peace and quiet are wonderful. "Arab" the dog is available to those suffering dog-withdrawal, and will happily accompany you to the beach or around the property.
I only stayed one night before moving on, but would definitely like to return for a longer stay.
Excellent meals, quiet sleeping, and an overall outstanding experience!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank bowsermania
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We have been visiting here for over 5yrs first as guests now as friend's a truly wonderful place owned by an amazing person.recommended for a peaceful relaxing holiday away from the hustle n bustle..Lovely friendly staff who go all out to please.every year we visit n every year it's harder to leave as we said paradise .......lainy n butch

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank lainy C
Surrey, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Please don't tell anyone else about this wondeful find. We discovered it years ago, not to stay,
just to eat and go on the beach. Love the fridge and everything else about this spot. So lets keep this spot amongst ourselves!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank PattilouSurrey_UK
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night in october whilst on our way to the karpaz. The owner and staff are very friendly, the food its great and the rooms are very clean. The beach is very close by with a bar for cold drinks and beers. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Alexsule
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I cannot imagine why I have not written a review on this magical place before. Perhaps its because I want to keep it a secret for it is a very special place indeed. I first 'discovered' the Balci by accident when driving to the Golden Beach which anyone who knows Turkish Cyprus well is an absolute MUST SEE. I spotted a rough driveway (and remember this was about 7 years ago) and drove down to investigate. I will never forget turning the corner past the veggie garden and seeing Hasan's memorable blue sign - WELCOME TO MY WORLD. Now I want you all to know that I am very fussy about where I stay. I am completely disinterested in staying at nondescript fancy plastic hotels. God forbid I have suffered their dull uniformity enough in my business life. I'm used to the empty coral sands of Kenya of 50 years ago. In vain I search for those special hotels (like Ocean Sports at Watamu) which offer the true magic of those far off days when tourism was just a stuttering little flame. Well, I have just come back from my third visit to the Balci and I can report all is well. Its true that the Karpaz is sadly changing - the new road will of course bring in development as will the fancy Marina down the road. However, the Balci is somewhat immune to any such development. This little simple hotel sits in 70 odd acres of land facing the sea. Everything is well spaced out. The accommodation is comfortable but simple. New for me was the air con which is actually a boon. My room- actually two rooms - comprises a two bed plus a little sitting room opening onto a shaded verandah. There is everything you need to be self catering but why on earth anyone would want to do that is beyond me. The food is served at the main hotel complex - just a lovely airy shaded verandah where you eat and a simple bar and sitting area. You can look into the kitchen where the most delicious food is prepared - the usual wonderful Turkish fare and the only place I know in Cyprus where you can get a really decent scrambled egg. This is a genuine family run hotel with absolutely fabulous staff who will do all they can to accommodate your wishes. If you want to swim in the sea just wend your way down a sandy path to the little bay where there is a simple beach bar - no staff you just help your self and write down what you have consumed. Here there are loungers and palm matted umbrellas on the sand inches from the lapping Med a bit like the Caribbean or Kenya for that matter. The sort of people who come to the Balci - and by the way they usually make multiple visits are clearly a discerning bunch. We are looking for simplicity, natural surroundings, a chat around the bar with like minded souls. A word of warning - if your idea of bliss is staying in a concrete monstrosity in Dubai (my idea of sheer hell) then for heaven sake keep well clear of the Balci. (A )you will search in vain for food courts, nail parlours and all that rubbish and to be blunt (B) us Balci fans would prefer you to stay well clear! The Balci is perfectly positioned as a stop-over for trips to the Golden beach which is unfortunately becoming more accessible by the month. What more can I say except to make a firm promise to myself to visit again before too long. I just LOVE the Balci which I guess you can tell by now. In a rapidly changing world do yourself a favour and go and experience a slice of simple heaven - something money and development certainly cannot buy.

Room Tip: The accomodation is in a two storey block. The groundfloor rooms are likely to be a bit cooler. All...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank James D
Paphos District, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Although we didn't stay at this hotel, we visited Balci Plaza after a trip to Famagusta. While looking round the old town, we stopped for Turkish tea at one of the little cafes and chatted to the owner, Mandy. Her father owns the Balci Plaza on the Panhandle and she recommended that we pop in and have a look. About half an hour from the very tip of the panhandle, we drove down a private track to encounter the most beautiful restaurant set in its own gardens. The staff greeted us on the steps and we had a light lunch and drinks on the huge verandah. After lunch we were offered a chance to swim in the Med from their private beach - very refreshing after a long drive from Kyrenia to Famagusta and then on to the panhandle. The hotel is a little way down the track from the restaurant and consists of apartments that look very inviting - we will be looking at staying there on our next visit in October.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Ian B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Famagusta
Altun Tabya Hotel
#4 of 13 in Dipkarpaz
Betul Guesthouse
Betul Guesthouse
#1 of 5 in Famagusta

Been to Balci Plaza? Share your experiences!