“A golden symphony with discordant notes!”
Review of Aspava Restaurant

Aspava Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 84 Restaurants in Famagusta
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We ate here at the weekend. Mixed opinion.

The food to be fair was excellent. A great selection of meze dishes, and the mixed kebab final platter was a justified joy to behold and to taste.

There are however no prices on the menu. What I should say is that there is no menu. Even outside there are just pictures of the food with no prices.

We were told the only thing available was the mixed kebab, which was not a problem as that is probably what we would have gone for anyway.

The place was popular with the locals. We paid 40TL per head for the food. In the back of my head though, given the local salaries and the value of the Turkish Lira certainly in Turkey, and that it seemed so popular with the locals when there are plenty of other far emptier restaurants nearby, somehow I did have a very annoying nagging doubt though that the locals do pay cheaper.....

I could be wrong, and indeed would love to be proved wrong, but that left a nagging doubt in my head, to unfortunately end the night on a somewhat discordant bothersome note. Of course if there was an up front menu there would be no doubt....... 40TL in itself in Cyprus is not an overly bad price for the food that what was offered, even if not cheap either, but who likes to feel they may (possibly...) have been ripped off??

On top of this, the food was brought out quickly, almost too quickly. Final platter arrived about 15 minutes after we ordered, when I am used to dishes being distributed more slowly over the course of an evening.

The drinks I also had to remind for them to be brought as they were clearly and apologetically forgotten, which is inattentive. I was halfway through the final platter by the time they did actually arrive.

Far worse, my wife ordered a lemonade. My impression to be homemade. It was certainly not lemon!! I would say it was actually an orange cordial, even if a pleasant brand, with a sprig of mint. 5 or 6 TL for orange squash is way too much. If you don't have any lemonade at least be honest, and we can simply re-order! Don't pretend.

At the end of the meal it seemed they were also eager for us to go, to get the table ready for the next sitting, for as soon as we finished eating they cleaned up and put new plates and glasses on the end of the table...... not such a subtle hint. I would say this is not a restaurant for that leisurely all evening meal. Although paradoxically we did then have to wait quite a while to receive the bill!

It is also worth noting that this restaurant (we were told) does not open until 7pm if you are thinking of having an early meal after spending the day browsing the sights. We arrived at 6:10pm and had to return later, along with one foreign couple, which we did only because I thought if this is rated number one in Famagusta on Trip Advisor I want to try it. Although at 7:10pm when we returned two or three tables were already filled by locals with their food laid out and served.....

I am therefore in a quandary what to rate this restaurant. The food is excellent for sure. The setting is nice. To be fair I did enjoy it.

However It was like a beautiful symphony, but with the odd seriously discordant note. Like attending any professional concert these are unfortunately what stick in the mind, despite the overall overarching beauty and pleasure of a piece. I can therefore only give 2/5, even if I myself may feel this is perhaps a little unfair.

But one should always be able to leave a restaurant content, and on a high note, so perhaps it is reasonable.

If all the locals pay 40TL, then most certainly I would raise it to 3/5.

If they also tell me the lemons in north cyprus are no longer bitter, but now taste like oranges I'd certainly rate it 4/5.

The food is 5/5!

A shame to therefore be let down in the execution.

4  Thank GreatFlow

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We went here with a friend, who knew the place well, and had a wonderful meal. Our friend ordered the full Kebab, which included delicious mezes, followed by a platter of meat. Excellent sausages, and some of the best and most tender chicken I have ever had. The only sadness was that we could not finish it all, but as our friend lived in Famagusta, he could take home a doggy bag.

1  Thank James K
Reviewed May 7, 2013

That's nice restaurand inside old castle with delicious kebab. Kebab is most probably the best in Famagusta. Very quiet place. Prices are little high, but it is worth it!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Having just arrived in Famagusta from Kyrenia/Girne to continue our holiday we decided to visit Old Town . We spotted this lovely courtyard restaurant where a family was eating a meal late in the afternoon. We only wanted a drink, but once we had seen the magnificent kebabs in the outside kitchen it would have been churlish not to try one! Oh my! We certainly wasn't disappointed . I only ordered one for a snack as we were having dinner later at our hotel. It came with all the meze dish on the plate. Absolutely wonderful. What a treat. We will be back.
We understand from the guys that they have been established since 1976 which only goes to show that what they are doing is right.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were recommende to this place by a lady at the tourist office.A bit dubious as the local(we got lost!) kept saying "kebab"(or kebap)and thoughts of vans outside pubs late at night came into our minds! But it was fantastic.Succulent marinaded fresh meat/chicken kebaps and an aubergine with lamb.Cooked over wood fire.Meze before.Just so good that later in the week we made a special trip from Girne(Kyrenia) to eat there again.Just as good as before.Delightful people. Go there if you can.

1  Thank JNDawson