“Unique and fabulous”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Vaduz
Munich, Germany
“Unique and fabulous”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We spent an absolutely fabulous weekend in the Park-Hotel Sonnenhof. We chose the Armani Suite (Room #21) which included a wonderful patio with a lounge chair, chair and table and gorgeous views of the mountains. It's an end room and very quiet. The bed faces the window and we slept with the patio door opened to get the beautiful cool breeze at night. The room was very stylish, clean, comfortable, and has a great bathroom. We didn't use the pool or spa. However, we had probably the best meal of our lives at Maree with a perfect wine-pairing. The view from the restaurant was equally stunning of the Castle and mountains. We met the owner who walked around the restaurant to make sure all was perfect, and it was. Although this is not a restaurant review, I highly recommend this experience and go for the full tasting menu with wine pairing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hubertus R, Manager at Parkhotel Sonnenhof, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
First of all we want to thank you for your visit and the fantastic review.
We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with your decision about the Armani Suite.
Thank you also for the compliment about our Restaurant. We hope to have the pleasure to spoil you soon again.
Greetings from the whole team of the Park Hotel Sonnenhof.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Guilford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We celebrated a wedding anniversary during our recent vacation to Germany, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. The facilities at the Parkhotel Sonnenhof were exceptional and the staff went out of there way with special touches to make our stay memorable.

We dined at the Restaurant Maree where we were served a fabulous six course meal of mini-portions with accompanying wine selections on their amazing deck. The food was superb and again, the service was fabulous. This is a family run hotel and on the night we were there, Mrs. Real greeted each guest and visited each table during the evening to make sure every need was met.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hubertus R, General Manager at Parkhotel Sonnenhof, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you so much for this comment on trip advisor. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. We already look forward to welcome you again. Best regards from the whole team of the Park Hotel Sonnenhof.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was the second place my family and I stayed in our two week trek across Europe. This "hide-a-away" hotel was a very pleasant surprise, as we made our way up through the mountains of Liechtenstein. It is tucked just below the Princes castle of Liechtenstein, which is in walking distance. The hotel was impeccable, between the rooms, view, staff, and dining service. We ate at Marée, hotel restaurnt, both nights and it was incrediable, worth every penny and then some. Both nights the chef surprised us with an assorment of amuse-bouche's that were excellent. Our dinner seemed to be coragraphed with every plate that was put down and picked up with the wait staff never missing a beat. Another surprise was that the owners were there both nights and made the environment that much more welcoming. The experience was overall marvelous and enchanting. This hotel is on my list to return and will come highly recommended by my entire family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank europeanhiker
Hubertus R, General Manager at Parkhotel Sonnenhof, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
First of all thank you for your visit and the excellent review. To be hospitable means a lot to us, therefor we are pleased to read that we could convince you. We feel honoured that we are on your list to return and already look forward to your next visit. All the best from the whole team of the Park Hotel Sonnenhof
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed at the Park Sonnenhof during a two week hiking trip through Switzerland and Austria on the last two days of my trip. On the positive side the hotel has very nice facilities and a great location with an excellent view. The grounds are immaculate, and the facilities are excellent,a s one would expect in a five-star hotel. On the downside, I found the hotel to be a bit noisy. The hotel was doing some work in the room next to mine, and it was quite noisy. the hotel did move me after I requested a room change and upgraded my room, which I appreciated. The breakfast for this caliber hotel (and a Michelin-rated restaurant on the property) was quite disappointing, and one of the least impressive of my stay. The hotel is also not air conditioned, and the room was unpleasantly hot and stuffy throughout my stay. There is a sign that states Liechtenstein does not allow air conditioning for environmental reasons, but I frankly thought that was a bit incredulous, as I know there are air conditioned buildings in Liechtenstein. Although the restaurant is top notch, I found the prices exorbitant even by Swiss standards, (32 Swiss francs for a appetizer dinner salad?!) Finally, I had to check out on my last day at 6a to catch a flight in Zurich (which I can't believe is that unusual) and there was no reception staff on duty to be found, nor was there any sort of contact information at the front desk. I had to go back to the kitchen to find someone to help me, and waited about 20 minutes until they could contact the staff reception person on call. Overall, it was not the best experience, and I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tim S
Christ Church Parish, Barbados
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel several times but hadn't been for a few years until I visited again in March this year. The hotel has always been one of my favourites but since the make-over and revamp that took place in the last year or so it is even more amazing. The interior decor is beautiful, the surrounding scenery is breath taking and the tranquility of the place is heaven. I love the way the suites have been so tastefully furnished. Mr & Mrs Real Snr are the most delightful of hosts and Mr Hubertus Real Jnr is an oustanding chef. The food is unique in my view. Quality is uncompromised and presentation is intriguing. The sorbet platter is to die for!! I would recommend this hotel without hesitation for anyone who is spending a few days in Vaduz. The Prince of Liechtenstein's castle is just a short walk from the hotel and if you have a chance to do this in springtime it is a beautiful experience.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower floor are all individually decorated in a different style. Each is unique.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your comment. We are very happy to hear that you like our make-over. Hopefully it won’t be long until your next visit. See you soon and best wishes from the Sonnenhof
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here and enjoyed a beautiful room , a magnificent view of the town and mountains, and excellent breakfast and dinners. At the time we were here, there was a music festival with local bands, a military band and school bands which we enjoyed tremendously. We highly recommend Parkhotel Sonnenhof - a great hotel in a beautiful city with friendly people.

Room Tip: Book a room with mountain views and balcony to enjoy!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that everything was to your full satisfaction. Best wishes from Vaduz
Austria
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is located at the top of the hill overlooking Vaduz and basically a long way from anything. Although the walk down to Vaduz is ok it is a killer coming back up the very steep hill and to be honest we were disappointed in Vaduz. There is not much to do, the restaurants are not very good unless you want pizza every night and it is very, very expensive. Not what we were expecting so this started our trip off on the wrong foot!

So we thought we would have to settle for eating at the hotel until we saw the cost. €150 for two people for two courses before wine! That is too much even for Michelin stars. Especially as our suite cost €500 per night. We stayed at a Schloss in Germany which had the same rating and had a lovely meal at a more affordable rate.

Our suite was very nice but no air con (apparently it is not allowed in Liechtenstein ) and a noisy fan was provided but you could not sleep with it on. So it was unbearably hot.

The view from the balcony is stunning as you can see all over the mountains. There was just not enough variety of options for us. Not really the hotels fault but the prices we paid to stay there were just extortionately high and I cannot assess this as good value hence my average rating.

Another example: weeds on the balcony! Not what we expect when we pay so much money.

The hotel does have two ebikes (Flyers) which you can hire and we did do this one day as we had run out of options of things to do. However as enjoyable as these were, again, extortionate prices at €50 per day per bike!

A couple of the staff were very nice but the rest did not seem too bothered about us. In particular the girls serving in the restaurant at breakfast were poor. You had to go and look for them to get drinks, eggs etc! The breakfast buffet was not outstanding - we had a lot better in other places at half the price or less. Twice at reception I had to queue, again not good when you pay so much.

All in all we expected so much more from Vaduz. This tarnished our time at Sonnenhof but my examples of poor service and over pricing are why I have assessed this place as average overall. What a shame. We left feeling we had been ripped off a bit. We won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SnowQueen007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vaduz
Residence Hotel
#3 of 5 in Vaduz
Hotel Kulm
Hotel Kulm
#1 of 1 in Triesenberg

Been to Parkhotel Sonnenhof? Share your experiences!