“A traditional, basic gasthaus” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Landhaus am Giessen

Landhaus am Giessen
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Vaduz
Baltimore, Maryland
“A traditional, basic gasthaus”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The reason I say "traditional" is that this is not a luxury hotel; but it's an excellent choice for a good, comfortable stay.
The pluses:
- Excellent fully-enclosed shower (not the annoying kind with the half-glass where water goes everywhere).
- A nice little balcony.
- Water containers stocked in room (which can be refilled in the lobby)
- Friendly (English-speaking) personnel.
- Walking distance (10-15 min.) to town center and tourist office. Museum was even closer. (Note: you can buy postcards AND stamps at the tourist office, and they will mail them for you.)
-Indoor pool (we didn't use it).
- Good variety at breakfast.
-Free parking and wifi.
- Hairdryer in bathroom and -- a real outlet in the bathroom! (I could use my curling iron!). Guys may not understand the importance of this, but as a woman, I can attest that nearly all hotels in Europe seem to only have the "shavers only" outlet.
- A previous poster commented on the electrical outlets. Yes, there are three prongs, but my 2 prong European 220 adapter worked perfectly in all outlets.

Minuses:
- No a/c. Other posters commented on noise with the windows open, but the night we stayed was quiet.
- If you want a luxurious resort, this is not the place for you. But it's perfect for the traveler who doesn't need (or doesn't want to pay for) extra frills.

I definitely recommend this place if you ever find yourself in Vaduz.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Barbie21144

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Williamstown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

On a 10 day bike trip from Munich to Salzburg to Geneva, my daughter and I found ourselves in Vaduz for a night. We hadn't planned to stop there but it was late in the day and it started to rain so we popped into the tourist office and they directed us to the Landhaus am Giessen-- it was just what we needed: clean, in good shape, friendly, and not too expensive. Plus, it was just a short distance from the center so could walk to dinner. Nice.

Here's a room tip: if you like to keep your windows open at night (like we do) then ask for a room that faces away from the street. We were struck by how the traffic (which wasn't too heavy) lasted well past midnight. It surprised us: traffic in Vaduz? Really? But there you have it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TCWilliamstown
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is a very nice and clean hotel – no bells and whistles. In my review I'll try to hit on all the standard aspects of the hotel:

Positives:

-LOCATION: The hotel is about a 8-10 minute walk to the center of Vaduz.
-ROOM: The room was pretty generous, size-wise. It had a small sitting area, plus a balcony with a view of the castle. Full bathroom included.
-INTERNET: The hotel offers free wi-fi.
-BREAKFAST: The hotel offers free breakfast. It mostly consists of meats, cheeses and bread. Plus coffee and juice, of course.
-ELECTRICAL OUTLET NEAR MIRROR: Unlike most European hotels, this hotel has a mirror with nearby electrical outlets, making it easy to use a curling iron or hair straightener.
-SERVICE: The front desk staff were quite lovely and accommodating. I’m not sure if it’s a family run business, but it sure feels like it.

Things to work on:

-STYLE: No amazing style to speak of. It feels pretty basic.
-NOISE LEVEL: Since Liechtenstein doesn’t permit air conditioning, in the summer months, you may find yourself wanting to open the windows. If you do so, plan to bring ear plugs, because there is a nearby church that plays loud chimes every 15 minutes. The chimes on the hour are sometimes laughingly long. At 6am, the chimes last for 6 minutes. I am not joking. With ear plugs, I was fine. I was also fine with the windows closed. Just plan accordingly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kylin M
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at Landhaus am Giessen for one night during my motorcycle tour across the Alps. The hotel is located in Vaduz, just a few minutes' walk to the city centre. Ample guest parking is provided on the site, and I left my motorbike right next to the entrance. I was welcomed by the proprietress, who was very respectful and helpful, and she spoke English fluently.

Even though the hotel has only two floors, there is an elevator, which was very convenient. There was also a swimming pool and a sauna at guests' disposal, but unfortunately I had not taken my swimming trunks with me, so I did not check out these facilities.

My room was spacious and clean. It was decorated in a simple yet elegant style. There was a big balcony with a view to the castle. A nice detail was a bottle of carbonated water with refills available at any time at the lobby.

The breakfast buffet was pretty much to my liking. There was a good selection of different kinds of bread, cheese, cold cuts, cereals, yoghurt, juices and hot drinks.

I was pleased with my stay at this hotel. It was quite pricey, but I guess this is normal in Liechtenstein.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BlackXJ6
London, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here for one night during a road trip through the Alps. Nice friendly check-in. We arrived at suppertime on a Saturday and, thankfully, they had a room available. I thought the price was a little high but everything is quite expensive in this part of Europe. All of the restaurants and stores close by 6 pm on Saturday, so our food options were kind of limited. We found a pizzeria open so we got a take-out pizza and took it back to the hotel. As mentioned in other reviews, the balcony was very nice and afforded a lovely view of the area. Pool was really a nice surprise, and breakfast was good. Overall, a friendly and very clean hotel. I liked the rustic furniture in the room, it added to the whole alpine adventure. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the street and apparently the rooms facing the other way are a little quieter...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Within walking distance to the center of town, this roadside Inn, offers
basic accommodation. There is a lovely view from the balcony of Vaduz
Castle and surrounding mountains. The room had simple furnishings.
Breakfast was plentiful and included in room price. The indoor swimming
pool was a nice surprise. Also free parking at the hotel. Staff, very good.
Overall, a good choice for Vaduz.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the castle.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here with a friend on 19th May for 1 night. We are 30yr old females and travelled to Vaduz to see if there was anything there.... there was not much, if anything. There was a castle but we didn't make it up the hill...

Language here is Swiss German but they're officially called Liechtensteiners. Restaurant & service staff speak English.

We went to Vaduz from Sargans train station - very easy and cost 5.80CHF - also payable in Euro.
Catch the #12 Buchs bus from Sargans train station. We didn't go to a designated stop as such.... we just saw the #12 bus, waved at it and the driver stopped for us.
I recommend getting off at Spital stop - the bus announces each stop before stopping so u can't miss it.
Head south down Heilingkrauz to the roundabount and turn right onto Zoltstrasse. It took about 30-40mins all up from Sargans. Not a stressful walk at all. The place is so quiet and small, it's hard to get lost.

We were greeted by Hanni, whose English was near perfect.
There is a 2 person lift for patrons with big luggage.
The rooms are of decent size but the beds are singles.
There's a small balcony with turf-like carpet & 2 plastic chairs (unfortunately broken)
We had a room with North view - the castle and the church being restored with the Swiss Alps off in the distance.
A 2-seater breakfast table and a TV cabinet. (Never sat on it or watched TV)
The bathroom is functional. It feels like it has underfloor heating (amazing with barefeet on a midnight toilet run) but apparently it's just warmth from the piping.
No notable problems with water temp or pressure.
There is a wall mounted hair dryer for the ladies.
There is a heated pool on the ground floor that closes when Hanni goes home ~8pm
Breakfast is very European - breads, pastries, ham & salami, hard & soft cheeses, jams, packet pate & Nutella, coffee, tea.

About 15-20min walk to the town centre there are heaps of restaurants and shops.
The castle overlooks the town. I think I read somewhere that the King lives there so it's not a museum and you can only look through the gates.
I also read somewhere else that there's more to do in Schaan even though Vaduz is the capital.

I found this place quite cute and warm unlike how some hotels who try to be too uber modern and contemporary. It was very B&B-like.

I would definitely stay here again.

Safe travels.

Room Tip: North view is good so you get a view of the castle
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nat K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vaduz
Residence Hotel
#2 of 4 in Triesen
Gasthof Loewen
Gasthof Loewen
#5 of 5 in Vaduz

Been to Landhaus am Giessen? Share your experiences!