“Try again”
Review of Chez Gigi

Chez Gigi
Cuisines: French
Reviewed September 5, 2017 via mobile

Having been talked into revisiting yhis restaurant once again l can only say, well ok, food is ok but overpriced. It is now in a chain of three restaraunts. I assume tha aim was to have a brasserie style place, but it misses the mark, rather go for a pizza at the top of the hill

1  Thank togsontour

Reviewed July 29, 2017

We had heard that the food was very average last year so didn't both going but this year one or two people had said the food was okay so we decided to chance it. Not a good decision, we had barely ordered when the food arrived (not even time to drink an apero!), it's obviously mass prepared and just shoved on a plate when the order pops in. I asked for a different sauce but the meal just came as on the menu, horrid red wine sauce all over my piece of steak - yuk. Fries were luke warm. Pork dish was insipid as was the local fish dish. The carafe of red wine was good though. Service was very friendly but it just felt like a fast food joint but with less taste.

2  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed September 5, 2016 via mobile

We've been regulars to the affectionately named duck and chips - or chez Gigi for quite a few years but it has now changed hands. We've been twice in the last couple of months but it has lost its charm. Our Last visit was a lunchtime booking for 9 and yet again the food was just ok and quite expensive. Shame as we do love this location.

Reviewed August 31, 2016 via mobile

Last year we reviewed this restaurant and gave it 5 stars. This year we can only give it 1 star, very disappointing and we therefore withdraw our recommendation. We will not be returning.

2  Thank davidshar
Reviewed August 18, 2016

We have been visiting this restaurant several times a year for the past ten years and never been disappointed until tonight.The restaurant has been taken over by a new owner and sadly standards have dropped in respect of service ,choice of food on the menu and now the unavailability of being able to purchase a pichet of wine instead of a full bottle.
Unfortunately we hadn't read the reviews prior to this evening but if we had, we would have gone elsewhere.
We were shown to a table indoors - no problem comfortable enough , some new furnishings. We were given a drinks menu but no one came to ask for our order until 25 mins later when we were asked what we had chosen to eat.We explained that our drinks order hadn't been taken yet so after the 25 mins wait that was eventually sorted out.It wasn't very busy in the restaurant at the time, in fact we have seen more people there on a cold February evening during midweek.
The menus are written on a chalk board( which is carried indoors and out) are very limited in choice. For instance. the 20 euro set menu had a choice of 3 starters,3 main courses (2 of which were fish) and 3 desserts (2 of which were strawberry based and 1 apricot tart).
Three of our party ordered from the 20 euro menu and I ordered just a main course off the a la carte menu.The waitress appeared to be very flustered and seemed unable to take the order properly (this was not due to any language difficulties) . Consquently, we were not surprised when our food order was served incorrectly, and brought to the table before the starter plates had been cleared away. There was no steak from the a la carte - instead it was a fish dish that no one had ordered.This meant I ended up without a meal whilst the rest of our party ate. The waiter who had served the food was quite rude when we explained the problem and went off in a huff to sort out my order. When he appeared a few minutes later it was obvious that the meat had n't been cooked as I had ordered and I called for his attention to point this out.He wasn't at all surprised it was wrong - I suspect he knew the order was for someone else. Two minutes later my meal appeared again but was still not cooked the way I wanted it but I was so fed up by now I gave up and just ate the fries as everyone else had finished their meal and I was feeling extremely embarrassed and upset by the whole situation.For me the meat was inedible as I had specifically asked on each occasion for it to be well cooked and it was still oozing blood.
When the plates were cleared we expressed our dissatisfaction with the whole experience and were rudely told it was our fault for not asking for the food to be cooked again for longer a second time! .He could not appreciate that the whole episode had been a shambles and offered no apologies.
When the bill arrived I was quite dismayed that I had been charged nearly 13 euros for a plate of fries and a bit of lettuce!
My husband told the waiter that this was the worst experience we have had at this restaurant to which he just shrugged his shoulders!
Needless to say we won't be visiting again in the foreseeable future.