“Crossroads Pub is forest setting is a gem” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hatch Inn

The Hatch Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
County Cork, Ireland
“Crossroads Pub is forest setting is a gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

In my quest for an authentic old English tavern it was suggested that I should visit The Hatch Inn while in East Sussex. The journey to the hamlet of Coleman's Hatch is via a country road through Ashdown Forest. Roadside signs warn of wandering deer, eyes glint in the woods as headlights tease out the route through the unmarked tree lined road. Suddenly there it is, a cross roads with a pub in what appears to be the middle of nowhere.

First impression of the brightly lit tavern was 'this is it'. Clinker wood construction of the upper floor with its Tudor style windows and low profile gave testimony to caring owners who have preserved this architectural legacy. The front yard suggests an old style farmyard with vehicles strategically parked to prevent it being used casually as parking.

The entrance door requires a slight dip of the head as you enter the low ceiling bar area. Inside is the real thing. Here locals chatted as they lounged on wooden benches and supped pints of ale. This may sound fanciful but it was as I found it. I felt tempted to join, that international beers would be inappropriate and so I bought a Larkin's Ale. The fact that I am not much enamored with either English Mild or Bitter was neither here n'or there, it just seemed appropriate.

Sitting at a scrubbed wooden table I was surprised that the adjoining room was laid out as a dining area. I really could not see how they could fit a kitchen and two dining areas as well as a bar into this modestly sized building. I was not aware that the Inn was an eatery and as I had eaten earlier did not partake.

Pint in hand I studied the pictures in the wall as I walked on the springy floor with the ceiling little more than a foot above my modest height. Locals took no notice of the curious stranger just getting on with entertaining themselves. I absorbed the atmosphere and felt well pleased that I had found such a place.

• Visited February 2013

tunbridge wells
“lunch with school friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

A warm welcome and the pleasant lunch was well cooked and tasty. A few green veg would have been appreciated with the rich belly pork. We had a wait for the lunchtime meal to arrive but it was worth it. Puddings were tasty and coffee hot and plentiful. Would certainly visit again and have recommended it to friends.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Crowborough, United Kingdom
“Lack of Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Took me ages to get served and then the barmaid got my order wrong. Not at all friendly, in fact I got the impression I was not welcome, they only seemed interested in serving people who were buying food, not just have a drink - won't be going back.

Bromley, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

After a recent trip to 'The Hatch Inn' I found that the warm welcome extended to meat eaters is not present for vegetarians. 'The Hatch Inn' requests that you contact them ahead of your visit if you have special dietary requirements. I find this to be exclusive and unhelpful. I arrived at 'The Hatch Inn' without having planned the trip, and so was very disappointed to find a menu which offered next to nothing for me to eat, and on closer inspection the apparent vegetarian options, were not suitable for vegetarians.
'The Hatch Inn' has the potential to be excellent, however in my opinion more effort needs to be made to accommodate all customers needs without the need for prior warning. I did contact the proprietor directly with my feedback, unfortunately he became personal with his insults, which is unacceptable.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Diana C
nicksand, Owner at The Hatch Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Diana
Thank you for your much appreciated & diluted comments concerning your recent visit. Please accept that your previous review was suspended from Tripadvisor due to the very personal verbal attack on my Chef. We do our utmost to accommodate all visitors to the Hatch and as a result we operate an extremely successful business. Vegetarians are very welcome & are NOT required to contact us prior to visiting. As you agreed in your email to my chef, your lunch choice on the day was a soup. Many soups contain meat stocks, the item was not advertised as vegetarian & therefore you should have checked with your waitress or bar manager prior to ordering. Finally, the constructive elements of your criticism are noted & will be acted on.
Derby, United Kingdom
“Cosy pub with excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed a beautiful meal here, the staff are welcoming and friendly and the food was presented well and delicious with a good menu which I believe changes regularly with seasonal produce. Whilst I'm not a vegetarian I felt the menu wasn't veggie friendly, the only real vegetarian starter and main both featured goats cheese... I thoroughly enjoyed my goats cheese starter but it wouldn't offer a veggie much choice for their main! Overall though really lovely place

1 Thank TillyOnHoliday