“top drawer - every time”

Cafe Restaurant Bodega
Ranked #42 of 832 Restaurants in Luxembourg City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I go here regularly, with colleagues, friends, family, or as a couple, for steak. They serve a variety of different cuts and meats, including horse, but I will typically go for the fillet. It's much cheaper than at cafetin de buenos aires, and the quality is not so much noticeably less.

They also serve a very good paella, for a minimum of two people, and you have to order that in advance - so call ahead to make a reservation (recommended) and order that at the time, if you've decided it's what you want.

Back to the steaks: The filet is listed on the menu as coming with a pepper sauce, however they don't tell you what other sauces are available. You can of course order it plain without sauce, or with a garlic, bearnaise, or sometimes even a blue cheese sauce - depending on what's available on the day. Just ask!

Starters are very good, tapas style including garlic mushrooms, or calamari, etc. They also bring out complementary chorizo slices with fluffy bread, which is delightful. You'll then get a little salad to start off, and the steaks are served with a big bowl of chips (french fries) on the side.

Of course the typical drink of choice for steak, is red wine. Their house wine 'vin parton rouge' is just the ticket, and is very drinkable. Only once were we served a bottle that was not called 'la bodega' and that's the only time we were slightly disappointed (but did not let it go to waste, obviously). What's more, it's just 13 euro per bottle, which for Luxembourg restaurant prices is nigh on unbeatable.

As with any steak, the cut can vary in size, but again, i've only been left still feeling hungry on one occasion. It's worth going back time and time again, even with that risk. It's just the luck of the draw.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I try and get here at least once a month, I nearly always get the steak, sometimes the scampi. I have never been disappointed, the fillet steak is for me one if the best in Luxembourg, staff are friendly and atmosphere is cosy and nice.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My friends and I went to Bodega for dinner on a Friday night.
My friend ordered the beef filet with pepper sauce.
When our meal arrived, we quickly realized that his meat was smelling and tasting really bad. A horrible putrid smell.
We called the waiter and complained and he didn't look surprised at all. He didn't even apologize.
They served us a meat that was rotten, which could have made my friend really sick and it didn't even look like an accident.
Never going back there again.

4  Thank MacMac19
Reviewed July 26, 2013

You do want to be on the second floor and you do need reservations. Not much English spoken here and no English menus...but it was great. The cod and scampi were good, but the whole grilled Dorade fish was spectacular. (Wish I had seen the horse steak, i would have tried that also.)

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I visited the restaurant during lunchtime with a group of Asian friends. The waiter took ten minutes to inform me that the fish I ordered was unavailable. So I changed my order to another fish dish. The fish that was eventually served was not too bad but a tad to dry when served with rice. The rump steak that my friends ordered, however, was undercooked (more like medium rare when the customer wanted it medium) and the texture was too tough. The service was horribly discriminatory! We had arrived earlier and had our orders taken before another group of diners. But their food was served first. We only got our starters after the later group had their mains served and that was after I told the waiter we were rushing to the airport! I am totally disappointed by the poor service my friends and I encountered here.