“Lost my excitement for this place”

RESTAURANT MOUSEL'S CANTINE
Ranked #139 of 806 Restaurants in Luxembourg City
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Went here shortly after moving to Lux and really fell in love with the place. We said we'd bring all our visitors here for a true Lux experience. Fast forward a few months and we go back with an out-of-town visitor. Walk in at 8:30 on a Friday and the place is half empty - we were flat-out told there was no room. Okay, I get it - people have tables reserved, and they'll sit at them for the next three hours. But I have a hard time believing they couldn't accommodate three people. Anyway...

Went back a couple weeks ago - this time armed with reservations. Same time - 8:30 PM. And the place never filled in. Interesting.

I'd go here for one thing - the pork shoulder. It's their specialty, and honestly everything else I could take or leave. And even that can be found elsewhere (maybe not in Lux, but I've seen people eating it in German restaurants nearby). But, if you're in Lux and craving a pork shoulder make your reservation and head down - it is delicious. I think they could replace the beans they serve with it with something a little more exciting - they were pretty blah. But the potatoes and kraut were great - as was the unfiltered beer.

I've never found any of the staff to be particularly friendly - which I guess is something very Luxembourgish about the place.

After living here a while I just don't think Mousel's is really as special as I once believed...

1  Thank NYC_ADK83

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Cute nice restaurants. Famous of delicious seafood. Loved my 2 course dinner plus desert - strawberry salad.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a meat and potato kind of place. Go here expecting traditional fair with unfiltered beer or a huge pork shoulder. Not fancy, nor beautiful this place is good for solid, non-sophisticated food. I recommend going if you want an insight into some true Luxembourg traditional dishes.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I went here last night and had the selection of Luxembourgish dishes and the pork knuckle. So. Much. Food. It's comes with Sauerkraut, beans and amazing potatoes. You will never eat it all. Definitely try the unfiltered local beer too. A great experience of true Luxembourgish food.

1  Thank Tracy B
Reviewed January 13, 2013

went there saturday night. We were 4 people. We had 1 salad, 2 mignon de porc, 1 bouchee a la reine, 2 bottles of wine (Faugeres la Closeraie, excellent!), water and coffee; the food was good and abundant; the service welcoming; the athmosfere warm; we were in the main room downstairs, and also took a look at the small semi-private room on the side, with frescos on the ceiling: a very intimate room indeed, but you need to book it for a group (maybe 12 people?);
I could see on other tables enormous portions of meat, especially jambonnau and jarret de porc; it looked attractive and you get a lot; better make sure you come here if you're really hungry; not a place for vegetarians! Our bill averaged at 35 EUR pp (one dish each + wine); not very expensive, but also not cheap; I'll go back there to introduce foreign visitors to the Luxemburgish cuisine.

1  Thank pietro b