“Great location and place to feel home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Luxembourg City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Steenokkerzeel, Belgium
“Great location and place to feel home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

The Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal offers, high standard accommodation, superb service and an excellent location with an unsurpassed view of the city of Luxembourg. What to expect more? Well as a frequent guest I do really feel at home with staff who recognise you when you walk into the lobby and who will make certain you feel home and each stay will go out of theri way to address all your needs. It is really a wonderful place to stay

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Jean,

Thank you for this value and positive feed back from a frequent guest. I am happy to read that you "really feel at home with staff who recognise you when you walk into the lobby and who will make certain you feel home and each stay will go out of theri way to address all your needs".

I am looking for to welcome you back once again in your home in Luxembourg.

My best regards,

Au revoir
Fernando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Krakow, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

The sofitel can be seen as one of the best hotels in Luxembourg. It just offers such unique service with an even greater variety of perfectly furnished rooms. The hotel is central and not to far away from the train station, thus allowing a stress free journey.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear florina d,

We are very pleased to read that you consider us as one of the best hotels in Luxembourg and like to thank you for this wonderful comment.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future

Kind regards,
Uberaba, MG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

When I came into the room it was: WOW... then I opened the bathroom door and WOW, from the toilette seat: WOW. This corner room has huge windows and impressive views over the Old City and the Valley from everywhere! On top of that are the very good free WiFi, the Nespresso, and to my suprise, complimentary minibar. Why haven't other hotels thought of complimentary minibars before? It is a nice treat and I'm sure not at great expense to the hotel. (You feel a lot happier when your can of coke is complimentary than when they charge you 10 Euros for that!)

I would certainly return to the Sofitel Le Grand Ducal!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the valley are really worth the splurge
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RodrigoHueb
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are impressed by your WOW comment! We are very pleased that your stay excedeed your expectations especially concerning the room and its various amenities!

We look forward to welcoming you soon and it is our hope to offer you a memorable experience as the previous one.

Best regards,
San Zenone degli Ezzelini, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

As hard traveller, I pay high attention to the quality and details of my hotel accomodation.
This is my second time in this hotel.
Beautifully room, excellent cool design, comfortable soft bed, very clean, as uasual at Sofitel.
High attention to every single detail.
Free minibar, Nespresso, Wi-Fi.
Perfect breakfast place and food at the 8th floor.
The location not bed, just at walking distance from the center.
I suggest to everybody, for business and for pleasure. Enjoy it !

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to tell us about your second stay at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay especially the room and its amenities.

As you are a hard traveller, I would like to recommend you our brand new offer at the Bar Lounge Coco Mango: "Snacking Chic and trendy food" for lunch and "Great food on the move" for evening. They both offer premium products to eat on the run (Jamon Bellota 5J, caviar, premium burgers...).

Once again thank you for sharing your comments. I look forward to welcoming you soon in Luxembourg!

Best regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Luxembourg is a jewel. A beautiful city blending past, present and future with such style.
The hotel is clean and modern. The rooms are spacious. What's not to love? The room temp. Hey it's an extremely personal thing but we like things a little cooler at night. Walking distance from city center and quick cab to modern shopping malls and restaurants.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am more than happy to read a beautiful comment like yours and I will definitely share it with all my team as an encouragement.

I shall take note of your comments concerning the temperature to improve your next stay and to offer you a memorable experience!

I look forward to welcoming you soon.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Me and my girlfriend had an excellent stay here. Great location as its only a 15 min drive from the airport and a 10 min walk into the centre of Luxembourg. We stayed in a suite with a view over the valley (and unfortunately part of a construction site, although this did not really affect the stay) and we only paid a tiny fraction of the EUR1120 per night rate advertised at the hotel thanks to a great deal on Expedia. The suite was spacious and had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! There were parts of the room though that were dusty, so not sure how well it was cleaned.

Unfortunately, this hotel only has the one, rather overpriced restaurant. It would have been nice to have a more relaxed restaurant with a wide variety on the menu. The restaurant was very nice, but very formal. Not the sort of place you want to go to have a relaxing meal after a long day of walking around the city. There were only 3 options on the menu for each section and all of them had rather odd combinations. As for the price, it cost us EUR99 for 2 main courses and 2 glasses of one of the cheaper wines on the menu. While the food was very nice, I have had a lot better in top restaurants for a fraction of that price. To make things worse, half way through the meal, the DJ started in the bar next to the restaurant and all you could hear was the thud of the bass and the tables in the restaurant vibrating. Not what you expect from such a high-priced restaurant.

To end on a positive, the staff were very friendly and helpful. They provided us with everything we needed with no fuss. If I visited the city again, I would stay there again, but only at the heavily discounted rate that I received this time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review on Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. Your comments are highly appreciated and will allow us to continually improve our service. I will definitely share them among my team.

Concerning our Restaurant L'Etoile, I would like to inform you that due to some unscheduled works in the kitchen during this week, we only offer the room-service menu to our guests. Nevertheless, I totally understand your feeling, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for this unforeseen event.

Do not hesitate to discover our brand new food offer at our Bar Lounge Coco Mango if you are looking for something more original. We are actually launching a new offer composed of a large variety of premium finger food (caviar, salmon...) and our classics (Club Sandwich, Burgers...).

I look forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal and it is my hope to offer you a perfect stay and a memorable experience.

With my best regards,
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

The hotel is visually beautiful but the service needs a major overhaul. The room and bathroom are spacious with a separate toilet. Although, the shower is not private. I am not sure why hotels think that someone wants to be on display when they are taking a shower. It is a bit odd.

Lets start with my reservation. I contacted the hotel when I saw a promo rate that was lower than my booking rate. The hotel said I could cancel my former reservation and rebook the room at the new but lower rate. I made an error and booked the room for exactly a month later. The hotel received and confirmed receipt of the reservation. They apparently, noticed the different date but said nothing. The concierge told me that people make multiple reservations all the time. Is he kidding? He made my dinner reservation for January and didn't think to say btw, your hotel reservation is in February? If this was the only issue, it would be one thing but it wasn't.

Then the concierge told me about two museums and printed information about the museums except they were closed on Mondays. When I told him the museums were closed on Mondays, he then argued with me that they weren't. They were. This is a concierge in a five star hotel. Knowing when the museums are closed in a city with only a few museums seems pretty elementary.

My wake up call was never made because no one put it on the list. I thankfully, use my cell as a back-up.

I wanted to book a tour of Castle Vianden but was told there were no tours. Somehow tourist information was able to book a private guide. The concierge again seemed clueless.

The front desk comped my breakfast because of the various issues which seemed very nice except they told no one and there was no record of it being comped. When I arrived at breakfast, they had no knowledge that breakfast was comped. In the dining room, I was told that my breakfast was not comped. I was mortified. I had to trudge downstairs and there was no record downstairs. More time was wasted trying to resolve my comped breakfast. The person behind the desk finally, figured out who comped the breakfast. At this point, I was so annoyed that the comped breakfast was irrelevant. The breakfast btw, is unbelievable and really delicious. One of the best hotel breakfasts that I have ever had. It is very lavish with exotic fruits and just fabulous.

There was not one aspect of my stay that went off without a hitch. There is a huge disconnect with the hotel. The location is also not very centrally located.

I would not recommend this hotel unless they resolve the service issues.

Room Tip: If you are sharing a room with someone, inquire if the shower is private if that will be an issue...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Intrepidtraveler53
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.