“One in a lifetime experience!”

Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Luxembourg City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rees, Germany
“One in a lifetime experience!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I can highly recommend you to book this business hotel on a weekend since the rates are then more affordable. The bar at the 8 floor is perfect for a sunset drink and the entire staff is 100% friendly and speak several languages. We did not have breakfast there since it is very expensive 30 Euro but the room was excellent and the location just some 5 minutes from the city. Enjoy it.

Room Tip: We had the basic room and it was already a luxury one. The coffee machine wa dirty though.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay especially the Coco Mango Lounge Bar and the professionalism of the staff.

At Sofitel we strive to provide the best service experience; therefore your feedback is essential to us. Please, rest assured that I will definitely share all this beautiful comment among my team as an encouragement.

Thank you once again. I look forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal and it is my hope to offer you a perfect stay and a memorable experience as the previous one.

With my best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Grand Ducal several times recently. While the hotel is not in the center of the old city, it is across the gorge and just a 10 minute walk away. It's also just a 10 minute walk in the opposite direction to the main train station.

The rooms are very nice and extremely comfortable. The room layout is a bit odd with the toilet next to the front door and the glass shower essentially in the middle of the room. However, I find the layout more interesting than annoying. Rooms are quiet and you'll get a good night's sleep.

The top floor bar and restaurant have great views of the city. There is a spacious parking garage under the hotel for easy parking.

This is my favorite hotel in Luxembourg City.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank texmln
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review on the Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal! Your compliments are highly appreciated and I will definitely share them among my team as an encouragement.

Thank you once again for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I look forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal and it is my hope to offer you a perfect stay and a memorable experience as the previous one.

Monterey, California
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We assumed that with its #2 rating on tripadvisor and its high prices the Sofitel would have things figured out. That was not our experience, and we cut short our stay as a result.

It was not because of the construction which has practically eliminated the hotel's entrance, for you could forego the view and stay on the back side as we did. Nor was it the staff, who were uniformly attentive and polite. And it wasn't because of the over the top buffet breakfast (papayas and lychees in Luxembourg in October!)

Instead the following were issues for us:
- despite repeated assurances that the air conditioning worked, it didn't, never falling below 23 degrees, and of course the windows don't open, the only hotel we have found in a month where they don't;
- the unusual witness testimony box of a shower would have been great if it hadn't leaked so much;
- the bed is extremely soft with a high hard ridge in the middle; and
- parking was very expensive (€35 for 24 hours.)

We were looking forward to a first class stay and didn't get it, despite the Sofitel's high prices.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brad N
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for considering the Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal for your stay in Luxembourg. I am pleased to read that you particularly enjoyed the breakfast buffet with its large variety of exotic fruits and the professionalism of the staff.

Nevertheless, I am disappointed that your stay did not meet all your expectations and I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you met.

Concerning the air-conditioning and the shower, our Technical Manager has been informed and will take the appropriate measures to prevent future occurence. Thank you for taking the time to adress us these inconveniences. The issues are now targeted and will be quickly resolved.

Our Executive Housekeeper has been informed too of the inconvenience you met with your bed and will make a complete verification of the rooms.

Concerning the rate of the parking, we have unfortunately no influence on it. Indeed, it is a public parking and the rates are decided by the town. Nevertheless, our Concierge Cesar will be delighted to help you with any request or question you may have.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and I am looking forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. It is my hope to recover your trust and your whole satisfaction.

Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in October 2013.

The hotel is clean and furnished to a high standard. It is a five minute walk from the station and a ten/fifteen minute walk into the city centre.

The room was nice and spacious with a good view over Valle de la Petrusse. The mini-bar was free but it containing no alcohol (still a nice gesture though).

We didn't eat at the hotel but we did visit the bar on the eighth floor and it was amazing. The view was spectacular, the barmen took their jobs very seriously and there was a decent choice of drinks. It was expensive but in-line with the rest of the city. Definitely a highlight of the hotel.

All-in-all a very good hotel. One word of caution though - the car-park below the hotel (although not a part of it) was prohibitively expensive (thirty five euros per day). However at weekends there are areas near the hotel where you can park on the street for free, and the concierge even offered to park the car for us and retrieve it at a later time, which was very nice!

Room Tip: A high floor over looking the valley.
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. Your compliments are highly appreciated especially your compliments about the Coco Mango Lounge Bar.

As information, the Coco Mango Lounge Bar, specialized in cocktail preparation, suggests each month a specific cocktail and hosts a DJ every Friday and Saturday nights.

Concerning the car-park you are absolutely right. It is a public car-park and we have unfortunately no influence on the rates. Nevertheless our Concierge is always pleased to take care of your car or simply to help you for any request or help you may have.

Thank you again for all these beautiful comments. I look forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Sofitel Grand-Ducal is very well situated, minutes away from the historic centre. The hotel in itself is impeccable: very well designed, extremely comfortable beds and very helpful staff. The rooms are very well equipped and the shower cabin (equipped with normal and rain shower) is perfect. Nothing is left to chance and even an experienced traveller like me couldn't find any flaws.
Special mention to the breakfast buffet, one of the best I have ever seen.
If I am pushed to find a negative point, I would say that the prices are a tad exaggerated: 22 euros for a plate of plain tagliatelle without sauce is a bit pricey, even if it was impeccably served.
I will definitely visit again if I go back to Luxembourg.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room on the second floor at the back of the hotel and it was extremely quiet.
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for you kind review on the Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. It is a real pleasure to receive beautiful comments like yours!

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel especially your breakfast with its variety and quality.

I will definitely share all these compliments among my team as an encouragement.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. It is my hope to offer you once again a perfect stay and a memorable experience.

Beausoleil, Monaco
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We both did not sleep well as airco in room was not able to cool even when set on 15 degrees.

breakfast was very nice. Tidiness and friendlyness of staff was really excellent.

Locations is ok as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank Peter O. C
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for considering the Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal for your stay in Luxembourg. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay especially the breakfast and the kindness of the staff.

Concerning the inconvenience you met with the air-conditioning, please, allow us to express our sincerest apologies. Our Technical Manager has been informed and will take the appropriate measures to prevent future occurence.

Thank you once again for sharing your concerns. I look forward to welcoming you soon and it is my hope to offer you a memorable experience.

With my best regards,
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed for two nights recently. The hotel is situated just outside the centre overlooking the City, close to everything about a 5 - 10 minute walk. The hotel is very modern and the rooms kitted out to high standard. The room had a complimentary mini bar (soft drinks only) and a coffee machine. The beds were very comfortable and we both enjoyed a very good nights sleep. We opted for the buffet breakfast on both days, @ 29 euros each. A little pricey but hey this is Luxembourg where things are little pricey anyway ! We weren't inconvenienced by the road works outside the hotel which look like they are dealing with issues the road bridge.

The staff were very friendly and attentive.

All in all a great place to stay, ignore the comments about the roadworks, not an issue, unless your going to sit looking at the front of the hotel !

Look forward to staying here again when we return to Luxembourg in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind review on the Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. It is always a pleasure to receive beautiful comments like yours!

Your compliments about the amenities in your room are highly appreciated. I will definitely share them with my team as an encouragement.

Thank you once again for sharing your concerns. I look forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal and it is my hope to offer you a memorable experience as the previous one.

With my best regards,