1,824 results
All reviews top floor old town glass shower rain shower rooftop bar hermes toiletries floor restaurant complimentary mini bar no alcohol nespresso machine petrusse valley across the bridge sofitel luxembourg luxury hotel rooms are modern beautiful room valet parking
Selected filters
Reviewed August 26, 2012

On arriving outside the hotel by car, my son and I were met by a friendly member of staff, who offered to park my car in the hotel car park and to bring our luggage to the room. The room was spacious, had a great view, with a free minibar and Wifi.

The breakfast room is on the top floor, with fabulous views across the city. The breakfast choice is very wide and the food was beautifully prepared.

When we checked out, our car was brought to the front door with our luggage packed inside. We were also given complimentary bottles of mineral water for our journey.

One of the best that I have used and for a price that may pleasantly surprise you.

Trip type: Traveled with family
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We booked to stay here for a city break on a drive back from Germany to the UK. The hotel had glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, and we were not to be disappointed!

There were roadworks underway outside of the hotel, so our arrival was a little delayed as we tried to negotiate where we could stop the car to unload our luggage. But a porter helped us, and then parked our car in the underground car park for us.

The room was amazing. We didn't get a view, but considering that the best view is from the restaurant and hotel bar, we weren't bothered about that. The bathroom was a little quirky, and not for prudes, as the shower cubicle (although made from frosted glass) was practically in the bedroom itself! So this wouldn't work if you were sharing a double bed with a friend or parent.

There were free soft drinks in the hotel mini-bar, free wi-fi, Hermes toiletries in the bathroom, espresso machine, robes and slippers. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we both had two great nights sleep there.

The breakfast buffet was lovely. I was accommodated with a pot of green tea, and there was a big selection of all that you would expect to see on a continental breakfast buffet, with the addition of pancakes, waffles and maple syrup to accommodate guests from North America. It really is a lovely way to start the day; great food and a superb view over the city.

We had a drink in the hotel bar and were shocked by the prices; much more expensive than anything else we came across in Luxembourg City. I was also unimpressed that it wasn't non-smoking. We decided to eat out as the restaurant appeared to be very quiet. It was a Tuesday night though, perhaps it is more vibrant during the weekend.

My husband was impressed with the gym, and the complimentary bottles of vitamin water there. On check-out, our car was returned to us with bottles of mineral water already in it for the onward journey. We will definitely return if we are passing through Luxembourg again.

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank maidenvoyager
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I travel quite a lot and I’m not one of those on TripAdvisor who applaud a hotel for having a concierge that can actually point towards the city centre.

But I will tell you this: after having stayed and stayed and stayed at Sofitel Le Grand Ducal over the past three years, both on business and pleasure, I have really only two-three negatives that I want to share with you:

- Volatile housekeeping: you must be a lottery winner to see someone actually vacuuming the carpet. During my last stay, in June 2012, I found coins next to the TV and under the dining table from the last guest. Five days later, they were still there, along with some chocolate paper, also from the last guest. On the other hand, they polish the bathrooms, mirrors, surfaces etc with immaculate intensity and always put in new towels etc, so it’s not that housekeeping is lax either. It’s just volatile.

- Unlike other Sofitel hotels, there is no pay-TV and the internet connection is rather slow.

- And yes, few of the staff speak well English.

Apart from that, as long as you try to speak a bit French and put in some good mood where language skills fail, you will have a blast with the flash modern hotel design, swift but welcoming Luxembourgish hospitality, green valley surroundings, close proximity to everything (no pun intended), nice French food, quick room service, actually quick everything service, and spacious rooms (go for the corner junior suites if your budget allows it).

Ah, and yes, when you head back to the airport, go for the younger taxi drivers outside. They love to speed you on the old road (backside) in their brand new cars, whereas the older generation often insists that you travel on the highway (which is a much longer trip). If you travel on business and plan on coming back, pay the younger drivers the same as you would if they took the highway (around 40 EUR even if you can get away with EUR 25); after all, time is money.

Room tip: Go for the corner junior suites with valley view but not on the 7th floor (just below the discotheque upstairs)
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank JEM M
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed for a weekend for a quick getaway. A great rate was secured directly from the Sofitel site...I am sure weekend pricing is much better than the week as Luxembourg gets pretty quiet after Friday. We drove into Luxembourg and noticed some construction around the hotel, but it is easy enough to find the parking garage that is basically behind the hotel...convenient and you can pay inside the hotel. Or, there is valet.

Lobby is fantastically modern and the reception was very friendly...anticipating our need for a map and explaining popular spots, etc. They also wished my girlfriend and I a happy anniversary and there was a chilled bottle of champagne in the room. This was really a great start...

The room...big, clean and bright. All the interior appointments were well done, comfortable and clean clean clean. The bathroom was very modern and spacious, the shower huge with great water pressure and I really liked the free minibar and Nespresso. Nice towels, bathrobes, etc made for a comfortable stay in the room after walking around in the heat. Good toiletries with more than your standard soap, lotion, etc. There is free wifi which was always fast. Also, great air conditioning.

We explored the hotel briefly and there is a small fitness center which looked ok for business travelers. No pool that I could find even though one site may have mistakenly placed a picture of one. The top floor bar was closed for some renovation, but the restaurant for breakfast was fantastic if not a bit pricey. Still, the food quality and selection were great. Everything in the hotel looks modern...from the hallways to the restaurant, to the lobby...it's almost W-esque.

The hotel location is wonderful with about a 10-15 minute walk to the downtown via one of the main bridges. A grocery exists around the corner and there are some easy spots for a croissant and coffee nearby.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel. Great friendly service, nice style and CLEAN! It really helped make our weekend special.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Hotel with a view of Luxemburg.Nicely situated at the edge of the old town.Modern design hotel with very good service and excellent food,although expensive.Check in or out can be long.Hotel does not have a private car park, but you can use valet parking

Room tip: Look for a room at the front of the hotel,levels 5 and up.They have the nicest views of the old city
  • Trip type: Traveled on business