“It could have potential to be a great place but...”
Review of Mamacita

Mamacita
Ranked #71 of 821 Restaurants in Luxembourg City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have been here several times. I have tried also many dishes and I ´ll talk about them.

The concept of the restaurant is good, modern, fresh, it seemed to be the best Mexican place to eat I have been in BENELUX.

The decoration is nice, sometimes the interiors can be a bit dark especially in dinner time.

They have to double check the Menu before print it. It has some grammar mistakes in Spanish and well, it doesn´t cost anything to put the Ñ instead the N in "NIÑOS".

Most of the times we were served by a very nice waitress I think Miry is her name. She was very helpful when we asked recommendations, and she was also friendly, efficient and warm with all the other customers.

In one of the last visits we were served by a waiter who was very nice to us, but I was shocked when I went to the toilette downstairs and I heard how he spoke to some staff members. I assumed he should be the manager or something because it is no way a colleague can talk like that to another one. I do speak Spanish and the way he said the things was very rude and to be honest I felt sorry for the people who have to tolerate this behavior in their workplace. I have experience working in customer service and I was never ever talked like that by any of my former managers.

Afterwards I told my partner about it and we were stressed because we were a bit afraid of asking something because we didn´t want to add more stress to the staff, we felt kind of pity for them, and this is not ok.

I tried:

- Fried sweet potatoes (great flavor, great idea but it is not Mexican)
- Salmon ceviche (I took it ages ago as a Menu, and I couldn´t finish! It tasted not nice...first, ceviche, the Peruvian, Equatorian, Caribbean, Mexican or any other variety, is never cooked with blue fish, like salmon, it is with white fish or other seafood like shrimps, octopus, etc)
- Todos Tacos (Assortiment of Tacos) they are delicious...home made wheat flour tortilla, but....very expensive for the portions they serve! Not too much meat and full of lettuce! The real tacos in Mexico are not like that.
-Sopes...yummy!
-Tacos dorados....sorry but they reminded me frozen ones you can get in on-line shops =(
-Chilli con carne....I know for making money is a good dish because ignorant people (the ones that never have been in Mexico in their lives) should ask this dish thinking it is Mexican....but IT IS NOT...!!!! A good Mexican Restaurant overseas, actually doesn´t offer this dish because they know it is an US Tex-Mex dish. I was very disappointed to see it in the Menu.
- Guacamole....very good, fresh ingredients, great choice!
- Arroz rojo....well done!
- Margaritas....good ones!
- Margarita strawberry....nicely presented but bitter, it would be nice to add a bit more of syrup ;)
-Elotes....great!!!!!
-Beer selection...fantastic! It would be nice to include Carta Blanca or Indio as they are quite popular in all over northern Mexico.

The presentation of the dishes are great, nicely done!

We perceived some changes in the Menu, they were good though! I know that the new chef is Mexican and we are so happy to know it as this will allow to keep this place as authentic as it should be...We hope the managers take in account people´s feedback, it has all the potential.

For the location it couldn´t be better!

1  Thank Lunita_desertica

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I was pretty excited when Mamacita opened in Luxembourg as we don't have any good Mexican restaurants in the city. I had been there before for a drink and the deco is nice, a little too bright but I finally visited to eat recently. After a bit of a wait we order some beers and a michelada. The beer order was mixed up and a negra modelo came with the michelada instead of a modelo especial but we took it anyway. The michelada was terrible. Not mixed and served in some skinny type of vase.
It's always tough when you arrive at a restaurants really hungry because you always want some food straight away. In this case we waited ages, I reckon about 45 minutes for some guacamole and nachos. Not exactly a dish that takes ages to prepare. 2 tables on either side of us who arrived after us got served before us so clearly our order had never made it to the kitchen. We suggested that perhaps some free drinks were in order considering the wait and the waitress, who was very pleasant, cleared this with the manager. Eventually the food arrived. The guac was average. We had also ordered a quesedilla as an appetiser to share. 3 tiny triangles of quesedilla arrived with a small serving of salsa and a spoonful of guac and someone had also gone a bit fancy on the plate with a squeeze bottle of some type of marie rose sauce, not very Mexican.
Then we ordered some wine for the main course. Again the wrong one arrived but at this stage we didn't bother to complain again.
The main courses arrived. Most of us ordered burritos which were okay in flavour but served with a bit of over dressed wilted salad and fries which were super salty. The squeezy bottle had also been at work here to make the plates look fancy. Essentially this is a chicken wrap a salad so charging €16.50 for it is a bit on the spicy side.
We had barely stopped chewing our last bite when our plates were whisked away. The fastest bit of service all night!
The bar man then came down and asked if we wanted coffees. We asked to see the drinks card again and it never did arrive.
We eventually ordered some coffees which again weren't great.
The manager then gave us some tequilas to apologise for the wait.
Overall I think the staff did their best to compensate for the poor service but at the end of the day the food is overpriced and doesn't taste like authentique Mexican food. I have spent quite a bit of time in Mexico and never got served fries let alone sweet potato fries there.
I think the whole thing is overworked, simplify the dishes, bin the squeezy bottle and lower the prices!

4  Thank Jeebly
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Hey folks,

I went to this restaurant several times.
The meals are good, but not cheap they are a little bit higher than in other paces around, but i fully recommend this restaurant. In Luxemburg City you have one more mexican that is called Chichis it is cheaper but very bad.

If you like mexican kitchen this is the place to be. I never ate so good mexican than there, so it is a bit expensive but the quality is top of the class.

The waiters are also nice and friendly.

Good Job the whole Crew

P.S.: I recommend to reserve a table because it is little and there are a lot of peoples everytime

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The food was average but expensive. Spicy was not that spicy for my tastebuds although they tried everything to accomodate.
DR MAK is right.

1  Thank rob d
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Went out with some friends to have some Mexican food. Not that the choice is wide in the country so we have settle in Mamacita. The first thing I didn't like about the place, is how modern and trendy the place looks & feels. I personally prefer to visit an authentic Mexican venue rather than a trendy uptight Luxembourgish / poshy restaurant.

Anyway, we sat in there for a second, then we immediately got the American style service approach: "Here are the menus, what do you want to drink?" The first thought or feeling that went through my head, that these guys are most probably renting the place by the look of the construction - hence the fancy venue, and if you damage anything, you will pay for it - and they need to meet their numbers to pay for the rent.

Anyway, we were in a very good mood, so we started with a couple of cocktails. On that note, I would not they were terrible, but they were certainly blow average. We then ordered our food, and waited impatiently. Minutes later, a lovely couple walked in and sat next to our table. They also ordered. While we were all waiting, suddenly the appetizers started rolling out on their table. "Wow ! I guess that they have messed up the order of the orders in the kitchen !" Not nice for a customer that already ordered a while ago and impatiently waiting.

A while later, our appetizers started to arrive. Although they looked fantastic, the quantities and the quality did not meeting our expectations. Although they make a great effort for a presentation perspective, the content was not up to the standards they obviously set with the decor and presentation. I mean, if you already went to Mexico or the US, you can get that quality of food in any TexMex chain.

On the bright side, the service and attention to customers' needs was great. The waiters and waitresses were really friendly, serviceable and nice. That, I guess was the only positive point in that restaurant.

At then end, we certainly planned to skip desert. Of course, we were asked - to maximize sales - but we kindly declined. I personally wanted to have a nice cheesecake, but we decided to go somewhere else for some drinks or a desert. The bill came in, and it was a bit high for what we had. Let's say the value for money was low. They are capitalizing more on the premise and presentation rather than good food or drinks.

That's all, hope this help you better decide if you would like to visit this place.

Dr. MAK.