“Solid”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Luxembourg
“Solid”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

If you want a very good French inspired meal, which definitively deserves a Michelin star, then this is the right place to go. Le Sud lost their Michelin star a couple of years ago (I think), but I think they will soon get it back. Their new chef is only 25 years old, he and his team is doing a fantastic job.

Every thing works. The composition of the menu, the quality of the food, the wine list and the service. The only thing I missed was a wine menu to pair with the food menu.

The menu is priced at EUR 78, which is very fair price. You will be positively surprised.

• Visited April 2014

• Polish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Good value for money”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I usually go there several times a year. The food is excellent for its price tag, but beware the bad service. For example, when I was there in February, the sommelier made the bread fly above the table after pouring some wine into our glasses.

Expect really good food, but not so real good service. They need to replace their whole crew.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Luxemburglar
Luxembourg
“Hard to fault both food and service”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

7 of us went to Le Sud and we all had the menu degustation. Although it is expensive (78EUR) it's not for Luxembourg and the level of cooking and number of courses made it, for me, great value.

Not only was the food outstanding (lots of mmm's & lip smacking from the diners) the wine list was also interesting and not expensive. we were pointed in the direction of 3 wines by the sommelier priced at 32, 40 & 56 EUR and all were superb.

The service was old school - talking the diner through each course, waiters appearing & disappearing, the right level of humour and attentiveness was well balanced - the team were well drilled and very good.

A funny moment in the bar when the waiter showed our table the bottle of cremant and there was no label on it!!!

I would definitely recommend this restaurant. In Lux, in my experience, only 2 restaurants do service this well. Here and Clairefontaine - do both!

• Visited March 2014
6 Thank GlobalStu
Alexandria, Virginia
“For the price your paying I think it could do better”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

So I get it's a superb restaurant, and I understand that it's one of the best in Luxembourg, but simple things like attentive service when needed and dealing with customer issues in a polite and open manner is expected.

The food was delightful, the wine list was great, but the service let this place down drastically. I want professional service, not someone fawning over my every move while I eat, but at the same time when I'm ready to order I don't expect to wait 20 minutes between ordering the wine and ordering my food.

Great place - just you really need to review what is quality service.

• Visited March 2014
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“persuading menu”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visited Le Sud for the fist time in February 2014 for a Valentine's Day dinner. We did not attend the restaurant on the 14th though but went on the 15th- so we did not have the special menu but their regular one. It costs about 80 Euros and includes 2 amuse-bouches, three appetizers, one main dish (there are 3 options to choose from) and finally the cheese, then dessert and also a scoop of home-made ice cream(2 flavors for choice).

reasons why they might have lost their Michelin star:

- The restaurant is on the 4th floor but the reception and wardrobe are on the ground floor. This means that, since they only have one receptionist, if for example two couples arrive the same time, the second has to wait quite a while before being welcomed. This is also due to the procedure of greeting guests.
- The way guests are received is a little unusual for a top restaurant : after you hand over your coat, you are asked whether you want to take your apéritif at the bar on the fifth floor or in the restaurant- I personally don't get why I should to sit at a bar when I made reservations for a table in a fancy restaurant.Then you are accompanied towards the elevator -this leaves other just arrived guests waiting by themselves until the receptionist returns! Since we were the second couple to arrive I did not really feel welcome.
- The furniture is not a good choice for a quality restaurant. They picked chairs and table lamps in a white paint worn-off look. Not very dazzling.
- The table lamps at the tables by the walls do - unlike the nice candles on the tables in the middle of the room - not really provide an agreeable dim light for the people sitting at that table.
- The positioning of the tables all over the room is a mixture of two incompatible patterns: the angular tables and the round ones stand to close to each other if the chairs on the round tables are arranged at right angle. People facing each other with their backs end up too close to each other at certain places in the room.

Of course this is high-level moaning. Those are tiny details.

In general, the dining room looks very nice: very high ceiling, impressive chandeliers, natural stone walls, very spacious. A highlight is that the kitchen is not hidden, but can entirely be seen from the dining area. You don't see much action tough, since they don't do show cooking.

For our menu, we had the snails exchanged (we got one large scallop instead) and resigned the foie gras which would have been on one starter and two of the available main dishes.
The food started to get really good with the risotto du chef and then, with each and every course got better and better! This was exactly how it should be!
You could always comment your dish with: "this course is even better than the last one"

So in the end I was fully convinced of the fact that this menu was definitely worth its money.

• Visited February 2014