“Good hotel”

Grand Hotel de Vianden
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Vianden
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Despite some of the negative comments by other reviewers I found the hotel to be generally very good. One female staff member was very abrupt at times, but the rest of the staff were friendly and exceptionally efficient. The breakfast choice was in my opinion perfectly acceptable and the evening meals were good with a choice of menu (apart from the first evening when we arrived at about 20.30). The en suite facilities were a bit cramped but again acceptable, and everything was spotlessly clean. I was on a coach tour, as were all the hotel guests, and paid the single room supplement which is standard in most hotels as the rate for a single room is almost always more than half that of a double or twin room. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank David P

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was really looking forward to my stay in Luxembourg and although I loved the country I doubt very much I will be returning to this hotel. My room [201] was small,almost cramped, and you could not spend any amount of time inside, it really was just for sleeping. The bathroom was tiny, the shower so small I struggled to get in and there was a step up into the bathroom and a further step into the shower so if you have mobility problems like i do it is not too convenient.
With the room being on the front it was not the quietest of rooms as it was low down and close to the main road that ran right outside the hotel, surprisingly busy for such a small town.
The food was average, warm rather than hot but tasty and with a fair selection of choice.Breakfast though left a lot to be desired in its choices.
The staff were not the friendliest, unless you were a returning guest, though they did seem to look after those not on a coach tour better than those of us on a coach tour. One of the staff though did stand out in her friendliness and attempts to make all happy. A number of the other staff, especially the woman on late shift were bordering on being rude and insolent.
Drinks are marked on a card and the bill settled at the end of the holiday, however you can pay-as-you if ordering drinks on the outside veranda. Well in theory you could, some of the staff refused to take my money and insisted it was marked on the card.
My main problem with the hotel however was the fact I was made to pay a single supplement and ended up in a single room anyway. It is my understanding that the supplement was invented to actually supplement the hotel owners for lost income on having only one person in a double room. When i asked the owner about this at the end of the week he informed me it was because i had room to myself. I pointed out it was a single room and he stated it did not matter because i had amenities to myself. When i pushed him further he claimed it was policy in Luxembourg to charge all single travellers this supplement [something I find hard to believe and will be checking upon].
The town itself is a beautiful little town and I would strongly recommend a trip up to the Castle. It takes time to walk up, myself i need a number of rest stops on the way, but the castle itself and the view from it are extraordinary.
As for the hotel, I would not recommend it. The staff let it down badly with the only decent member being a young girl currently on trial. The only part of the hotel I enjoyed was sitting on the veranda at the front of the hotel and relaxing with a beer and using the free wi-fi at the end of the day.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front are facing a busy, noisy road. The new section has views of the castle from t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank KGLoki
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Coach tours are not really our thing but we agreed to go with a group of friends.
This hotel seemed to treat it's individual guests reasonably but certainly not it's groups.
On arrival we were herded into the dining room and a VERY surly waitress ordered us to our tables.
Admittedly, due to Easter traffic in Brussels, we were late arriving, but the food was just short of thrown on to the tables.
The rooms are compact, clean and well appointed. They have very little storage space in the small shower room but that's a bit picky as we are used to four and five star hotels.
We were on the second floor with no lift and this proved a little difficult for the less mobile in our group.
This is a very quirky hotel and I should image if your face fits it could be more pleasant.
Our food was basic and boring although edible. In saying this, the cost of the holiday was very cheap and I presume it was just "getting what we had paid for."

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a lift access if you have limited mobility.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank DianeP478
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Clean and comfortable rooms though not the biggest. Basic but well finished. Had three evening meals and no complaints. First night because of our arrival time no choice, but plenty of options on other evenings. Breakfast well laid out, good range of breads, pastries, cereals, preserves etc. Have read a lot of other reviews, and it seems to be all about one's expectations. Ours were that we would sleep well in a clean bed, be able to keep ourselves clean and not be hungry, on that basis given the cost we were more than happy.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ancient_Briton
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Step back to the days when hotels were a service industry. Everything we requested was provided, excellent food, clean beautifully appointed room and the feeling that the owners really cared that you were contented.The owners would inquire when we were returning from a trip to ensure that they were on hand to greet us.
During our stay (5 days) the standard of food (and choice) was excellent, fresh, and well prepared. One day I had too much for lunch and declined the main course only to be offered several alternatives (not on the menu) such as omelets or a sandwich. The night before we were to depart we were offered a packed lunch for the journey; excellent fresh fare.Try this hotel if you stay in Luxembourg an hour away from the capital and hour from Germany (Trier) .

Room Tip: Our room was in the new block (110-129) very spacious and excellent WiFi connection (free)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Justmally
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our first visit was in May 2010 and this time we decided to spend the Christmas holiday here and we are so pleased we did for 5 nights all inclusive of meals. A very warm welcome from the owner Bart and his wife, not forgetting the pleasant staff. We had a large comfortable bedroom and bathroom on the 4th floor. Splendid view of the castle on high beautifully illuminated at night.
Overall the hotel is well decorated, clean and warm. We could control the heating in our room, which was good, as sometimes it could get very hot if we forgot to adjust the thermostat! Also lots of hot water. Very comfortable beds (all are twins). White towels in bathrooms replaced on a daily basis. Limited toiletries so don`t forget to take ones own.
Breakfast is a cold Buffet with a good selection of meats, cheeses,(boiled eggs hot!), cereals, rolls & bread, various cakes, preserves etc., tea and coffee, fruit juices. A good start to the day.
Evening meals and Christmas lunch, of many courses, were excellently prepared and served (compliments to the kitchen and front of house staff-they deserve the praise). Entertainment on Christmas night was provided by a very good female (Italian) singer occasionally accompanied by Bart (also good voice/amusing) which lasted for a remarkably and thoroughly enjoyment 4 hours, followed later by Bart with guitar in the bar!
On arrival one is given a card on which is noted the drinks /beverages ordered (there are price lists readily available) and the bill is paid on departure. This method ensures speedy service but may not suit everyone! One only has to keep a check on ones consumption! Cash and cards are accepted.
A very good hotel to stay in with a friendly atmosphere and excellent service. We may even return for a 3rd visit at sometime in the future (summer or winter).

Room Tip: Select a room with a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hackford
Reviewed December 17, 2013

On the 12th of December I took a group of 46 to the Grand Hotel Vianden, WOW what a find.
We were about two hours later arriving then expected but we were met with a warm welcome from the owner, Bart, his wife and staff. Having left Birmingham at 6am and arriving at 7.30pm We all welcomed the glass of wine offered and gratefully found that Bart and his staff had all our cases taken to our rooms.

My room (120) is in the new block and is beautifully appointed including a Jacuzzi, the bed was very comfortable and the mini bar well stocked. These rooms set the stanbdard for the whole hotel.

The other rooms I visited were all of a high standard and spacious.

Bearing in mind the lateness of the hour when we sat down for dinner that evening I was truly surprised in the quality of the tree course meal they provided, each and every evening they exceeded expectation. I am diabetic and they looked after me and the vegetarians in the party.

Breakfast was a typical continental breakfast with the addition of boiled eggs, all very nice.
We had entertainment on Saturday night, a very accomplished singer who was very entertaining and the visit of Elvis (Bart) made the evening very memorable.

This hotel is well placed for a visit to Luxembourg Belgium and Germany.
It is apparent that Bart his wife and staff work very hard, the rooms and the hotel are of a high standard and spotlessly clean, the efforts are rewarded in providing an excellent hotel, lovely food and great hospitality.

The attitude of the owners and staff is very much can do and will do to make their guests enjoy their stay.

Not one of our party made any adverse comment during our five day stay.

My thanks to Bart and his wife for their patience and hard work making my job easy.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank George S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vianden
0 mi away
Hotel Restaurant Belvedere
DoubleTree by Hilton Luxembourg
DoubleTree by Hilton Luxembourg
#10 of 50 in Luxembourg City

Been to Grand Hotel de Vianden? Share your experiences!