“Will (hopefully) stay here again one day”
Review of Hotel Foroyar

Hotel Foroyar
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Torshavn
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This is a very nice property, newly renovated with a nice nordic ambiance and great views of Thorshavn and the ocean. The location - perched high above Thorshavn - is great, but you will need a car in order to go anywhere.

Room was cosy, of adequate size and all rooms has excellent view, as they all face the ocean - loved the grassing sheeps outside the window.

We only had breakfast (included) at the restaurant (very good choice of food), but the "setting and ambiance" is probably (also) a great venue for a dinner as well.

We only had one complaint; one day breakfast service crashed completely due to low staffing and a lot of guest arriving suddenly due to some flight cancellations. They had to set up tables in the bar (one level below the restaurant) so you had to wander up and down to get to the buffet. Despite this, frontoffice took "walk in guests" for breakfast........

The head waiter came to our table to apologize for this and it did not ruin our stay and when back in Thorshavn we will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ole L
There are newer reviews for Hotel Foroyar

Reviewed July 5, 2011

Excellent room, great view over Torshav. But as the hotel is situated on a hill pretty far from the centre of Torshavn, the location cannot be called central. Food was okay, but not great. The staff are maybe trying too hard to be "international", while common and relaxed Faroese friendlinness and hospitality would go a long way.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sigmundm
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Wonderful Faroes hospitality, brilliant surroundings, excellent views, exquisite food - the very best I have ever had anywhere - such care and devotion to style and presentation for the benefit of the customer - Hey! isn't that what a hotel is for?
Price is on the grande side but well worth it and most hotels here are similarly priced.
Staff are so helpful.
Rooms are spacious and eventhough the Irish and Faroese national Footall Teams were stayiong at same time there was peace and quiet throughout the 3 days I was there, I want to go back soon

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This hotel has excellently equiped rooms but during our stay, the TV was only showing the three local channels. However, the TV in the Bar (expensive drinks) was working OK especially when the Wolrd Cup football was being shown - coincidence or a money making opportunity!

Be warned, there is only one lift in this four star hotel, between the reception area and the restaurant. If you room is not on the same level as the reception, you will have to use the many steps to get to your room. What makes it even worse is that there is no porter service at this hotel. Not very good for a so called four star hotel. If you have any mobility problems, please make sure that you get a room on the same floor as the reception desk.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Jakey10
Reviewed July 3, 2010

First off, I don't doubt previous reviewers experiences, I can only comment on my own.

But what I will say is that I have learned not to take too much negative comments about hotels too seriously as they can be a bit hit or miss, unless they seem to be comments which have been given a few times by different reviewers. Given some of the previous reviews of this hotel below, it did seem to suggest that a good quality hotel, had taken a turn for the worse.

On arrival my fears were instantly cleared with a very courteous and polite receptionist. There was no deposit taken off me on arrival, maybe this is something that is done when you book through a tour operator and not directly with the hotel. They just took my details and did not deduct me anything. After a short chat, in which she helped me out with whatever queries I had, I was pointed in the direction of my room.

Only a few doors down from the Presidential Suite, where Bill Clinton stayed a few years ago, I opened the door to find a more than pleasant room. You do have to understand that yes this is a four star hotel but maybe the rooms won't be as plush as say a four star in Paris or Milan! But that is in no way to suggest that it is basic. The bed is perhaps one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in! There was a shower and bath, both clean and working perfectly. The sink was large and with ample supplies. Even though it was June, the bathroom floor was heated slightly, which was a novel and good touch.

This hotels main selling point is its panoramic view on the moors and hills above Torshavn, of the town and harbour and all around, and it does not disappoint. It really was a most beautiful view and listening to the seabirds and seeing the sheep around the outside of the hotel was a charming touch, which you won't find in most other hotels around the world!

The breakfast buffet, which has come in for some criticism, I found more than ample and what was required for my needs. There was enough there, such as breads, rolls, cheese, tomatoes, yoghurt, pancakes, bacon, etc. The orange and apple juices may not be the premium products you would buy yourself in the supermarket but they are more than satisfactory and it would be nitpicking to say otherwise. A previous reviewer also commented that they found it unsatisfactory that they weren't brought tea or coffee to their table. For me, this is something I would never expect anyway and there was enough hot water, tea and coffee provided to get yourself. As for replenishing of foodstuffs and clearing of tables, you do have to realise that this hotel gets a large amount of tour groups, who come down at once for breakfast and devour more than they would normally at home. This can naturally cause a backlog in staff clearing tables when at the same time they have to prepare food and replenish supplies.

As for the location, I find it hard to believe how it takes anyone 60-70 minutes to walk back up here from town, unless the person is not that young or healthy. For me, it was about a 15 minute walk downhill to the town, maybe a bit longer back, due to going steeply uphill, but the longest it took me back was 25-30 minutes, once I even made it back in 15! There are shorter ways to get to the town! Myself, I walked everytime, but yes, for those who are less mobile or whatever, it may take a taxi or bus trip to get to and from town. Once you are aware of its position on the hill, that is the main thing.

In summation, I had a great time at this hotel. The staff were more than helpful, polite and gracious and I was made to feel at home. The room was very good, the kettle with tea and coffee supplies being replenished everyday was very good also. Waking up every morning to the sound of nature was a change from normal and why I visited these islands. The hotel was modern yet you felt close to nature due to the surroundings, it was a perfect combination.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank SarkaCZ
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Great hotel, which has everything one could ask for as regards services - great breakfast provided. Travel agent - Green Gate Incoming - offered hotel as 'in town'. Hotel staff offered that the bus station was 15-20 minutes walk. It takes a walker at least 35 minutes (mostly 40 minutes) to go down the hill to the downtown and station. Return is up the steep hill and takes 60-70 minutes. Hotel has no transportation to offer - except a taxi. Don't get stuck here without transportation. Great view of town and harbor.
They take a HUGE deposit immediately on registering.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank PaSculler
Reviewed January 13, 2010

This hotel is resting on it's previously acquired laurels.

Upon arrival to the hotel, I found it gloomy and musty smelling. Very dark decor inside. Air-conditioning had taken a holiday somewhere, our non-smoking room reeked of smoke, and piles of cigarette buts outside the window on the ledge. Very very overpriced food and lodging. There was simply no value at all in it. We were server sour applejuice for breakfast, which indicates to me that they lack basic food hygiene standards, and this was also reflected in how dirty the carpets throughout the hotel were. I noted these comments on the departure card, but since nobody from the hotel contacted me to discuss, it's clear that they don't give a toss about any form of service.

It's got stunning views, but this is the only good thing about the place... does not help to look at the view when you're choking on stench and poisoning yourself at breakfast.

I took this personally and will not be back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank farrawayman
Tinakj, PR at Hotel Foroyar, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2010

My deepest apologies for the breakfast you were served. What you have experienced is not the usual standard of the restaurant. The kitchen does indeed have very high standards both in quality of food and hygiene.

Overpriced food might be quite a common thought amongst visitors in the Faroe Islands. Buying quality food is expensive in the Faroe Islands, since a lot of it comes from abroad. For example are all vegetables imported.

At the time you have visited the hotel, we have been renovating - there might have been somewhat dusty. Of course we should have informed you of this upon check in at the hotel.

If you filled out the "Guest Satisfaction Survey" you can see the results on our website.

We hope you will accept our apologies and visit us again.

Best Regards,
Tina K. Jakobsen
Hotel Føroyar

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torshavn
Hotel Hafnia
#5 of 5 in Torshavn
Kerjalon Hostel
Kerjalon Hostel
#1 of 6 in Torshavn

Been to Hotel Foroyar? Share your experiences!