“A birthday to remember!”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed March 11, 2009

My fiancee booked us at the Grand Hotel excelsior to celebrate my birthday... having worked in the hotel industry myself, it came as quite a shock since I am quite a critic of the service given nowadays. However it turned out to be a memorable weekend, thanks to the service offered at the Grand Hotel Excelsior.
We were welcomed on arrival by the porter who took our luggage and indicated the reception desk, we stopped at the concierge desk by mistake the concierge took my name, than pointed out the reception desk and walked up to the receptionist on duty to introduce me. While compiling the registration form, we were offered warm towels and a welcome drink... a touch that knocked off my socks, the type of thing that I have only encountered when travelling to Asia, were service is astonishing to say the least. During the check in process, I noticed that my girlfriend was planing the weekend with the concierge who was jotting down bookings and giving very helpful advice, he remained at the reception desk. I also noticed that the other person who was in the reception desk had gone to man the concierge desk, such flexibility is indeed commendable.
The rooms are beautiful to say the least, I had given the Prefered card upon arrival and we were immediately upgraded to a sea front room. The room had a huge terrace and the view from the terrace cannot be described in words. The room was spotless and you could easily walk barefoot even in the terrace as everything was touroughly clean.
Few moments after our check in, we recieved a call from the front desk to ensure that the room met our expectations, I still wonder what would have happened had I said no, but I could really find nothiong to complain about in the room.
My girlfriend suggested that we have a massage, the spa menu is extensive and covers the needs of anyone, in order to get advice she decided to call concierge, Arist, was remarkable in spotting what myself and my girl friend were looking for and booked us for a treathment in the couple room... I would suggest such treathment to any couple that stays in this hotel.
We than needed an ashtray, so once again we called concierge (I was testing the limits of his disposition) Arist took it upon himself to have the ashtray delivered, so I proceeded to ask him for the number to room service, he never gave me the number as he took the order himself. Limit test passed I decided to let go, the service of Arist was indeed flawless.
On Sunday we had lunch in the hotel, it is advisable to book well ahead as the lunch is normally sold out, and for good reason, (luckily for us, Arist knew about this and booked us in on Friday when we checked in). The selcetion of food is limitless and one item is better than the other. Make sure you do not have a huge breakfast in the morning or you will not be able to make it past the starter, (that's another peice of information given to us by Arist who at this point I believed is pyschic). The service was a bit inconsistent, if the supervisors were taking care of us, than all was well, however when the younger servers took care of us the service lacked much to be desired.It would indeed help had they atleast smiled a litte. Once we finished our lunch, the waiter brought a piece of cake with a sparkler towards me, and the violinist made it towards our table playing happy birthday... I looked towards my girlfriend thinking she had organised all this, but she was as surprised as I was. An increible touch, which got me to think 'this is personalised serivice at it's best'. Upon checking, the omni-present Arist pleeded guilty.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone, the location is excellent and the rooms are beautiful, but what's more, they have people who are there for their guests, who think ahead for them and who act accordingly. The service offered at the Excelsior is matched by no other in the island. Arist is a great asset to the Front Office.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eagle1210

Reviewed March 10, 2009

I was attending a wedding in Malta with my wife and 2 small children at the end of Feb 09. I wanted to stay very close to Valletta due to the Carnival being on.

I had two choices of 5 Star Hotels. The Phoenicia or the Grand Excelsior. I selected the Grand due to the building work and redecoration at The Phoenicia. I was particular concerned about the bus terminal which can be busy and I did not wish to be woken up in the morning by honking bus horns.

The Grand was fantastic. I turned up with my hire car (people carrier) ram-packed with cases and small children. I gave the car keys to the bell boy and he unpacked the car and then parked it in the underground garage for me. I did remember to take the sleeping children out of the car !

Check in was a breeze, staff very friendly and efficient. I even had a complementary drink while sorting out the paper work. We had a deluxe side sea view room. The room was big and very comfortable. We had a spare bed for my eldest child while the youngest slept with us. This was not a problem as our bed was so big.

The staff at this hotel really look after you. As a resident you have access to the hotels cars which means getting to and from Valletta with the children is very easy.

The hotel indoor pool is large and very nice. The pool has lots of sun beds all around it. Its a comfortable place to spend an hour or so. The children loved the pool, we used it every day. The only down side is the pool area does not have any dedicated changing rooms. Guest are supposed to walk down from the room in your dressing gown. However we used the only show which is next to the steam room.

The food at the hotel was incredible. The breakfast “sushi with sparking white wine” was a real treat particularly as our first morning coincided with my birthday. I also got a complementary bottle of nice sparking rosa-wine and basket of fruit in our room. We consumed both while the children slept…!

We also ate in on Sunday night. It was a special carnival buffet with a live swiss matching band…? The food at the buffet was the best meal we had ever had… really ! In particular the fish soup was incredibly good. The food was just fantastic, such a wide selection of great food. We spent nearly four hours eating and watching the most fantastic carnival band.

This is a great hotel !!, good location, excellent and efficient friendly staff. I thought the costs of room at £80 per night inc breakfast (2 adults 2 small children) was very good. I doubt I could find better anywhere else !

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Daniel649
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I called reservations (Anthony) so they could help me out to book 3rooms for my family, he helped me out very well and immediatly booked me beautiful rooms. As we arrived at the Hotel we where welcomed by the porter as he opened the main door for us, as we arrived at reception for check-in we where welcomed warmly again by the lovely receptionist 'Kaija', offered us a lovely warm towel with a welcome drink, which i thought was very proffesional for a 5 start hotel, Kaija explained in detail about all information about the Hotel, including facilities and so on, concierge was introduced and he would give us information about restaurants we can close by visit and things we could do on our little holiday. As we entered the room, it was beautiful and spacious and our sea view was amazing. We where booked on half board (it was a theme night Mediterranean Flair) and the dinner was simply delicious. We also visited the spa, which was a relief as we needed it, the treatments where great and well worth it. The Grand Hotel Excelsior exceeded our expectations, especially reception, they where the most prompt and so proffesional, they made our stay very much enjoyable.
Incorvaja Family, room 824, 825 &828.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Conrad_incorvaja
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We spent one very comfortable night here in early March, after enduring a week in an unheated villa during the region's coldest winter in 85 years. (We had just 1 full day and 2 mornings of sun and I had a lung infection by day 4.) The hotel is plush, spacious and has the best shower I have ever experienced - and I've stayed in dozens of 5 stars. It is a bit of a walk from the centre of Valletta but there is an hourly complimentary shuttle.

We spent the evening sitting and chatting in the pleasantly furnished Harbour View lounge, as there was a force 9 gale blowing outside. It was warm except when the wind blew the main doors open, 50 feet away, throwing a draft down the whole length of the building just about every half hour.

The staff is a little aloof but perfectly pleasant, the service slow but willing, the food is passable. The buffet breakfast was plentiful but somewhat mediocre in quality. The slightly disappointing food is the reason I have marked it down to four stars, rather than the five I would otherwise have given it.

With our very nicely furnished bedroom and comfortable bed, this luxury counterpoint to the basic and cold week we had endured in the villa was complete. What a very pleasant end to an otherwise disappointing holiday!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank exotisima
Reviewed March 3, 2009

my second time in the excelsior was even better then my first visit last summer.
Felt so very welcome from the minute i arrived. The hotel is perfect, the personnel very friendly and helpfull.
The food is excellent, buffets and my lunch seafoodplatter was a great experience.
Can't wait to go back this summer

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank EindhovenJoep
Reviewed March 3, 2009

A large hotel but with the feel of a small, friendly one. Comfortable and roomy bedroom, ours was a water view. Overall standard of food was very good especially the buffet breakfast - complete with sushi and sparkling wine. Good location if you do not want to be in the busy tourist area of St. Julian's Bay. A five minute walk to the main gate of Valletta and the bus depot. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2009

The hotel was lovely. When I first arrived a friendly uniformed young man took my suitcase, and his colleagues provided me with a glass of fruit juice and a damp towel (to wipe away the dust from travelling?). No problems signing in, everyone was very friendly.

The room was very luxurious in some ways – the shower was huge with a massive head and very hot water, there was a fresh flower by the sink, lots of bits and bobs provided e.g. mouthwash, slippers and robes, chocolates left on pillows. However, the extra blanket that they gave me was old looking, and the spare bed that we asked for was actually a sun lounger, so not very comfy to sleep on!

Breakfasts were lovely, the best selection I have ever seen – everything from sparkling white wine, to freshly made omelettes to sushi (!). Plenty of exotic fresh fruit, and the staff ALL seemed lovely.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are getting it for a bargain rate. I am not sure how it compares to other 5 star hotels, as I have never stayed at one before, but in terms of the niceness of the rooms and beds I have experienced better at a 4 star in Rome. But they didn’t have all the lovely extras, I suppose!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
#4 of 15 in Valletta
La Falconeria
La Falconeria
#2 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!