Excelsior Grand Hotel
British Hotel(Valletta)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
4,374 results
All reviewsindoor pooltiki restaurantprivate beachsea viewlarge hotelevening buffetfive stardeluxe roomthe busconcierge deskturn down serviceplenty of sunbedssteep hillmanoel islandthe hotel offerspublic areasmarsamxett harbour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here with our son (20yr) and had booked two rooms - ground floor. First we tried to book transport from the ferry terminal, but they could provide this. Secondly - we checked in around midnight, but our sons room could not lock the patio door and he wanted to have this fix. When the repair man showed up after 45 mins he soon realised that the door couldn't be locked, and we needed a new room. This took another 45 min - and our son waited patiently - but neither of us could go to bed before 1.30 am. When we complained the next morning they didn't compensate us at all because they moved him to 3rd floor. They explained that he was upgraded (we wanted a ground floor room) and that was the compensation? Finally we ordered sparkling water to the minibar - and got still water. This is not a big deal - but the customer service and they way the handled the complaint is just not 5-star!
We will not come back!

Room Tip: Do not go there!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Rune V
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Rune V,

Whilst thanking you for your feedback, it is very disappointing to read that you had an unpleasant stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. We pride ourselves with our high standards of service but it is very evident that this was not achieved during your stay. I will be sending you a private message with my email address so that at your convenience you can email me more details. I can assure you that all the points that you will highlight will be tackled immediately by our Operations team. Any organisation can only succeed if it listens to its customers and implement corrective measures where necessary.

I hope that notwithstanding your experience we will have another opportunity to host you at the Grand Hotel Excelsior and make sure to offer you a memorable experience.

Kind regards
Brian

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Overall it is a great hotel. The room was nice and the service excellent most of the time. I was a bit surprised with the bathroom. You couldn't open the shower doors more than 15 cm and you had to jump over the toilet seat to actually get in or out. Replacing the doors with the sliding ones could solve the problem (?) what a let down in a five star hotel! Breakfast was great a bit monotonous and we ended up avoiding pineapple juice or fruits as they did not seem fresh enough.
We loved the fact that this hotel has its own readily available fleet of cars you can hire at reasonable prices.
We loved the service although I felt being treated more like a pest on the day we were checking out. A rude receptionist on the last day of stay can spoil even the best holiday memories. We have used the wrong credit card to pay for extras and we asked the same receptionist to help us to fix the problem. No action has been taken since.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kath K
Management response:Responded August 14, 2013

Dear Kath K

Many thanks for sharing your feedback with Trip Advisor users. Whilst appreciating your positive comments, it is a concern the fact that one of our Front Office team was not hospitable during the check-out process. May I assure you that this matter has already been tackled by the management team so as to ensure that this does not happen again.

With regards your comments on the bathroom, kindly note that the Maintenance team will be replacing the shower door. Unfortunately the original shower door was damaged a few days before your arrival and our supplier did not have the exact replacement. I am informed that the required model has now arrived and will be fitted in the next few days.

I have also checked the credit card issue. We apologise for the delay due to an administrative error. I can assure you that this has now been processed and you should receive the funds in the coming days.

We look forward to host you again in the very near future. I will be sending you a private message with my email address and appreciate that for your next visit, you email me with your required dates. It will be a great pleasure to assist you with your requirements.

Kind regards
Brian

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here for a week in July. Had a great time would definitely come again.

Two great restaurants one where you had dinner and breakfast had an excellent panoramic view of the harbour, dinner was either buffet or A la Carte both excellent food. The other one was Al Fresco and specialised in fresh fish.

The swimming pool is massive plenty of room for everyone and nice and cool as the temps were about 34 Centigrade and plenty of sun beds.

Lovely big rooms you get a complimentary bottle of water evey day and turn down service in the evening a chocalate on the pillow.

Great all round holiday lovely hotel friendly staff. If I visit Malta again will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We just went for a meal at the main restaurant, we were offered either buffet or a la carte, and we decided to go for a la carte. As a starter we were recommended by the helpful waiter a fish platter, which was very very good and as a main course had a fish (gurbel) which was very fresh. The service was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Arrived at the hotel to a warm welcome and a refreshing juice from the porter and a lovely checkin lady,leona,who told us we had been upgraded to a side sea view room.Room was very spacious overlooking a wall but you could sit on balcony and see the sea and watch sunset,lovely.Spacious bathroom free bottles of water daily and tea and coffee,fantastic
Now a few problems,felt not enough information about hotels restaurants or any local restaurants nearby.When I asked the staff nobody seemed to know any.thing???Breakfast good,lots of selection with an egg chef to make fresh,omelettes,pancakes and poached and fried eggs,all you would expect from a 5 star hotel.Afternoon tea a disaster.we waited 1 hour and 40 mins and when it did finally come the sandwiches were"doorsteps"even too big for lorry drivers to eat.Cutting long story short did complain but spoke to a Neal Debono who was a total waste of space and gave me 4 pieces of information that were all untrue or didn't happen.Evening buffet good but not cheap at 30 euros.Next problem!!9 30 pm with about 30 to 40 people still in restaurant sweets were all pastry or nuts not anything light not even a fresh fruit salad.I asked if was going to be replenished was told no so I asked for 2x1 scoop of vanilla ice cream for myself and partner at which point I was told I must pay extra.Call for manager again and this time spoke to Christopher Bonello an absolute gentleman.From that conversation the rest of the holiday was an absolute joy.The Tiki restaurant is A MUST.Food and staff TREMENDOUS.Prices 30 euros for 2 course and 36 for 3 course.Superb meal in a superb setting.Location,i would say is good but you do have to climb about 40 steps to exit hotel and 5 mins uphill and 5 mins flat walking to reach main gates of Valetta.My partner has slight walking diificulties and took us over 40mins.You can get a taxi but you are talking a minimum of 10 euros each way.After 2 days of hell the remainder of the holiday was absolutely amazing would definitely return.Oh and pool area fantastic for all ages and no problems at all re sunbeds.

Room Tip: Would possibly go for a full sea view room although didn't see one personally.If staying at hotel for relaxation and not for sightseeing would suggest half board if you can get a good deal.Have put prices on here so you can compare.Once again TIKI is a must.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple