“Too far from the City”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Too far from the City”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a week in February. Mistake. Only one restaurant open and one bar. Half an hour walk up steep steps to get anywhere. No bars or restaurants anywhere near the hotel so forced to either eat off the same menu each night, boring, or walk into Valletta and take pot luck. Staff were really friendly however and hotel was very luxurious even though mostly closed down being out of season. It's NOT a five star in my view but a good four star. Our oom looked out onto a stone wall. Only the Pool is free and there is a charge of 15Euro per visit per person to use the sauna and steamroom! Staff in the leisure club seemed quite put out that we were there and begrudgingly gave us a towel each having first made us go back to our room to change out of our clothes and put on the robes and slippers provided! Wouldn't stay again and wouldn't recommend it out of season.

Room Tip: Go for a room as high as possible! reception is on the 6th floor so go for 6th or above. Ours was on...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have now stayed at this hotel about 4+ times. Each time has been a good stay and it has to be said one of the better hotels on the Island. I know as I've stayed at most of the better hotels in the years I've been visiting friends/family/business. The only comparison being the Hilton maybe. But location and views with the Grand are better. The hire car was arranged/facilitated by them too, but one evening the bus boy left the lights on when he parked it, so I had a flat battery. It was quickly sorted with jump leads although I had to show them the best way to do this safely. After these years the wear is starting to show in some areas and care must be taken to address this on a week by week basis. Breakfast is sumptuous and will cater for everyone's needs. I have eaten in the restaurant before and that was adequate too. Because the Maltese like their pasta on the harder side of al-dente, you should tell them what you regard as al-dente! The hotel can be quiet in the winter months and the outdoor pool appeared to be un-used as the weather was cooler although sunny. If its your 1st stay in Malta it would be worth the visit then look at others thereafter.

Room Tip: A view over the Grand Harbour especially in the Fiesta season as the fireworks over the 3 cities is...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 1 night for a business trip. Great location, rooms are large and clean with good services. Not to far from centre of Valletta about 10 min walk. Just remember you cant check in until after 3. If youre booking on-line, might be worth checking with a phone call that they have received your booking. They lost mine and struggled to find another room, although the room I reserved for my colleague on the same booking was OK.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sliema, Malta
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We booked an overnight stay to attend a very special event in Valletta. Upon entering, the service was good, the food in the Admiral's Landing was average (ketchup stained sticky knives and tiny pots of mayo and ketchup that you couldn't get the spoon into). We saw our room, it looked ok for the price (the headboard was well used and rather worn) but when we needed to use the facilities in the room to get ready there was no hot water: anywhere! We called reception who assured us that someone would come and fix it. We rang reception at least 3 times before we gave up, the line was either engaged or we were being fobbed off by the staff. The next morning the shower in our room was broken and we managed to get some kind of a shower from the over bath shower. The accouterments in the room (minibar) were absent and the bathroom accessories were old and tired. It was as if the room was stuck in time: a little old, frayed around the edges, in general need of TLC. For the amount we paid for our night's stay we could have stayed two nights elsewhere. Try and avoid this hotel if you REALLY want luxury. This is luxury for tourists or people who have little concept about what luxury really is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank fallofelegeisha
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear electricgeisha

May I assure that your comments have been investigated in detail with the respective departments and most importantly made sure that the appropriate action has been taken. I strongly feel that trying to justify the issues you encountered would be inappropriate. On behalf of management I offer my sincerest apologies to you.

Kind regards
Brian
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was hotel #2 on our honeymoon to Malta (first was InterContinental Saint Julian). POSSIBLY THE BEST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN!

True 5 star hotel. It's beautiful, well taken care of, has great facilities, great rooms, very good food and the service is just top notch! The view from the pool is breathtaking also.

Keep in mind that if (like me and my wife) you prefer to walk instead of driving or taking a taxi you are looking at many stairs going up just to get out of the hotel onto the street. So if you have any kind of mobility issues or bad knees etc you may want to use the hotel's shuttle or call a taxi.

The service in the hotel is absolutely incredible, the front desk staff is friendly and very helpful. When checking out and going to the airport don't bother with a taxi, because the hotel shuttle will get you there for practically the same price in new, air-conditioned vehicles.

Our room was amazing! clean, well decorated and pretty spacious. The swimming pool and beach area is always clean, with lots of poolside chairs and 2 bars.

Overall our stay was quite great and Valletta is a beautiful city with lots of history.

If I was to write anything negative at all about this place is that there is really no bar/night life scene near by. So if you're looking for that, paceville in Saint Julian is a better fit. However, if you are looking for 5 star luxury, this is it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
kent
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks in september and had just a fabulous experience. A true 5 star hotel. the staff were so helpfull, the room was great and the food at the hotel was up to standard. The front desk staff helped us organise a great trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had to leave 2 days early and told them 24 hours in advance, they informed me they would charge me the full booked amount. When I complained they said it was policy. When I told them I would put a note on the trip advisor I got a call from a manager who told me that the booking agent would charge the hotel the full amount, we have no choice. The booking agent sent an email to the hotel and advised them that they would not charge the full amount. When I checked out I was pleased to see they charged the correct amount, But when I checked my Visa statement they put through a second unauthorized charge for the other 2 days. Maybe it is common that they have visitors that decide to leave early? Understandable the hotel is not conveniently located for people who have trouble walking, the Hotel rooms are in need of renovation, old towels, old bedding, torn headboard, and filthy carpets. The mini bar is kept empty and you need to place an order to get it filled. They couldn't print off a boarding pass and when I went to the business center the internet was too slow to access the airline site and I was informed if I printed something I would be charged. It is true they reserve a set fee on your card in case you want to use the spa or other charges, so it is apparant they don't trust you, probably because in this case I couldn't trust them with my credit card. I must say the views are wonderful, but when I and my business colleagues return we won't be staying there so in the end it will be their loss, my booking agent will also be informed. Mr. Manager look up the meaning of hospitality! However, the people of Malta are lovely people, the city is beautiful so travellers don't let this review discourage you from visiting this truly amazing, wonderful place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank g e
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!