$143
$99
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of $162/night.

Casa Ellul(Valletta)
$298
$289
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $325/night.

Castille Hotel(Valletta)
$118
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $158/night.

British Hotel(Valletta)
$149
$124
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $153/night.

$334
$241
Priceline
$149
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $171/night.

$126
$160
4,594 results
All reviewsindoor pooltiki restaurantprivate beachsea viewlarge hotelevening buffetfive starthe busdeluxe roompool staffconcierge deskturn down serviceplenty of sunbedsmanoel islandsteep hillpool sidethe hotel offers
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We used the hotel as a base to explore Malta for a few days. The hotel is huge and somewhat impersonal. It has more a feeing of an all inclusive rather than a 5 star property. The rooms are a bit dated. The restaurant felt like you were on a cruise ship with mobs of people at the breakfast buffet. Dinner was a long drawn out affair, we ended up having our meal for our entire family of 6 comped because of the slow and inattentive service. I do have to commend the restaurant management. Not only did they comp our meal that evening, they paid for another meal the following evening. This gives you an idea of how bad the service was. The pool is huge but very crowded. The same goes for the beach. We couldn't find anywhere to sit.

Overall an average experience that doesn't match up to it's 5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed in October 2012 for 3 nights. I was working in Malta during that time, so I must state from the outset that I did not fully explore all of the leisure facilities that the hotel provides.

As I was staying for work, my accommodation was provided for me, so I can't comment on the price or therefore the value for money. There had been an error of communication that meant my reservation had been overlooked. I didn't book it myself, so I don't know where the fault lay, so it could easily not lie with the hotel. What I can say, though, is that even in this trying situation they had it resolved and found a room and got it resolved quite promptly.

The rooms were absolutely top notch, the lobby, bars, restaurants, gardens and driveways were scrupulously clean and well maintained. The reception, bars and restaurants are always well manned with many personnel, so there is hardly moments a wait for service. Room service is second to none, with all the trimmings you might expect of a hotel of this rating.

I also used their in-house transport service to transfer to the airport upon departure. Booked at reception, this was perfectly organised and undertaken in the hotel's own fleet of smart liveried and near-new chrysler vehicles.

Meals are buffet style, with a bewildering choice, all well cooked and thoughtfully presented. The evenings rotate different themes of quisine to ring the changes, however there is always plenty to please even if, say, oriental isn't maybe your thing.

The hotel is very well situated, and a short walk gets you into the heart of Valetta.

In short, the Excelsior does all that should do to deserve it's rating, and does plenty more to achieve high status among the hotels available in Malta.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank greenknight010
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We enjoyed our time at Grand Hotel Excelsior in Valetta, this hotel really made our stay in Malta so much more memorable.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Valetta. Although if you don't like stairs and a walk up an incline to get to Valetta shops, it might be worth staying at Hotel Phoenica in Valetta.
I personally did not mind the walk it was still warm, but I could imagine in peak season/summer it would be quite hard for some one who is elderly or unfit.

Here are my thoughts on the hotel:

CHECKING IN
We checked in mid October 2012, it was great to have a complimentary refreshing juice upon arrival, as is still quite warm in Malta at this time.
There is also free wifi, be sure to ask what the wifi password is when checking in. The only downfall was constantly reconnecting to the wifi, but I shouldn't complain it was free.

HOTEL ROOM
I requested a smoking room for my boyfriend, we were given a room on the first floor of the hotel which at first I was not thrilled about, as I would have preferred a room a couple of stories higher. But when arriving in the room, I was delighted to find that the pool area and spa were on the same floor.
The smoking area was outside through the sliding doors.
Towels are changed on a daily basis and there is a turn down service in the afternoon, chocolates are left on your bedside table.
If you would like your mini bar filled you need to fill out a form and leave this on the door. Room Service was great and speedy service.

HOTEL STAFF
They were all very friendly and accomodating.

THE BAR
The Harbour View Bar is open 24 hours, peanuts or chips/crisps are served with your drinks. The waiters did not need to be reminded of what you ordered, they would just ask if you would like another drink.

DINING
Breakfast was included in our booking, there is quite a selection of choice for eg toast, omlette, bacon/scrambled eggs, fruit etc The breakfast is served in the Spice Island room.

We had lunch and dinner at Admirals Landing, my partner said that his hamburger was one of the best he had ever had in his life. As a vegan I was also catered for, for lunch a grilled vegetable wrap and dinner a penne pasta with tomato and asparagus - delicious!!! Be sure to tell the waiter of your dietary requirements.

TOURS/TRAVEL
As we were only in Malta for a short period of time, it was great to organise a tour through the hotel. You can choose from a 3-8 hour tour. We opted for the 3 hour tour (95 Euro each) were we were able to choose 3 places we wanted to see, we chose Mosta, Blue Grotto (it will cost 7 euro extra to go on a boat into the grotto) and Marsaxlokk (only go on Sunday when there is a craft/fish market), it was great to be able to walk around and experience these areas at your leisure. The driver will tell you a time and meet of where to meet him.

There are drivers available upon request to drive you to other areas of Malta, please note it will cost more than a taxi, so you may want to walk up to Valetta where the bus terminal is to grab either a bus or a taxi to your location. But if you do not have the time it is very convienient.

POOL/SPA/GYM
The pool area is lovely, it has a lovely picturesque view, the banana lounges are limited so you may need to wait around for some one to leave if you arrive later in the day. There are complimentary towels in the spa area. There is an outdoor bar area, where you can enjoy a drink or have one poolside. There is also an indoor pool area and a gym next door.
If you would like a massage or spa treatment, book in advance. My boyfriend was able to get a massage and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Enjoy your stay, when I go back to Malta I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cynthia B
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is a great location, just outside the city gate. Large hotel with pool and jacuzzi, spa, exercise room, poolside cafe/bar, and numerous restaurants and bars inside. We had a large, beautiful room with a balcony with views of the pool and waterfront. I thought the price, while higher than some, was an excellent value considering all of the amenities and services.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JudiSF
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently stayed in the Grand Excelsior Hotel in Malta. I was much looking forward to it. Unfortunately the service in the restaurant and pool was unbelievably poor for a high profile property that has had in the last number of years accommodated Rod Stewart, Angela Merkel, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Roberto Mancini ..... oh yes and me.

When I requested in the restaurant that the food I ordered on the basis I would get it quickly I would have to cancel I was basically told it was my fault if I was in a hurry! The pool perosnnel charges €15 on your room for every towel you take to use by the pool!! The food a colleague got was not toasted but burned! etc etc

All in all a very disappointing stay that I won't be repeating, they're are plenty of other options in this beautiful part of the world and I will try other options on my next visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business